Saturday 19 August 2017

Saturday Night Movie: Queen of the Desert

A chronicle of Gertrude Bell's life, a traveler, writer, archaeologist, explorer, cartographer, and political attaché for the British Empire at the dawn of the twentieth century.

Director: Werner Herzog
Writer: Werner Herzog (screenplay)
Stars: Nicole Kidman, James Franco, Damian Lewis

2 h 8 min /Biography drama history (2015)

Musings:
I might have heard the name before, it did ring a bell. But other than that I knew nothing about her.

Here she was portrayed as a strong woman who wanted more than balls and suitors. Her mother despaired since her father had sent her to university and now she was too smart for me ;) Go Gertrude!

Later she  heads out and falls in love with the desert. She travels, she experiences things. She is an archaeologist, explorer, writer and yes there is that whole look at this white woman who is all in love with their freedom thing. I try not to think too much about that. To her it was freedom since a lady like her was stuck in ballrooms and here she just saw a mighty desert. And she did seem to get it all, actually understand it their way of life. Not just think she did.

It is a rather slow movie. But hey those are the movies I always review for some reason. And I do like to review the smaller ones, instead of the bigger ones.

Still I continued to watch, while doing other things.



31 comments:

  1. I don't do well with slow movies so I'll probably skip this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole Kidman has made so many films I've never heard of - including this one. I'd watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I saw this one but I like this actress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though Nicole Kidman is a huge star, I haven't heard of this one. Sounds like a good movie to watch while cooking dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that weird too, I came across it and was all what?

      Delete
  5. Looks interesting, sometimes smaller movies are the best ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, you do seem to review a lot of these slower, quieter movies. I don't mind watching this genre, though I do have to be in the right mood.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not heard of the movie or the person-Gertrude Bell? Nope. With Nicole Kidman and James Franco in it, it seems like it would be good but I am not much for a slow moving movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds interesting although not my kind of movie. I like my movies with lots of action and explosions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I've never heard of this one. I'm surprised to see Nicole Kidman in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sound of this, I would watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've heard of this one before. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i try my best to go for the unknown ones

      Delete
  12. I don't remember hearing about this one. I am not sure about it since it is slower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, not for me. We just watched KONG: Skull Island. It was rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much better than I thought it would be

      Delete
  14. I can't make it through slow movies lol but I love the sound of Gertrude! so maybe.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm new one to me. I so don't know movies.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP