Wednesday 23 August 2017

Alex, approximately - Jenn Bennett

Classic movie buff Bailey "Mink" Rydell has spent months crushing on a witty film geek she only knows online by "Alex." Two coasts separate the teens until Bailey moves in with her dad, who lives in the same California surfing town as her online crush. Faced with doubts (what if he's a creep in real life-or worse?), Bailey doesn't tell Alex she's moved to his hometown. Or that she's landed a job at the local tourist-trap museum. Or that she's being heckled daily by the irritatingly hot museum security guard, Porter Roth-a.k.a. her new arch-nemesis. But life is whole lot messier than the movies, especially when Bailey discovers that tricky fine line between hate, love, and whatever-it-is she's starting to feel for Porter . . . And as the summer months go by, Bailey must choose whether to cling to a dreamy online fantasy in Alex or take a risk on an imperfect reality with Porter. The choice is both simpler and more complicated than she realizes, because Porter Roth is hiding a secret of his own: Porter is Alex . . . Approximately. 

My thoughts:
Since they love movies and all I guess this is like you got mail :) Of course Bailey would go by the older version of the movie.

Bailey has a crush on this guy she knows online. They are perfect for each other and love movies the both of them...but, she never told him she moved to his town. She wants to find him and then tell him. But how to find him? She does have some issues and is afraid to open up. And the more I get to know her, the more I know she would fun to hang out with.

Porter is everything she does not want. Surferboy, annoying and hidden dephts? Things are not always like the seem. And yes I liked Porter, but I did not like when he donned his surfer boy persona. But he does say he has many faces.

They hate each other, nah, she dislikes him, he fancies her. They grow closer and closer. And I have been way out of the loop when it comes to YA books because ...oh, I can not say spoilers.

But the reader knows that Porter is the guy she has been talking to online and we all know a big drama or mess is heading their way. I mean hello it is so obvious, get a clue girl!

Conclusion
A good ya fiction book. I felt it dealt with real things and real feelings. No angst or silly drama

Narration by Melissa Bentley
She did a great job. LOL, even when she faked talking to a sneeze it fit so well. I liked her voice for this

Cover
I think she sat by the pool once. So no I do not feel it fits.


Audio CD, 10 h
Published August 15th 2017 by Tantor Audio (first published April 4th 2017)
Contemporary YA
For review

50 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one. I do love when a narrator can add in things like the "sneeze talking" and make it work. Really brings you into the story. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect, lol, it had to be when it is the thing that I remember

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun read even if the cover doesn't fit the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't seen this cover edition, but yeah agree it doesn't really fit. I'm glad you liked it though. I adored this book as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say I liked the other one either, even if it was pretty

      Delete
  4. Any YA with minimal angst is good for me, its why I'm not a huge fan of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kind of shocked that you read...and liked...this one lol

    It was a cute.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I know. I had heard good things and decided to take a chance

      Delete
  6. I don't usually read YA, but this does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yay for no angst or drama in a YA!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY for no angst/silly drama :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Porter sounds like a fuck boy! But oh my I love me some YA drama 😂
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds so adorably cute! Glad to hear the narrator did a good job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds cute. I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds really good, I like the premise of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought this was cute too, but I felt the same way... get a clue already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds fun and with that modern internet aspect to it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this author, I need to try this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah they seem to be going with the pool thing in the covers I've seen. Hmm... sounds like a good one though. Surferboy... hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this one on my wishlist. I love her writing and now I want it even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting premise, but of all the seaside towns in Cali she just happens to end up at the very same one her online crush lives? Too convenient for me, but I guess the could call it fate :P

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got this one for audio review, too, so I'm glad to see you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the idea that this is a YA book without the angst and silly drama because that's what tends to keep me away from the genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The angst and unnecessary drama is so not for me

      Delete
  21. This is in my queue to listen to and review. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have heard so many great things about this book. I definitely plan to read it. I may check for the audio since you enjoyed the narration. I will see what my library has available.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yayy! I love when these type of books avoid silly dramas.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP