Friday 3 May 2013

Review: The Sisterhood - Helen Bryan

The Sisterhood is a story that covers many centuries. Not only is it in present time. You also get glimpses of the 1980’s as well as the 16th century.

Menina has always known she is adopted. She was found as an orphan after a terrible storm in South America in the 1980’s and brought to a convent. After a while she got adopted by a couple in the USA. The convent made sure Menina’s parents would give a medal that Menina was found wearing around her neck, and an old book written in Spanish and Latin, to Menina when she was old enough.

Menina is planning her wedding to a young man called Theo. But when the engagement is broken shortly before the wedding, Menina is very sad and wants to get away from everything. For school she is going to write a paper about an old Spanish painter and she gets an opportunity to travel to Spain to find out more about the painter and how his works are connected to her medal.

Her trip in Spain doesn’t start well when her money and her mobile phone among other things get stolen and she misses her bus to Madrid. She ends up at an old convent and there her work begins.

Parallell to the story of Menina is the story from the 16th century. It’s about how the book that Menina got was written and how it and the medal had to be sent to South America in order to save it. It’s about what happened at the convent in the 16th century and what happened to the book when it got to South America. The book was hidden for centuries but found shortly after Menina had been brought to the convent in the 1980’s.

It’s a very thrilling book, interesting to read. I really enjoyed it. I would recommend it to those who are interested in reading about 16th century convents and anyone who loves a mystery.

I give the book 4/5.


Fiction/historical fiction
Paperback, 402 pages
Published April 30th 2013 by Amazon Publishing
For review




24 comments:

  1. Oooo I like that we get a parallel story about how the book was written, that's very cool. Sounds like a super interesting read, thanks for your thoughts Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this one but I don't know a lot of romance series. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like a good historical setting. I also like parallel stories. Will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is getting a smiley today :) Dunno what to say as I haven't read it

      Delete
  4. This sounds like an interesting story! I love when mysteries go across time periods. Great review, I'll have to check this out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Anna!

    Oooohhhhoooohhh I love stories where there are multiple things and times going on. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to remember this one for future reference. I can't say I've read many books about 16th century convents, but it does sound really intriguing and I like the fact that it's got some thrills (too often I find historical fiction lacking in thrills!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok..now this sounds so interesting, glad you enjoyed it and I am adding it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually don't like two different story lines going on at the same time but this does sound good.

    *writes down in notebook* :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Sisterhood sounds good, I do enjoy parallel stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting read. Sounds like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the 80s would be interesting to read about in a time travel book..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this on another blog and on my Kindle Ad and I was so tempted to get it,but alas drowning in books! I haven't read a good historical spanning novel in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review Anna! This book really sounds like one I would love. I enjoy reading about convents so this one is being added to the 'to buy' list.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP