Monday 8 February 2021

Carole's Monday: Fourth Sister




Author: 
M.L. Farb 
Title: Fourth Sister (Hearth and Bard Book 2)
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal
Format: ebook
Expected publication: February 10th 2021
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


Summary: 
Shi, shi, fourth and death.
Fourth sister and twin to death.
Brother born silent.

Blamed for her twin brother’s death, Shisei, the outcast fourth of seven sisters, apprentices herself to a mask maker; but when the local Kazoku accuses the youngest sister of killing his son, Shisei must lead her sisters in a deception that will either save the youngest or condemn them all.

Fourth Sister is a Japanese fairy tale retelling with sparse poetry and gold-mended brokenness. A Studio Ghibli type story which invokes reflection.

Review:
I've enjoyed previous novels by this author so I was excited to check this one out!

The story follows Shisei who is the fourth of seven sisters. She blames herself for all the bad things that have happened to her and her family. She leaves and becomes an apprentice to a mask maker. When the local Kazoku accuses Shisei's youngest sister of killing is son, Shisei must take the lead and save her sisters. 

What a beautifully written book. This was so enchanting and intriguing! This author really knows how to weave an enchanting story for the readers. I couldn't put this down. I honestly finished this in just a couple of sittings because I had to find out how all this was going to end. 

I really enjoyed the mixture of Japanese lore, culture, mystery, and fantasy elements. It all came together perfectly in the end. 

I felt so bad for Shisei. She feels like a curse. I just wanted her to find her happiness!

**2/8 EDIT
You can for sure read this as a standalone! I read book 1 and that was good. I didn't realize Vasilisa was technically "book 1". That one was really good too. :) 

Overall, I loved this book. It was so good. It was enchanting and intriguing. I couldn't put it down. I for sure recommend this. 5 stars. 






7 comments:

  1. Oh I didn't know about this one but it looks good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good, glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the historical fiction bit but not the fantasy (in big doses). Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know it can be read as a stand alone! Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is new to me, but you are so convincing! Love the cover as well.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP