Thursday 1 July 2021

Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri

498 pages, paperback


First published November 13, 2018 by Orbit


Series: The books of Ambha #2


YA fantasy





I liked that it was inspired by India (though I did feel that the map that was exactly India was a bit too much.)




Mehr is a noblewoman, but also illegitimate and from a people that is being hunted down. She is just normal, but will learn her strengths.




I liked the magic. Her people can form the world through dances. There are sleeping gods, and Daivas.




And then there are the bad guys, the mystics, the Maha and the emperor. And they get their claws into her because of her magic.




The romance for me felt a bit lacking. She is thrown together with someone, and I guess they fell in love? I have no idea because there was no romance, or love. There was a budding friendship, fear and some respect. But yes no romance. I can't see them staying together. I also wanted a bit more from the world




What I did like about this one is that it ended! yes there is a book 2 but that is about her sister and I assume it takes place many years after this one.




I do want to read more, the world is turning dark and I want to see what happens






Empire of Sand is Tasha Suri’s captivating, Mughal India-inspired debut fantasy.



The Amrithi are outcasts; nomads descended of desert spirits, they are coveted and persecuted throughout the Empire for the power in their blood. Mehr is the illegitimate daughter of an imperial governor and an exiled Amrithi mother she can barely remember, but whose face and magic she has inherited.




When Mehr’s power comes to the attention of the Emperor’s most feared mystics, she must use every ounce of will, subtlety, and power she possesses to resist their cruel agenda. Should she fail, the gods themselves may awaken seeking vengeance…



14 comments:

  1. It sounds like this one packs a lot into the story, even if some aspects are more successful than others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a review of her latest, so I'm excited to see another one. It seems like fate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it when a story wraps up and then moves onto another character too. Hope the next one is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something that I might like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this, but I didn't read the second one. Glad to know it's probably a standalone since it focuses on another character. That said, I'm actually reading her new book now, the one that starts a new series, and I'm liking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, it was not amazing, but I do want the next one, and the new one :D

      Delete
  6. Oh... this sounds cool. I like the magic concept as you described it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer for a lacking romance. Hopefully book 2 is better

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP