Monday 17 October 2011

Review: Seducing the Duchess - Ashley March


Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 320
Published: 2010
Publisher: Signet
Source: Gift from the author

Love and marriage don't have to be strangers...


Gambling. Carousing. Flirting. Charlotte, Duchess of Rutherford, will do anything to escape her painful marriage and force her husband to divorce her. But when Phillip, Duke of Rutherford, promises a divorce if Charlotte will help him become a better husband for another woman, she wonders if she really wants to lose him...

My Thoughts:
I liked this one because it was different from the usual HR books that I read. And that first chapter where she is kidnapped by her husband was just great. But their love story is a messy one, and a sad one.

Why is then their story such a mess? Well Phillip whispered words of love and got her to marry him. Everything was perfect, their wedding night was perfect, until next morning when he told her he had only used her for revenge and he packed up and left her to go to his mistress. Poor Charlotte was left with a broken heart and during the years that followed she has tried everything to get the cold Duke to divorce her.

What saves Phillip for me is how he is presented from now on. We meet a man who knows what he did was wrong, he knows that he ruined her life, and during these horrible years he has started to fall for her. They used to be friends when they were smaller, and that is what he remembers. If we would have met the coldhearted bastard that took her innocence and spit upon it, then yes I would not have forgiven him. Because I am not usually a forgiving reader, but sometimes it does happen.

Charlotte is the talk of London, she is rumored to have bed half the ton (and more), and she is quite the scandal. She just wants out, she is hurting and her family is not talking to her since she married him. Since I knew how much it must have hurt I did approve of her petty remarks, because she is changing too. That is what this whole book is about. Does she dare to trust him again? Because she does love him, and hate him.

Phillip tries to win her back, and he has a long way to go. And there will be misunderstandings, but come one, this is a HR, you know it will end with happy tears instead of sad ones. I am just saying that the road there is long. And sometimes you do forgive and forget.

Conclusion:
After having finished this book I did want to read more of her books. The writing was good and I liked the story of these two broken souls.

Rating:
Good

Cover:
Good


31 comments:

  1. Sounds like good romance, Philip seems like a jerk but then again, love is never perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I look forward to reading this one. I'm glad that they do work it out and change as the story goes along; nothing annoys me more than a h/hr that can just blindly move past the things that happened in their past and suddenly be happily in love by the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I would forgive Philip but it does sound...er...nice. Fluffy but nice. A scorned woman is always an interesting topic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo sounds like a good one! I haven't read this author yet, but she is on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like such a jerk, but then sometimes those are the nicest stories to read, when they really do realize what they're doing and fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting. And now I'm curious to know if I'd be as forgiving for Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? Oh no. I would not have been able to forgive Philip! And why does Charlotte have to get the bad rap when he was the jerk! Grrrr.

    Men! But I do have to admit, this one sounds very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naida
    He was a jerk, a total asshole, but he wanted his revenge


    Book Q
    No, they sure had their issues, but what made her trust was surely that she had loved and still loved


    Ana
    I am not sure I could either ;) But March sure started from the right moment in time and I had to like him


    Aurian
    I really want her new book now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol
    True, and people always say that everyone deserve a second chance and he really works for it


    Elysium
    You would just have to read it and see ;)


    Missie
    A man can have a hundred mistresses, a woman one and she gets a bad rep, tsk, yes those were the times

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun historical romance. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh two broken souls. Oh I love stories like that as well. You should make Anachronist read it since she said fluffy. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds really different from the usual. I'll look for it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like an interesting romance. I have a hard time forgiving and forgetting when a guy does something wrong to a woman. He did her dirty by leading her on so much and then making her life miserable but I might need to give it a try since you seemed to learn how to forgive him and enjoy the book. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am getting ready to go on a historical romance kick, and I find myself really wanting to read this one. Like you said, it just sounds different then the normal HRs I read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. I wonder if I could get past Philip's actions. I get pretty stubborn about those things but you have me interested to see how it could possibly work out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a terrible man! That is horrid. I couldn't take him back after that. Oh, Great review. Now I'm curious about this book. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent review! Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure there's anything Phillip can do that would make me forgive him. What a cold-hearted jerk! I'll try to calm down now since he is only a fictional character. But still!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for a great review and that is a beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The story appeals to me since I always like to give characters a second to redeem themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Melissa - are you challenging me? Yeah, I said fluffy and yeah, I might read it if I find it but only if you agree to feature my review. Stand up and fight!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The title suggests lots of sex, but you didn't mention that, so I am thinking this one won't make me blush!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amused
    It was good! I will tell you that


    Melissa Books
    Hihi, be careful, she might bite your head off when you say things like that


    Mary
    It was just great


    Deanna
    It was how he was potrayed at once. As a man who knew he had been an ass, and yes he could have been worse too. Beaten her, been mean, nope he just left her, still and ass, but at least not an evil ass.


    Bucky
    It certainly was and that made me like it more I think. Cos else it is the same old same old.


    Karen
    It does seem like the thing I could not get past, but I did :) And trust me, I do not forgive and forget easily.


    Staci
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Melissa World
    I guess you should just read it and see why I liked him ;)


    Yvonne
    It was :D


    Steph
    Ok calm, calm, yes he is an ASS. But you should forgive, cos everyone is at least entitled to doing one stupid thing. And if she could forgive then I can too

    Mystica
    It sure is pretty


    jenny
    I like that too :D


    Ana
    *giggles*


    Vivienne
    fear not. Yes it says seduction, but he can't really seduce a woman who hates his guts. First he must make her like him, so you can survive one scene that you find there

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a good romance. Glad it was a good read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You can always count on HRs having a nice good ending. =) These seems like a pretty good book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like my HR to have an element that sets them apart from the rest. This sounds like one that'd fit my criteria lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. Darlene
    It sure was :)


    Carole
    Aye, else it will not be a happy moment for me


    Teddy
    I like that too, and it is those that make me fall more

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ok I'm definitely going to have to check this author out. This sounds like a storyline that I can definitely get into.

    Nice review lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Ing :D
    And I do recommend her books

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP