Thursday 23 December 2010

Review: The Snow Globe - Sheila Roberts

Genre: Fiction
Pages: 176
Published: October 2010

On a blustery afternoon, Kylie Gray wanders into an antique shop and buys an enchanting snow globe.  “There’s a story behind that snow globe,” the antique dealer tells her.  The original owner, he explains, was a German toymaker who lost his wife and son right before Christmas.  When the grieving widower received the handcrafted snow globe as a Christmas gift, he saw the image of a beautiful woman beneath the glass—a woman who would come into his life, mend his broken heart and bring him back to the world of the living.  For years, the snow globe has passed from generation to generation, somehow always landing in the hands of a person in special need of a Christmas miracle.

Kiley could use a miracle herself.  This year, all she wants for Christmas is someone to love.  A hopeful shake leads her on an adventure that makes a believer out of her. When Kylie shares the story of the snow globe with her best friends—two women with problems of their own—they don’t believe it.  But they’re about to discover that at Christmastime, sometimes the impossible becomes possible and miracles really do come true.

Plot:
A snowglobe, 3 women, 3 chances to find what they want.

My thoughts:
This was such a sweet book, and perfect for me since I wanted something about Christmas to read this week and then this one fell in lap.

The miracles are sure there, they can't all be hallucinating. Kylie is the one buying it. She has no job, and no man longer since he left her for her sister. Heart heart longs for something. And the globe is supposed to have given the man it was given to his heart's desire. And since this is a happy sweet book then you know it will be like that. Kylie then passes it so her friend who is so busy and cares only to have the perfect house, but she has something to learn about family. Lastly it passes to the third friend, who is going home to her horrible family for Christmas. All stories were lovely and short. Miracles work fast.

The book was so easy to read, you can just sit down a cold afternoon with some hot chocolate and find a bit of happiness in this book.

As for the miracles, well that is just some strange unexplained magic, and I liked it this way. Nothing was said, so I am gonna think it was Magic Elves who made this globe.

Recommendation and final thoughts:
I would recommend it, it's short, it's sweet and it's a cute little book to read before Christmas, or in the wintertime. I liked Kylie's story the best, but Suzanne's story made the biggest impact, because she learned what is the most important. Allison's story, I might have missed why she got happy there. But all in all, sweet, romantic, and fun.

Reason for reading:
'tis the season
Cover:
Sweet


Oh winners!
The Winter Sea
Velvet and Deborah

The Winter Hop giveaway
Nina

All winners have been emailed :)




20 comments:

  1. This sounds like a sweet and simple read - I really should try more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this one yesterday and thought it was sweet and simple too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa
    So good to have sometimes, espeically after having read some long books this week. So I just sat down with this short one and finished it fast :)

    Staci
    It sure is :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Thank you! I just e-mailed you back.

    This does sounds like a fun read. And it's quick and short, which I like. Especially for the hollidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really lovely read, I have to say. And I have to admit that during the time like this, I love the mysterious element to be a mystery rather than having some sort of explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a nice story. Sweet and short, good for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww, sweet one. i'm glad to hear i can read this one in the winter in general rather than before christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nina
    So perfect :) Cos I have already noticed the lack of reading, there will be three days where I am reading nothing, the horror

    Shy
    I liked that. Cos if they had seen this or that, then the story would have lost some of that miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol
    So hard to find time to read eight now so it's easy to sneak in a book like this one :)

    Velvet
    It works good either way, since Thanksgiving is there too :) So Xmas, Thanksgiving and winter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who wouldn't want such a globe? I was once infatuated with them - I could observe for hours the nice effect of light dispersing on minature snowflakes swirling around...lovely choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like a sweet read. I should put this one on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ana
    I liked them too, but one xmas the water in mine were just gone, and now, well ye I do have one tiny little one left

    Melissa
    Sweet is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this one on my list to get. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. *wistful sighs* You find the neatest books, Blodeuedd.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey honey! You did a great job of reviewing this one. It really does sound very sweet and light! I may have to look into this one!

    I hope you and bf have a great First Christmas together in your home together. I hope you had a great week and your Christmas weekend will just as awesome! Hugs to you honey! I treasure my friendship with you honey! Hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yvonne
    I hope you like it if you get it, cos it will be sweet

    Redd
    I try my best :)

    Cecile
    *hugs*
    Thank you so much, you are truly the sweetest. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too with your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alyssa
    And fun to read, how i love short sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Naida
    Sweet and short does the trick :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP