Saturday 23 February 2019

Saturday Movie: Dumplin


Happy February!

We'll be discussing 'Dumplin'. I am in red and Carole in orange.


Dumplin' Poster
Title: Dumplin

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Musical
Running Time: 1 hr & 50 mins
Rating: PG-13
Released: 2018


Willowdean ('Dumplin'), the plus-size teenage daughter of a former beauty queen, signs up for her mom's Miss Teen Bluebonnet pageant as a protest that escalates when other contestants follow her footsteps, revolutionizing the pageant and their small Texas town.



TRAILER:



DISCUSSION: 


I can’t remember the author of the book this was based on, but yes I chose it because it was based on a book, as one does ;D

This was a really good pick. I’ve heard so many people like it, so I’m glad we decided on this one.

I am happy too! I did not know what to expect, and I did not expect this. I honestly do not know what I expected, but it felt more, I do not know, sweet? Ok not sweet, but ugh if I knew what I meant! Lol. It was just nicer. Omg like I imagined something dark. Blah, I am rambling!

Haha. I get what you’re saying. I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I was surprised I only cried the one time and that was because it was a beautiful scene and it made me want to shake Will! HE LOVES YOU DAMMIT! I loved Bo. He was so sweet. She deserved him.

I was a bit afraid for her, I mean I got her. She had doubts about him and I had ones too. I wanted to believe him, but at the same time, what if he was just being an ass!?
I will also say that I did not cry. But then it took me 3 times to watch this movie so I was not that invested in that scene as I should have. But that is the thing with all my movies these days

I get it too especially since I can relate with her and I get the body issues. I had my doubts when BF and I started dating. Like how can you love me!!?? Me of all people! So I get it, but his speech would’ve done me in if I was her. He was genuine and so sweet. I loved him. LOLLL
It took 2 sittings for me because of work. I have a hard time watching movies now. It takes a couple of sittings for me too. Not enough time in the day!

The car scene, yeah I got it there. But I get why she ran. But dang, that boy was sweet and well, yay for them then ;) And now I do not know what to say. Like what should we discuss? Her horrid mum? The pageant?  Ugh her mum, her mum it is! How can she spend that much time with other things than her kid? I know it brings them close in the end, but too little too late for me.

I get why she ran there too. I would’ve. How I knew he loved her was when he said she was beautiful and screw what people think and that screw those people who make her feel bad about her body.
Ugh. Her mother. She is so blind and living in the past. Maybe they wouldn’t be hard for cash if she wasn’t buying dresses and spending so much on hair and etc. SMH. I was done with her the moment she got mad at Will after she got suspended. You can’t get mad at Will for loving her aunt so much more than you! You love those skinny pageant girls more than your own daughter. Grr!

I forgot about the suspension! Go Will!
And yes her mum was still living her glory days, I mean come on! That was ages ago. And yes she loved those skinny perfect girls. Booo. But Aniston did do a great job with her!
I wish we had seen more of the aunt, she sounded so lovely.

Aniston did a good job. I was unsure of how I was going to take her as a character you’re not supposed to like right away because Aniston is so beloved and normally plays the Girl Next Door characters. But she did awesome.
Yes! I wished we could see more of the aunt. I adored her and so did everyone else. I loved the drag queens. They were fun and I loved how supportive they were of Will and her pals!

They were cool! And so supportive. The girls needed that. Awww yes, I liked that.

What did you think of the whole Dolly Parton influence of the story? The music, the drag queens, etc?



I honestly do not know a lot about her other than blonde and music so I can not really say. Good music

I do not know much either. I liked how that was a huge part of the story. Dolly Parton is all about love and friendship and loving yourself. I felt it fit very well! Plus her music isn’t bad for country ;)



Aha. That is more than what I knew!

Hahaha I only know that based on some of her quotes that have been thrown around here and there.

Sorry! Ooops, forgot the time. My parents came, S woke and SO messed up the pizza!

I wondered what happened! I thought you fell asleep or S destroyed the computer in baby rage ;)

I truly spaced and then I was all damn! I am writing with Carole!

Hahaha ‘tis okay! Did we want to wrap up? Final thoughts?

I did not feel it was amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it because it was light and fun, with some stronger things in it too. Good actors too. I wonder about that movie now

Yess. It was very good overall. Not amazing. Some unbelievable bits that would never work in real life. But this was a fun watch and I liked it a lot. It makes you laugh, feel, and it is a great people story. A unique spin on an age-old story of someone who is trying to make it in the world and love themselves. I liked Will and I loved Bo. The drag queens were amazing. I liked Will’s friends. The mom. UGH. Sure she gets better, but still. SMH.

The end?


Yes! The end. :D 


7 comments:

  1. I do want to watch this one but I feel like I need to read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this movie too. Now you need to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so do, buuut, I never do after I have watched the movie

      Delete
  3. Oh cool, I totally forgot that NetFlix made a movie. I think it's so awesome that they're adapting all these books.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D I think I'm going to make JP watch this

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP