Sunday 4 September 2011

Review: Good Girls Don't- Victoria Dahl

Series: Donovan Brothers Brewery 1
Genre: Contemporary romance
Pages:  384 (ebook)
Published: August 30th 2011
Publisher: HQN
Source: netgalley

With her long ponytail and sparkling green eyes, Tessa Donovan looks more like the girl next door than a businesswoman—or a heartbreaker. Which may explain why Detective Luke Asher barely notices her when he arrives to investigate a break–in at her family's brewery. He's got his own problems—starting with the fact that his partner, Simone, is pregnant and everyone thinks he's the father.
Tessa has her hands full, too. Her brother's playboy ways may be threatening the business, and the tension could tear her tight–knit family apart. In fact, the only thing that could unite the Donovan boys is seeing a man come after their "baby" sister. Especially a man like Luke Asher. But Tessa sees past the rumors to the man beneath. He's not who people think he is—and neither is she.

My thoughts
This is the first book in a trilogy about 3 siblings who own a brewery. First up is Tessa who is the peacekeeper between her two older brothers. She tries her best to keep the wrath of the good one of the playboy brother. But this book is not about them, they will have their spotlight later on.

Tessa is a good girl, she works hard and she is good at hiding things from her brothers. Most importantly that she dates. Oh those brothers think that their sister never even looks at men. But then they are very protective and I can’t fault them for that quality. Still they sure do not want her to date Luke Dasher as he has a bad rep. But this bad boy cop is not a bad boy after all when we get to know him more. He has had it rough.

The story is about these two trying to get close, but there is that reputation in the way, and her brothers. But that will not stop these two from getting a little passion in their lives. There is also the story about who robbed the brewery.

Sure the book was good but at times I just do not know. It felt like there was something missing. Perhaps it could have been a tad funnier. I just do not know why I did not like it more. Because I still enjoyed the book. It was a nice story about a two people falling in lust and love. I also liked her brothers, even the good boring one, I actually liked him more. He had to grow up so fast and take care of his sister and brother when their parents died.

Conclusion:
If you like her other books then I am sure you will like this new series too.

Rating:
Ok

Cover:

26 comments:

  1. I've heard about Dahl's humor in her books but humor, like many other things is just so subjective. And I'm known for my quirky humor ;) I will give her a try some day and I hope Dahl has my kind of humor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be unjust to judge a book by its cover but I hate pink so I don't think I would touch this one without a gun held to my head. Even then I would negotiate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I like the idea of the brewery. ;) And sound like the book needed a little spark of something more. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this author before. I like the idea of the book so maybe I need to think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leontine
    I did like another book I read by her, but there humour there was not my kind either


    Ana
    Lol, it sure is very pink and I do think I can safely say it would not be for you


    Melissa
    For me something was missing, but at least others enjoyed it


    Elysium
    She has written a few different series :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the name of the series Donovan Brothers Brewery :P
    This sounds like a fun read. I do know what you mean by 'something was missing'. Thats happened to me to, yet I still enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The summary sounds good but I guess it wasn't funny enought. Maybe the next books about the brothers will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the first book in a trilogy spends so much time establishing the story and characters it's not as much fun as the rest of the series. This sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naida
    Exactly, I still enjoyed it, but I still felt something was not there. Something that would have made me like it more


    Jenny
    Perhaps. it did show promise but then, oh I just do not know


    Bermuda
    True, and sometimes the rest of the books are worse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it's so hard to figure out why a book didn't work for us, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL You even liked the good boring one. :)

    Oh I am curious about it because of the above statement! I love your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that it's a book about girls owning a brewery! That's kind of unusual. Too bad it wasn't funnier though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review. I know what you mean about something missing and not being able to figure out what. I hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I also liked her brothers, even the good boring one" LMAO! I liked your review. You are very right in saying that it felt like something was missing. I'm gonna keep reading though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished Good Girls Don't and really enjoyed it - read it in a day! Tessa did drive me nuts with her lying though, and I liked the ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chris
    It sure is. All the pieces seem to be there but still nothing


    Melissa
    Lol, well he was good, I like the good ones


    Amused
    Only one girl though and two guys, but at least she has a share too


    Dana
    It's not fun, and it would be so much better if I just could say what not worked


    Julie
    I hope you enjoy it more than I did :)
    And the boring brother, he was jus so nice


    Patti
    I am glad you enjoyed it. Because in the end, Dahl is a great writer

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I wanna hear about the brothers more; they sound interesting. Sometimes it's hard to explain what hard-to-define quality is missing so that you're not completely satisfied with a book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read a lot of review about this book, somehow it is not as funny as her previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry this wasn't better as it sounded promising. It sounds like it fell flat -- oh well, on to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm intrigued by this series because I love a book that can make me laugh, but it sounds like this one isn't quite as laugh-out-loud funny as it could have been (and maybe it wasn't supposed to be). Thanks for your thoughts on it, I might pick it up at some point but will probably wait a bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Steph
    So true. And with this one I just can't give an answer. But yes perhps the brothers will have better books


    Aurian
    A shame really, since I do like funny books


    DC
    I already have :)


    jenny
    Not for me at least. And I could do with a good laugh *tries to think of a good funny book to read*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your honest review. This doesn't seem like the book for me- but I can see how it might appeal to others. I do like the setting for the book- and think that could be quite interesting.

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens sometimes and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Fairday :)
    That happens when you have more than one account I guess :)
    And that book you are writing looks good

    ReplyDelete
  24. i've heard she's an awesome author, i haven'r read anything by her though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awwww. I've always wondered what it would be like to have an overprotective bother. It sounds like it would be great and annoying at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carrie
    You can always try one and see if you liker her style, since she got both contemporary and historical romance books


    Missie
    Lol, same here. But then I am sure that would just have annoyed me so much

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP