Sunday 11 September 2011

Review: The Hour of Dust and Ashes - Kelly Gay

Series: Charlie Madigan #3
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 324
Published: August 2011
Publisher: Pocket
Source: My own


To save her sister, she must stop a silent killer. . . .
Protecting Atlanta from the off-world criminals of Underground is tough enough, but now Detective Charlie Madigan and her siren partner, Hank, learn that the addicts of the offworld drug ash have begun taking their own lives. Ash makes humans the perfect vessels for possession, and something or someone is leading them to their deaths. Charlie is desperate to save her addicted sister, Bryn, from a similar fate. As New Year’s Eve approaches and time runs out, Charlie makes a deadly bargain with an ancient race of beings and embarks on a dangerous journey into hellish Charbydon with Hank and the Revenant Rex to save Bryn and make it back before it’s too late. Only, for one of them, coming home means facing a fate worse than death. . . .

My thoughts:
Omg, yes I have to start with a omg. This book has a nice little ending where the problems of the book are solved, but, the but is a big one. Then there is that one lose thread, that cliffhanger that makes me say that Kelly Gay is one evil woman, and please can I have book 4 now.

Atlanta is now covered in darkness after the events in book 2. Charlie is back and doing her job. Kick-ass as always,a  fiercely protective mother, and just nice. I like how she handled Rex, oh by the way, I am totally falling for Rex. I hope he stays just like that. A sweet guy. And now many would handle it like she did, when a spirit tookover her dead ex-husbands body.

Ok to the action, non stop, they are dealing with suicides (ash users), and since Bryn, Charlie's sister is on ash then she has to be guarded. Someone is pulling strings but who? She will also do something big to save her sister, and even go to hell. I must say I liked Charbydon, it sounds so scary and cool. But then that is "hell" should be like. So a lot of dangerous situations, monsters and that hint of romance. Yes I did not forget about that. Hank, her partner and Charlie has been sniffing around each other for a while now, and they still are. But the tensions are there and I just wish they do it already ;) But then he is just too good looking and can make a woman melt with the sound of his siren voice. I do get why she takes it slow. Oh Hank, damn, I am falling.

Then I am back at the end. I can't say anything but I want book 4 now because, because...well I can just say you would want it too. That book is going to be hell of a ride and I am pretty scared now what Kelly Gay will think of.

Conclusion:
A good book that had me reading and yes we all know what I thought about the end. I will need to buy that book at once when it comes out.

Rating:
Good

Cover:
Cool


21 comments:

  1. The more I hear about this heroine, Charlie, the more I like her: a kickass single mother who goes to hell to save her sister - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a series I really need to read! I like that she gives a conclusion to lots of little plot threads yet still tortures you with a cliffhanger:) Thanks for this recommendation, I'm off to look up the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only skimmed the review as I have yet to read The Better Part of Darkness, but any review that starts with a positive OMG means I should have started reading this series yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cliffhangers make me cranky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mel - a positive OMG in a review make me prick up my ears immediately. Thanks for another series making my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great read if your review begins with 'OMG'...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know! I know!! Wasn't this book just delicious? I loved it even though I also want book 4 like NOW!! Oh should we go kidnap Kelly so she can give us book 4 already? I'm game. Just let me get my net. Oh and although I also love Rex... you can have him as long as I get Hank. Deal? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph
    When you put it like that, wow, damn why did I not put it like that :D


    Jenny
    So tortured me, evil evil author. But I did like how she fixed what needed to be fixed, but still left us wanting more


    Mel
    You must read it! I was hooked at once with book 1


    Chris
    Me too :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana
    I do like my omgs, they are just so awesome


    Naida
    Lol, well I was just so omg at the end


    Melissa
    Great idea! Yes let's kidnap her...hm, that sounds evil, let's just steal the manuscript ;)

    ...ok deal :D I take Rex and you take Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. great review! i have this one on my shelf waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had to check if library has the first book but nope. Still no...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I'm convinced. I need to read this series. LOL I'm off to check for it on B&N. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep seeing this book everywhere. I didn't realize it was part of a series. Oh cliffhangers! I curse you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaaa. This is another one I must have. :) I can't wait to get it. Great review. Now I need it now! lol. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just saw this book at the store and was wondering if it was any good. After reading your review I'm now really interested in reading it, though I'll have to see if I can find book 1.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like most readers, I'm not a big fan of cliffhangers, but if done right, I could deal, and it sounds like the story is here intense and makes you want to follow along.

    I need to get started on this series!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carrie
    YAY :D


    Elysium
    Bad library :(


    Yvonne
    Yes you do, read book 1!


    Karen
    I know, they are so evil, and espeically this one that is not really a cliffie, but still is a major cliffie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melissa
    I do think you are gonna like it


    Simcha
    You must read book 1, some things you just can't skip



    Missie

    into this fall sense of security. You just want more

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really need to start this series I have heard so many good things about it :)

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  20. So this is one of those series you need to read back to back thanks to the cliffhangers. Thanks for the warning, and I will certainly read it someday.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP