Saturday 4 December 2010

Review: Bayou Moon - Ilona Andrews

The Edge, book 2

Genre: Rural Urban Fantasy
Pages: 447
Published: September 2010

Cerise Mar and her clan are cash poor but land rich, claiming a large swathe of the Mire, the Edge swamplands. When her parents vanish, her clan's long-time rivals are suspect. But all is not as it seems. 

Two nations of the Weird are waging a cold war fought by feint and espionage, and their conflict is about to spill over into the Edge-and Cerise's life.

Plot:
Cerise Mar live in the Mire where the Weird dumps exiles. They are poor, and others call them rats since there are so many of them. Her parents vanish and her clan goes out to war against their rivals, but something else is hiding in the Mire. And in to her life comes William, who is on the hunt.


My thoughts:
Oh I adored William in this one. I kept thinking of the guy Wolf in The 10th kingdom mini series, because he was just insane, and William the Wolf was insane too, he just managed to keep it inside. But we got to hear his thoughts and see the glimmer in his eyes, and I fell hard.

This is then the second Edge novel and this time we meet people from the Mire, weird swamp dwelling crazies the bunch of them. Cerise is one kick-ass woman who uses old magic to maker her sword powerful, and she needs to man to take care of her. William wants someone in his life but he knows that no sane woman would be with a changeling and it does break me to see him think like that. But he is such a good guy, protective, and not so good in social situations. That just makes me wanna hug him. Together they are just perfect, but they will have to work for it.

The action is constant. William is hunting a man named Spider who is a real freak. The two states in the Weird is on the verge of war, and something in the Mire can turn things around. It just depends on who gets it first. So we have William clashing with the Spider, the Hand, his band hunting the Mars, The Mars feuding with their rivals. Bodies piling up and magic going wild. Because there is strange forgotten magic in the Mire.

This weird world, the edge, located between our world The Broken, and the magic world the Weird is the best thing about this series. It is well done, and there is always something strange going on. Great world building and great history.

When I left the world I did wonder, who will be in book 3? In book 1 I saw William clearly for the next one, but here, I just do not know.

Recommendation and final thoughts:
You can just jump into this one or go back to book 1, it does not matter, but of course in book 1 you get to meet William too, and that one is really good. This is a book I do recommend to all. It's fun to read, there is action, there is romance, and there is some cool magic going on, and I always like an interesting world.

Reason for reading:
Book 1 was awesome

Cover thoughts:
She is cool, but him floating around, nah not so much. I would take him out.


27 comments:

  1. I have been curious about that other Andrews series for some time now and you encouraged me to try it no problem - thanks for your awesome review, as honest and nice as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to read Ilona Andrews. Her name keeps cropping up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree bk 1 was totally awesome and William is worth having in my holiday stockings...

    Love your round up hon..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YaY! I have this one on my tbr and now I can't wait to get to it! :) Sounds so good. Loved wolf in the 10th Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover is very green. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana
    Aww thanks, I do try my best :) I say it like I see and feel it.
    You really should try them, you have seen me liking the Kate books but these are actually even better

    Vvienne
    Hihi, yes second time this week on my blog too ;)

    EH
    He is book boyfriend worthy in my eyes after this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa
    Oh I looved him too, he was just so insane, I mean he tried to eat her grandmother and I still liked him, lol. Luckily William was not that insane ;)

    Chris
    My fav color :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are just a reading machine lately. I'm not sure this is for me but I love your enthusiasm for the books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved, loved, loved William! Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darlene
    I know, i has been crazy! I was supposed to work om this assignment, then finally on Friday i wrote half a page. The rest of the time I have spent reading. But then it has been a very cold week.

    Staci
    Do it :D

    Patti
    Hihi, I know, he was just so so, mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVED this book!!! I want book three like now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like the swamp magic idea!! glad she was such a cool character!

    ReplyDelete
  13. B,

    I loved this book. :) I'm glad you did as well. I wondered if the next book was going to be about this couple again - the way they were asked to do a mission...? I don't know.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mandi
    You and me both :D

    Carrie
    I would not like to live there but it was cool to read about.

    Michelle
    I did think about that but wasn't too happy...I mean they are allready together and all, so then that would mean conflict...nah i will rather take a new couple

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent review. I really want to try this series, but I'd have to start with #1. I hate jumping into the middle of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an interesting series.
    William sounds like quite the hero.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yvonne
    Go ahead and start with 1 :D Cos that one was great

    Naida
    He was, oh he was ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read the first one yet, although it is sitting on my shelf. Now the second one sounds good too. I need to get around to them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to drop my all other books and read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm curious about this author. I haven't read anything by Ilona yet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would you recommend this series to a Ilona newbie? Or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  22. My first Ilona book was book 1..On the edge? Anyway that one was great. Sure her Kate Daniel books are cool but it took longer for me to like those. So yes start with thsi one :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll check it out. Thx!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP