Friday 9 September 2011

Review: Treasure Me - Christine Nolfi

Genre: Contemporary romance /mystery
Pages: 415 (ebook)
Published: April 2011
Source: For review
Review by Lis


Birdie Kaminsky has arrived in Liberty, Ohio to steal a treasure hidden since the Civil War. She’s in possession of a charming clue passed down in her family for generations: Liberty safeguards the cherished heart. The beautiful thief wants to go straight. She secretly admires the clue’s author, freedwoman Justice Postell, who rose above the horrors of slavery to build a new life in Ohio. According to family lore, Justice left South Carolina at the dawn of the Civil War. Heavy with child, she carried untold riches on her journey north. As Birdie searches for the treasure, she begins to believe a questionable part of the story: a tale of love between Justice and Lucas Postell, the French plantation owner who was Birdie’s ancestor.
If the stories are true, Justice bore a child with Lucas. Some of those black relatives might still live in town. Birdie can’t help but wonder if she’s found one—Liberty’s feisty matriarch, Theodora Hendricks, who packs a pistol and heartwarming stories about Justice. Birdie doesn’t know that an investigative reporter who has arrived in town will trip her up—as will her conscience when she begins to wonder if it’s possible to start a new life with stolen riches. Yet with each new clue she unearths, Birdie begins to discover a family history more precious than gems, a tradition of love richer than she could imagine.

,..........................

Alright, when I first got this book, I made two observations: 
1. This book has the worst cover I’ve seen in a while for a romance book
2. Damn, this story sure is long (fortunately that wasn’t a bad thing)

The title for this story has a double meaning. It’s not only about our main character seeking a long lost treasure, it’s also about seeking love and acceptance. But let’s start at the beginning. 

Treasure me is the story of Birdie Kaminsky – a petty, small time thief – who’s come to Liberty, Ohio to liberate a treasure dating back to the Civil War. Only this is not like her usual cases. For one, she’s linked to the treasure by way of ancestry and this is supposed to be her last case, ‘cause Birdie is quitting. Oh and she gets more than she’s bargained for when she meets reporter Hugh!

Overall Treasure Me is a sweet story with bits of far-fetched fiction in it. It settles around the theme of a hidden treasure that was given by a plantation owner to a slave he loved at the time of the Civil War While romantic and sweet, I found it a bit over the top. I liked Birdie and Hugh’s story a lot better. They are both interesting characters with a story to tell. 

Hugh is a reporter who sniffed out a story in Liberty and he’s a perfect match for Birdie in every way. Only where she’s a well-developed and round character, Hugh gets the raw end of the deal. His characterization left a lot to be desired for. It was almost as if the author assumed we already knew Hugh. 

Birdie is a nice character who had a troubled youth. At the beginning of the book it’s hard to sympathize with her because she’s picking pockets, plus it takes a while for the story to pick up. Though you get her story it’s nevertheless not easy to like her – it’s hard for me to understand that she thinks there’s no other way – but the author makes it work. Especially with the help of the support cast!

Boy did I ever like Theodora. She doesn’t let anything or anyone get the drop on her. She is one fierce woman. In a way she’s the opposite of Birdy. 

I liked how the family histories mingle throughout the story as well. 

All in all it’s not an easy read, as it is long, but in the end it’s worth it! It has mystery, romance, treasure hunts, what more do you want? 




--------------
Note from Blodeuedd:

Flash fiction to come later,  I have not written it yet  EDIT HERE


22 comments:

  1. hahah I loved this comment "1. This book has the worst cover I’ve seen in a while for a romance book" I was thinking the same thing. I'm a cover snob....I will admit.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not liking that cover at all, and probably wouldn't not have even considered reading this book because of the cover. I'm so shallow! But far-fetched fiction can be fun.

    Thanks for the review, Lis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that cover's bad, but it other than that it sounds good. And it's set in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book that needs a new face. The authoress should do a contest for the recover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmm. I may have to pass on this. IDK, it just doesn't call out to me. The cover is horrid, I must agree. Great review, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have guessed it was a romance from the cover. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about the cover, but the story sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw the cover I thought it was nonfiction! Teaches me not to judge a book by its cover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have to agree - the cover is awful! Not sure the romance with teh search appeals to me but I'm glad the read was worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want your flash fiction, I want it all and I want it NOW!!!

    Lis, a very nice review. I agree that the cover is highly unusual for a romance book (I almost hear romance readers asking frantically: "where is my naked torso?? Where is the heroine's ample bossom?").

    The book does remind me "National Treasure" a bit. I am not sure I would like to read it. Perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hm... I don't know. Honestly it sounds a little too saccharine sweet for me. But, I do like the idea of an adventure and mystery with it. I might check it out. It really might be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a fan of the cover either. By looking at it, I would never think its a romance novel.
    At least it was a worthwhile read.
    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ana
    I know I know, bad me for being late ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one hideous cover! I have to say though....it sounds really decent! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The story sounds so intriguing yet I have to wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the cover. It needs a makeover, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have never guessed that this was a romance since the cover looks more like a cover of a school text book to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't remember it being that long. I had to go look at my copy. My copy was a 286 on Ereader. What is up with that? I read it on EPUB that must be it. It is interesting how the different versions convert I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  18. MRS Q
    I am too ;)


    Missie
    I do fear many of us are, me included


    Carol
    Good for you then :)

    Juju
    I guess we all should learn to look past it, but so hard


    Carol :)


    Chris
    One never knows

    DC
    I am glad you think so

    Amused
    :)

    Mel
    :)


    Melissa
    Lol, too sweet? I do like too sweet sometimes, even it too much makes me sick...talking about candy here

    Naida
    :)

    Melissa


    Steph
    Yikes, the poor cover sure is getting dissed


    Alexis
    I have noticed that some of my epubs are shorter then they should be

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think the cover does it justice either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice review, but not a book for my this time Lis.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP