Monday 7 November 2011

Review: To Seduce an Earl - Lori Brighton

Series: Seduction #1
Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 270, ebook
Published: July 2011

Grace Brisbane will do whatever it takes to save her dying mother, but with a stepbrother intent on gambling and drinking, their funds have run dry. What’s a girl to do when she’s left poor and destitute? Seduce an Earl, of course. Handsome and rich, the Earl of Rodrick is the perfect target. Unfortunately, Rodrick despises innocent virgins. There’s only one place where Grace can learn the secrets of seduction… Lavender Hills. The moment Grace spots Alex, the man who will teach her the ways of intimacy, she knows she must guard her heart. Alex is charming and gorgeous and completely inappropriate. 

As a young man, Alex Weston is blackmailed into working at Lavender Hills in order to save his family from London ’s prisons. There could be worse ways to spend his days and nights. Still, seduction has become a chore and thoughts of freedom keep him up at night. Until he receives a new client, the sweet Grace Brisbane. He should be thinking only of his growing need to escape, instead he’s captivated by the lovely Grace. The more time they spend together, the more he realizes that their brief meetings aren’t enough. For while marriage between a lady and a whore could never happen, Alex knows in his heart that he is willing to accept nothing less. 

My Thoughts:
Not long ago I read my first book about a nice whore, this time it was about a male whore. But him I just felt so sorry for. 

Alex has been a male prostitute for years. He did it to save family, something I can admire. And later on he stays to save his family. I get it, if it came out that their son was a whore then the scandal would rock the ton. Not to mention all the people he would recognize. He is lost, he his bored, and I did feel so sorry for him. At first it may have been fun, a 16 year old boy and all the women he could get, but now, not so much. 

Our heroine does not seek him out, but later on well yes she needs to seduce an earl so she can marry him and save her family. And he seems to like experienced women. Oh, Grace, her guy has something over him, and she is so blind. Well not for long as she will fall for Alex. Now if this is not a match that is doomed then I do not know. A lady of the realm and a male prostitute. I was pretty unsure how Lori would pull it off, because there were so many things that I could not have seen happening. But she found a way and I was very happy with the way the book ended. A great big HEA too. 

What I was a bit unsure of was the whole oh I am Russian and we had to hide and stuff plot. I just did not see why they would be shunned, but hey it was needed for the plot so he would become a whore. 

I think the end was the best part, not because it was a HEA and all that, but because it felt like the best conclusion that could be. Real too.

Conclusion:
If you want a different sort of historical romance then give this one a try.

Cover:
This one I like.


34 comments:

  1. If you're ever interested in reading an m/m historical about a male prostitute, you should check out Ava March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a very different historical romance then we are used to reading--I'll definitely have to check it out! :D A male whore, hm? Should be...interesting.

    Enjoy,
    TBQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww. Now I feel really bad for him too! I want to yank him out of the book and tell him he doesn't have to whore himself anymore! Glad we get a nice HEA though, that always makes me happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to give this one a go! It sounds like an interesting twist to the standard historical. Plus, how the HEA is managed sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm... I'm finding it a bit hard to feel bad for a male whore. LOL

    I think my favorite male whore to date would be Bones. He made the best out of his situation and enjoyed what he could of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex sounds like an interesting character. Definitely not the standard historical romance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am cracking up at your first line about a 'whore'! Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds different and it could be fun to read from that point of view. And I still need to try Brighton's books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope, this review is not seducing me into reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a different kind of romance. I wonder...ok, I do not wonder but your first one was simply priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Not long ago I read my first book about a nice whore, this time it was about a male whore."

    Yep, I'm reading on, for sure. ^_^ Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. The protagonist, the subject matter, the fact that it's a bit different...all reasons why this is going into the TBR top 40. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris
    Was it Ava who also was Evangeline Collins? Or what was her other name?


    TBQ
    Yes a male whore, not something I come across in my books that often ;) And I liked it, maybe cos he did not do much whoring.


    Jenny
    I know, poor man, he must be hugged and saved!


    Felicia
    I will not tell, but I was happy with it...but I can't say why


    Missie
    But he was taken in by an evil madame and groomed since he was 13, you must be bad for him.

    Well, he did enjoy it at first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol
    Nope, not standard at all :)

    mary
    That it was


    Vivienne
    Lol, I am glad I made you lol too


    Elysium
    She has quite a few by now so lots for you to choose from


    Aurian
    Oh not at all?


    Ana
    Haha, I am glad.
    'And since there was a HEA, then perhaps to sweet for you evil one ;)


    ALisha
    YAY, Just saw it on Goodreads too, I hope you like it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, Ava is Evangeline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris
    Ok..hm...I did want to read her book about that male courtesan but that one was not MM, but I do want to try the Ava books too. Because I liked her writing

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your opening lines about the description, made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds good. I just added it to my wishlist at Barnes & Noble. Your website is making my shopping list way too long. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am intrigued...a male whore..hmmm I may have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought all men were whores? O.o LOL

    I like the idea that it is so different and it sounds fun. Plus, it does have that HEA, so I'm game! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. doesn't sound like my cup of tea but I always root for the underdog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a different twist with the male prostitute angle. It sounds like a good read and you've got me curious to see how the HEA comes about.
    ~ Monique

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well this one certainly is different and intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Not long ago I read my first book about a nice whore, this time it was about a male whore."

    You crack me up, seriously! I love your blog - you just got yourself a new follower.

    And I might just try this one - I am not terribly fond of the same-old, same-old when it comes to historical fiction. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great you understood my comment - of course I meant your first sentence! Sorry!

    @ Melissa:
    I thought all men were whores? O.o LOL

    Yes, they are, just most of them hide that fact in the closet and pretend otherwise ;).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Reading your review it looks to me like the story telling quality is very good but not quite masterpiece. However, the ending sounds kick-ass! A book I might want to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amused
    Ok everyone seems to like that opening line *makes not to try that again* ;)


    Yvonne
    Hihi, that is my evil plan muwahahahah


    Kimba
    Aye, a make whore, I guess they need to whore around too


    Melissa
    You naughty girl, poor men if that is what you think of them...eh, we are all whores in thsi great universe, lol.

    Yes indeed, it's romance, so there is a HEA, and one you will enjoy.


    Staci
    Me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. AsianC
    I can't tell...ohhh I wanna, but nope, my lips are sealed ;)


    Mystica
    Different is sure good, something that takes you to places that are new, and not always good, but hey they got a way.


    Nikola
    Hi :)
    Hihi, well thank you, I am happy my opening line got you all laughing.
    There sure seems to be a lot of the same out there, not that I mind, I love that stuff, but I sure like new things too


    Ana
    I guess my brain worked today cos when i looked at it today I went o_O Haha, that is me.


    Cherry
    I am very very picky when it comes to masterpeices, only fiction gets true masterpieces status from me. Other books can rock my socks off, and I can re-.read them 100 times, but still no masterpiece books

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a cute cover and the book sounds very good.
    A man whore? That caught my attention right away...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  29. oooh you're really making me want to read this one!! and the cover is absolutely gorgeous!! if this had a print version i'd definitely be buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the cover on this one. I don't say this about romance books often. Ahhh poor guy :(

    ReplyDelete
  31. Naida
    Yes everyone seems to pay attention to the man whore part, lol


    Carrie
    Sadly no print :/



    Alexis
    It is sure one of my fav Brighton covers, so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh this one sounds good. :-) I'm definitely placing it on my TBR list right now. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP