Sunday 26 May 2019

Carole's Sunday Review: Spell of the Highlander

Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7)
Author: Karen Marie Moning 

Narrator: Phil Gigante
Title: Spell of the Highlander
(Highlander #7)
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy, SciFi, Contemporary
Pages: Audiobook
Published: August 30th 2005
Where I Got It: My shelf (Audible)


It's taken him eleven centuries to find the right woman. He's not about to lose her now.


Jessi St. James has GOT to get a life. Too many hours studying ancient artifacts has given the archaeology student a bad case of sex on the brain. So she figures she must be dreaming when she spies a gorgeous half-naked man staring out at her from inside the glass of an ancient mirror. But when a split-second decision saves her from a terrifying attempt on her life, Jessi suddenly finds herself confronting six and a half feet of smoldering INSATIABLE alpha male.


Heir to the arcane magic of his Druid ancestors, Cian MacKeltar was trapped inside the Dark Glass eleven centuries ago. And when the Dark Glass is stolen, an ancient enemy will stop at nothing to reclaim it. For Jessi, the sex god in the mirror is not only tantalizingly real, he's offering his protection—from exactly what, Jessi doesn't know. And all he wants in exchange is the exquisite pleasure of sharing her bed.... 


Been meaning to read this for a while. I honestly forgot about the series until this popped up when I was looking for an Audio to buy with my free credit. Why not? I've been delaying reading the rest of the series for a bit now. 

The story follows Cian who was tricked and trapped inside of the Dark Glass for eleven centuries. Eee gags. Finally, the glass is stolen and pretty much dropped on Jessi's lap. His only hope. Jessi is working herself to the bone to graduate and really has zero life. Well...a whole bunch of life is landed in her lap and she has to help Cian or she might die. Oh dear. 



Now, I would for sure read the three before this. There are some major references here that would be a touch confusing. You would be fine after a while, but I can see some head-scratching especially near the end when some old characters come and join the story. 



At first, I liked the cover a lot. But then it annoyed me because the girl looks nothing like the main character Jessi. Jessi has short, black hair. This chick on the cover has long and light hair. Grrr. 



Now...the story was exciting. I had zero idea of how this was going to end. WELL. I know they were to have an HEA....but HOW and WHEN? It seemed so impossible. I felt so bad for Cian. I can't imagine the hellish existence. Sure he is able to come out of the mirror for little bouts of time IF someone summons him. And sure he can see outside the mirror. But gah! I am surprised the man didn't go insane. Jessi for realz needed a life. I get wanting to graduate and etc...but lord 4 hours a sleep a day and that is on a good day???? 



The characters were okay. They did get better at the end there, but at first, they were soooo boring and didn't really have a personality. By the end, I adored them. But it was a rough road at first. I especially got SO annoyed with Jessi. WE GET IT! YOU HAVE BIG BOOBS! Stop mentioning it! GAH! *grumbles* And Cian? Be more of a horny monster you big oaf! Yes, yes, I get you haven't done the deed in eleven centuries and you haven't been in polite society in a while. But the first words are you trying to mind control Jessi to take off her top? SMH. Men. Barbaric oaf. BUUUUT like I said...I grew to adore him when he was able to calm down and realize he can't be like that. 



ooooOOOoooo that ending was SOOOO good. I am SO curious to see what the Fae Queen has up her sleeves next. ^_^



The narrator was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the sound effects. I loved his accents and voice changes especially when Cian was behind the mirror. So cool. He was neat and I want to listen to more by him. 



In the end, I did like this. Cian and Jessi were rough to love at first, but I grew to like them. The narrator was fantastic!!!! Darn that cover though! I wish it actually looked like Jessi. I'll give this 3 stars. 





 




5 comments:

  1. I can't imagine why Cian didn't go insane after all that time either. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gah I really need to go back into reading her books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to one of the books in this series and the heroine was soooo annoying, but maybe some of the other books are better. Glad to hear you enjoyed the story overall! :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP