Tuesday 20 September 2011

Review. The Rift Walker - Clay and Susan Griffith

Series: Vampire Empire #2
Genre: Alternate history/steampunk
Pages: 399
Published: September 6, 2011
Publisher: Prometheus books
Source: For review

Princess Adele struggles with a life of marriage and obligation as her Equatorian Empire and their American Republic allies stand on the brink of war against the vampire clans of the north. However, the alliance's horrific strategy for total victory drives Adele to abandon her duty and embark on a desperate quest to keep her nation from staining its hands with genocide. Reunited with her great love, the mysterious adventurer known to the world as the Greyfriar, Adele is pursued by her own people as well as her vengeful husband, senator Clark. With the human alliance in disarrray, Prince Cesare, lord of the British vampire clan, seizes the initiative and strikes at the very heart of Equatoria. As Adele labors to bring order to her world, she learns more about the strange powers she exhibited in the north. Her teacher, Mamoru, leads a secret cabal of geomancers who believe Adele is the one who can touch the vast power of the Earth that surges through ley lines and wells up at the rifts where the lines meet. These energies are the key to defeating the enemy of mankind, and if Princess Adele could ever bring this power under her command, she could be death to vampires. But such a victory will also cost the life of Adele's beloved Greyfriar.

My thoughts:
I could not believe how the last book ended! Adele going back to marry that ass Clark, and greyfriar staying behind  to save humans. I could not wait to get my hands on book 2 because I needed to know what would happen.

And that is where this book starts. Clark is pressuring Adele to marry him at once, she is staling, Prince Cesare is planning revenge back in London and Greyfriar is missing her. What we have is a book that promises lots of action and that it sure delivers. There are assassinations, vampire fights (and new vampires to meet) and Adele finding a power within her that can change the upcoming war.

I like how they have created this world where vampires came out of hiding and took over the northern hemisphere and more (since the heat makes them slow.) They rule and eat the humans who did manage to flee. It's a great world, the creation that is, because life back north is horrible. I also like how they use magic, that it can be found and used by some, at stone circles and other places, and that the vampires do not like these places. And of course the steampunk elements are just awesome.

To the story then, even if I did not like it as much as book 1 (which was freaking awesome), I still liked it a lot. It had the forbidden romance, and this is a romance that can never work. He is a vampire, she is human and a future empress. I just can't see a happy ending and it is breaking my heart.

There is action, plots, politics and so much more. It has a great cast of side characters too, from Senator Clark (whom I do not like), Prince Cesare (gotta love a crazy vampire prince), Adele's teacher Mamoru (another guy I just do not like anymore, you will find out why) and many more.

So if you have not read book 1 yet then do go and buy it because else you will miss a lot of good things. And if you have read book 1 then enjoy this one.

Conclusion:
Vampire steampunk, and a series you just have to try. It's feels fresh and the mix of things makes it something for everything to like.

Rating:
Good

Cover.
Nice


28 comments:

  1. Does this one end at a better point than the first one did?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!

    Warn somebody that spoilers are ahead!

    I haven't read book one yet, but I can't wait to start this series. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vampire steampunk sounds like an interesting genre. The world building in this one sounds great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Blodeuedd, thank you, but steampunk is not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man..Tori loves these books. I need to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris
    It did...can't say more ;)


    Missie
    I guess I should, but I did not say anything that was not in the blurb. And in the end it was not a big spoiler since you understand it from reading book 1


    Naida
    The worldbuilding is just awesome


    Aurian
    :( I am gonna convert you one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always amazed by how many series you keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finished this one today - my review is coming. I am conflicted, I liked the first part better...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay...takes out the wishlist once more and scribbles author's name down plus the title. I'm off clicking the buy button *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if this is a book for me but you certainly have a knack of making them sound like must reads. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good! And I haven't read any steampunk. Need to get started ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol
    Lol, I amaze myself sometimes. And then there are those I never finished but wanted to


    Ana
    I was conflicted to, but went with the happy feelings


    Leontine
    YAY :D Book 1 just rocked!


    Darlene
    Hihi, I try my best. And I am glad I succeed.


    Elysium
    Then you are totally missing out on teh steamp goodness

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked that Adele grew so much in this one as a leader. I also loved that Gareth allowed her to care for him. Hated Clark! Hated Mamoru! I enjoyed this one too! Wonder what the 3rd book will hold for us? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I am conflicted I go for jugular...I mean nasty review...;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought Book 1 was just OK, and I'm not yet convinced that I want to read Book 2

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have yet to read a steam punk but one of these days when I'm all caught up with my reading Im going to have you tell me which series I just HAVE to read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep, another series I really need to check out. :-( Damn, I need to get in gear here! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Y'all are just bound and determined to get me to read Steampunk! I mean I have been avoiding it because I don't need to fall in love with another genre!

    Darn you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Melissa
    Clark arghhh!
    Mamoru grrrrrr! That evil SOB!
    I have no idea at all o_O


    Ana
    Oh no, not the nasty ones! I just stay sweet since I was not too disappointed


    Simcha
    I fear that if you thought that then you wont like this one :/


    Staci
    Lol, I will hold you do that ;)


    Carrie
    Oh yes, and worth trying


    Deanna
    Aye, better take a year off and just read ;)


    Felicia
    yes I am! I love that I tried steampunk and I do want more to discover it

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vamp steampunk sounds like a great combo. Sounds good to me Linda. I will be sure to check this series out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I picked up and read the first book in this series a couple of months ago, half on a whim and half because I saw one glowing review from one blogger... and I was so glad I did because I LOVED it. I've been so looking forward to The Rift Walker--I can't believe I haven't read it yet!!! ACk! Can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jenny
    I hope you do, and book 1 is so awesome


    Christine
    Yay! I know, book 1 was so great! I was blown away and I just wanted more and more

    ReplyDelete
  23. I oddly LOVE the cover. It just catches my eye for some reason. This sounds like an awesome series I should read. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ga... I have the first book. Right here. Right beside, at my fingertips. I do want to pick it up and read it. But I have several review books I need to read first. *sigh* thank you for the tormenting review of the second book, seeing as I NEED and WANT to pick up the first book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. If the vampires don't like heat because it makes them slow - then I'm moving to Mexico, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carole
    Dunno what's going on there, but I do like it none the less :) It looks romantic


    Melissa
    Mouwhahahaha! Lol,so book 1 is that close...ok I will not tempt you. I get that ither books have to be read first. But then you must read it

    Steph
    Good plan!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been really interested in this series, I just haven't picked it up yet. Now you are tempting me with book 2… you're killing my book budget. :)

    thanks for the review, I'm definitely moving this series up my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP