Tuesday 1 December 2009

Review: Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins


Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Book 2, The Hunger Games

Genre: YA futuristic
Pages: 400
Published: September 2009

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.


I tried to hold out for the library to get the English copy, but when they got another Swedish copy I could no longer wait and got it. And started reading at once. I can't say how it is holding up so let's say that the English version is even better. (Yay I do get to find out and wont have to wait months for them to get that copy.)

I think the beginning might have been like the first book, good, and then suddenly great. I meant to read for 5 minutes but I started in that good/great gap and I could not stop reading. I did not want to put the book down. It was so intense and I had to know what happened next. She sure has a way to get a hold on you.

Katniss and Peeta are on their victory tour. Really creepy actually, it gives the president a chance to show the horror of the games again and to control the people. We don't get to see much of the victory tour and I would have liked more since that would have given us a chance to learn more about the districts. Then they get home and President Snow is still not happy and Katniss fears for her and her family. And a revolution is growing as the people turn their rage towards the capitol.

It's a great book, perhaps not as good as the first one because that first book is always amazing. But this one may start good, and it only gets better. At a certain point in the book it gets really intense and it stays that way. Now I can't wait for book 3 and see how it turns out. I want freedom for these people, The Hunger Games, I can't even start to explain my horror for them and how the districts are ruled with an iron hand. I love the world she created, a grim future without any hope.

The romance then, well I do not know if I am for Peeta or Gale. It changes, they both are great, and can be good for her. I do not know which she will choose, and I do not know who I want her to choose.

Still loving Katniss, she sure can be kick-ass, and the supporting characters are great too, this time you learn more about everyone.  And they all have something, if good or evil.

One thing though, I felt like the book stagnated at one time, sure it was great writing, but the story could have moved forward in a more different way.

The second book did not let me down, and how I will be able to wait a year, I do not know. The ending is good, and leaves you wanting more.


Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: Not liking it, but it does show the bird, and the simple cover suits the mood.
Reason for Reading: Library Book
Final thoughts: Read this series, if you haven't read a YA book then start with The Hunger Games. It's amazing.



27 comments:

  1. Great review. Her books are awesome! I wish I liked the covers of this and the Hunger Games better. They may be appropriate but they just don't do much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do need to read this series, my husband and son really liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I REALLY need to read this series! Good use of a 5-point word, stagnate, in your review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Won't read the review just now cuz I haven't started the first one!
    I kind of like the cover- the colors and the arrangement is great! But I think that's taste and thank god we don't all like the same things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved CATCHING FIRE, too--considering how much I *adored* HUNGER GAMES, I was afraid this one would be a disappointment, but it wasn't at all. I read it one sitting, late into the night, because I couldn't put it down. Like you, I have no idea how I'm going to wait for the next book in the series.

    But I'm Team Peeta all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I've heard is good things about this series, but I still haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading your review of HUNGER GAMES I clicked the buy button immediately and now reading your review of book two I want to buy again, but need to read Hunger Games first. I love it when a book picks up in greatness and delivers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how to wait a year indeed! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristina(Kristi
    I did manage to put it down cos I was soooo sleepy, but at once when I woke up I picked it up and finished it. And then I was left with dread how to make it until the next one. I can't wait.
    Aha team Peeta, well I am, and then I change, but I do root for him

    Susi
    Too simple for me I guess, but it suits the book in a way. I did like the first Swedish cover much more but this last one wasn't good at all.

    Aarti,
    Oh do do read it! So great and amazing. Lol, I was thinking in Swedish for a moment and used it there so had to use it here

    ReplyDelete
  10. patti,
    Follow their lead, you will not be disappointed. She has a way of grabbing hold of you and not letting go

    Alyssa,
    Yes they do not do if for me, the first Swedish cover was excellent, this one sucked, messy and used the same picture. Not good.
    And yay finally I get to see how she writes, no more translations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol,
    They are really good, and horrifying really. I love a good world that grips you and that feels real.

    Marie,
    It will be hard, but I will make it somehow :)

    Leontine,
    Lol, do read it soon, I hope you will enjoy it. This is really the best YA I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the lovely review B!

    I've heard nothing but great things about this series. It sounds so good.

    I hope all is well with you and you are enjoying some great reads.

    All the best
    L

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review!! I soooo need to read these books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so excited for book three and the movie

    -Eric
    Themockingjay.vndv.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am GOING TO READ these books at Christmas break for sure!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really, really need to read this series. I don't believe I've seen one bad review on either books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lea,
    Oh yes an amazing book, i am glad to have read it. Good books always makes me happy.
    Hope you're having a great week.

    Mandi,
    Oh yes read them! They are excellent and intense, and some love there too

    Eric,
    Movie, cool, but I have doubts. These books are so intense and bloody and that horror she faces makes them real. If they go and make them all PG that will get lost.

    Staci,
    Lol, good plan! I will see to that you follow it ;)

    Donna,
    Me neither, some say that this isn't as good, but they still think it's excellent

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's killing me waiting for book 3, talk about a cliffhanger ending. I still have to do my review for this one.

    Where did you find the movie news?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your review of this. I am still wondering whether to read this book or not. "Intense" and a cliffhanger ending make it sound good!

    Hugs,

    Sassy Brit
    Alternative-Read.com
    *Giveaways*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Teddyree,
    I did not find it so I do not know if it is a rumour or true. I mean it could happen cos they are sure huge.

    I know, that cliffhanger! She likes to torment us

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sassy,
    They are so worth a go, you can always read book 1 and save book 2 until the fall when the next book comes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to read the Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really enjoyed this one. The wait for the third is killing me though. LOL

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anna
    Tell me about it, the though of ...yup drives me insane, I am so waiting for Aug

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi B!

    I have this one to read, I'm thinking over Christmas. I've been making myself waiting, lol, because there's quite a wait until the third book comes out.

    It's a great series and I'm loving it!

    Great Review!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dottie,
    I know! I would have wanted to wait but I broke down, but I will get the English version so perhaps I can wait with that one at least some months ;) And then the wait wont feel so long

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP