Tuesday 13 September 2011

Review: The Wedding Affair - Leigh Michaels

 Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 384
Published: September 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: for review

The Duke of Somervale's sister's wedding brings together three couples who must sort themselves out to avoid scandal. The handsome Duke persuades Lady Reyne to pretend to be his fiancée so he can avoid the matchmakers but falls in love with her anyway. Lady Reyne's friend Kate discovers how much she has in common with adventurer Andrew Carlisle, and Lady Penelope Townsend discovers new love with her estranged husband.

My thoughts:
Again there are three couples that will find love in this regency romance by Leigh Michaels. And I do like that there is more romance to go around.

First we have Olivia who after her husband's death is poor, and living with her daughter in a little cottage. She meets Simon, the Duke of Somervale and the first meeting is not a good one. But then by the look of her he does not think she is a lady either. But he has every young woman in the area after him and he comes up with the perfect plan. These two together, what to make of them really, I do like how they fell without knowing it. I liked Olivia and she did not have the best of marriages. Simon manages to get some fire out of her and Simon then, well he was not looking for something but is still falling. And I just loved how he was around her daughter.

Then we have Kate who is staying with Olivia since she has no where else to go after her father's death. She is being courted by the vicar, poor thing, cos he is, just think of Mr Collins. But she meets Andrew, who she had a crush on when she was younger. 

Last we have what was actually my favorite storyline. At the wedding we meet Lady Penelope who is there with her husband. A crappy marriage it is, her father wanted a title for her and Charles needed money. Now he resents his wife and does not even look at her. It was just so sad because it was not Penny's fault. But she finds her own voice and because of that I loved the story. Because when these two start talking they really start talking. And it was about time.

All these stories take place during a wedding and since they are all at the same time the POVS jump around. It works great too and I was happy to see that more than one couple found love. Because they all truly deserved so.

Conclusion:
A lovely book that had me reading. And even though I liked one story more they were all good and together even better. I do find that I like Michael's voice. And there is nothing like a good wedding affair, romance and passion promised.

Rating:
Nice

Cover:
Nice color.



29 comments:

  1. This one does sound nice. I like the cover too. It sounds like the first relationship is between an older couple.

    Thanks for the review.

    ~ Monique @ AsianCocoa's Secret Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've been in the mood for a good romance. Hm... I think I will check out this one. I'm also glad that the POV jumping works in this book. I enjoy when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, you made me understand why I've never attended a wedding in my life...thank ya, thank ya! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they really need to put the women on the cover?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take notice when you say you like the author's voice. That's a good recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda
    It's pretty :)


    AsianC
    Well older and older, she is 23 and he is not yet 30, but yes older :) The married couple is not that old either I think


    Melissa
    Sometimes it just do not work, but here it works since it all have to do with everything


    Ana
    LOL! Actually weddings are pretty boring


    Ryan
    I like it :) As long as there is a couple and not just a woman, give me a man any day then

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary
    It's very..what should I say, pleasant :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This kinda makes me happy that I've never been in a wedding :D But the book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find when there are multiple characters in a ook there is always one I connect with more as well.

    Sounds like a good book though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such things never happened at the weddings I attend ;) Would make a fantabulous RL romance story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that one of the heroines is a mother; we need our romance too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do enjoy this genre very much. Sounds like a nice romance and some interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a lively read. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ryan's comment cracked me up and made me go look at the cover again!!! Sounds like a good romance when I'm in the mood!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm glad you liked this one! her last one with three storylines was too much for me, but i can see how others would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds nice. Usually you have your main romantic couple but The Wedding Affair has three. Makes me think that readers will fall in love with one couple no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  17. While, as always, it's not really my genre, I'm kind of sold on this one. It sounds good and fluid - like it reads well, which is key for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm definitely curious about how the author fits 3 complete storylines in the book. It's not a long one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! Sounded like a fun read, but I don't think my little brain would like me to read this, because I don't like too much jumping around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do love your Regency novels, hun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm nice review Blodeuedd. I think the first love story is the most to my liking. But I am very curious to find out how I will like multiple stories in one book.

    I have read books that have taken place in the same timeframe, three brothers falling in love, or such a thing. But not everything crammed into one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds wonderful. While I enjoy books that focus on one relationship I also like the challenge of books focusing on more than one. I love when POV's change in a book too because it's fun to see how different people are viewing the same situation. :-) I might have to check this one out, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Elysium
    Weddings can sure be messy it seems ;) Well at least if your brother is a duke


    Amused
    True, sure I liked them all, but I just had to like that one couple more


    Leontine
    LOL. I sure did not have this much fun at my last wedding I attended either


    Steph
    I agree, it was nice :) Mothers need love too



    Naida
    It was :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Melissa
    Hihi, you can say that


    Chris
    Not yet, in 1,5 hours though


    Staci
    Oh men :)
    I do like that we get their opinion too


    Carrie
    Too much going on perhaps? I can understand that



    Jenny
    I think you are right about that. If you do not like one couple there are two more to fall for. Awesome



    Melissa Swim
    It did!
    I think someone needs more romance, lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Alexis
    You just have to read it and find out ;)


    Carole
    It was not that bad, since the story many times picked up where someone else left it. Like that person left the room the other heroine still was in


    Vivienne
    Guilty as charged


    Aurian
    it worked well, since it all happened at once and I find myself liking it.


    Deanna
    Here we truly got to see different POVS from the same happening sometimes. And that was fun since they were all so different

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like an enjoyable book, though the woman's face on the cover looks kind of strange to me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simcha
    Hm, I have to take a closer look ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP