Thursday 8 July 2021

The girl in red by Christina Henry

368 pages, Paperback


Published: June 18, 2019 by Titan Books Ltd


Apocalyptic


Own




I tried reading this one last year, but I just could not. The world is falling apart cos of The cough, yeah, that was too real. Now it was easier to get into it.




Red is all alone in the woods trying to reach her grandmother, yes there is a little red riding hood connection. In flashbacks we meet her family as they plan to make the trek. But yes obvi something happens.




The woods are not without danger. There is the risk of meeting sick people, of meeting soldiers rounding up everyone for quarantine centers, crazy militia people or just effed up people.




I liked it. She was tough, she just wanted to live. There is some utter craziness going on too. I always read everything Henry writes






It's not safe for anyone alone in the woods. There are predators that come out at night: critters and coyotes, snakes and wolves. But the woman in the red jacket has no choice. Not since the Crisis came, decimated the population, and sent those who survived fleeing into quarantine camps that serve as breeding grounds for death, destruction, and disease. She is just a woman trying not to get killed in a world that doesn't look anything like the one she grew up in, the one that was perfectly sane and normal and boring until three months ago.




There are worse threats in the woods than the things that stalk their prey at night. Sometimes, there are men. Men with dark desires, weak wills, and evil intents. Men in uniform with classified information, deadly secrets, and unforgiving orders. And sometimes, just sometimes, there's something worse than all of the horrible people and vicious beasts combined.




Red doesn't like to think of herself as a killer, but she isn't about to let herself get eaten up just because she is a woman alone in the woods...




26 comments:

  1. I just finished this one about a month or so ago. I can totally see why you would DNF last year. This is only my second Henry book (Alice is the other one), but I really need to read more.

    Melanie @ Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too real!
      I read her UF books first, very fun

      Delete
  2. Ohh, I really enjoyed this one! It was my first Henry book, too. I wasn't expecting certain twists... (mainly the thing she smashes). I'm trying not to be spoilery for those who haven't read it, haha. Very intense read!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg that was weird, I did not expect that! LOL

      Delete
  3. Yes that part towards the end I was like- wha??? Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Red but I didn't like this one - although I can't remember why lol I'd have to go look at my review.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one! So happy you got around to reading it. I need to read some more from her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read her but I can totally see why you had to wait to read it. Looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes I was curious about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can see why you wouldn't want to have read this last year. Like the red riding hood link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, too on the nose for last year, but glad you could enjoy her darker version of Red Riding Hood. I've only listened to one of her books, but I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though truth be told only red about it was going to grandma

      Delete
  10. This sounds good but I can see why you wouldn't have wanted to read this last year. Cool cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVED her UF series (until the end, I was not happy with a couple things). But I never tried her more recent stuff. I'm not a big "horror" fan, and that is how these are marketed. I wonder if she'll go back to UF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked her UF books too :D Awww good times
      I do not really get the horror thing, cos they are never like omg what is around the corner scary o anything

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP