Wednesday 5 October 2011

Review: Burning Up - anthology

Authors: Meljean Brook, Nalini Singh, Angela Knight, Virginia Kantra
Psy 8,5, Iron Seas 0,5, Children of the sea 3,5,
Genre: Parnormal romance /steampunk/ fantasy romance /HR pnr
Pages: 342
Published: 2010
Publisher: Berkley
Source: Won


New in Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series is Whisper of Sin, in which a woman in lethal danger finds an unlikely protector- and lover- in a volatile member of the DarkRiver pack. 

This is Emmett and Ria's story and I must say that I do like when changelings and human fall in love. Never been much of a Psy fan. Anyway Ria is in danger from bad guys, Emmett protects her, they fall in love. It's all very short, hot and sweet. I was happy with thsi story. 


In Angela Knights's Blood and Roses, a vampire warrior and his seductive captor join forces to stop a traitor from unleashing an army of demonic predators on their kingdom. 

I did like the world, I did like the story but still some things were not to my liking. Our heroine does something and the next second she and the hero is in love. That was one big case of insta-love, and yes this is a short story so it have to be like that. But I guess because of how it started I just could not believe in it. 


Virginia Kantra continues the haunting tales of the Children of the Sea in Shifting Sea, the story of a wounded soldier rescued by a strange and enigmatic young woman. 

Jack meet Morwenna and they have wild passionate sex. I want to read more about this world and the immortals of the sea. They sound fascinating even if there is nothing hot about dolphin, whale and all the rest shifters. 


Meljean Brook launches a bold new steampunk series with Here There Be Monsters, as a desperate woman strikes provocative- and terrifying- bargain to gain overseas passage. 

Ivy wants to get out of London and meets Mad Machen. The bad bad pirate. Arghhh matey. Sorry. It was a good story about these two finding each other, hating each other, and learning about each other. It was not as good as later stories though, but still good. 


So all in all I think this was a good anthology. Fans of Singh will want her story, the same for fans of the Iron Seas series. And I shall bump up up my Sea shifter story in my tbr pile.


28 comments:

  1. I saw wild passionate sex and closed my eyes! Eeep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh....I haven't heard of these authors before, but the cover is cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sweetie!

    I've heard that the 'suddenly in love' is a big problem for short story readers, but when an author is limited in pages to tell her story she's forced to move things faster than even she'd like...it's one of the reasons I don't write short stories.

    Hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a fan of Singh but do change my latest review, published just some minutes ago. Yes, I have sinned today and the day is not over yet...*snickering* All because of Melissa (BaT) AND her sinful invitation I simply couldn't accept (too much on my platter)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one (of course, it contains a Singh story!) But have I read the rest? mmm going to check...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a longtime Psy-Changeling series fan so might this one up for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really liked there be monsters!! i didn't read the other stories though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to get over my "anthologies don't have enough story" thing. I think I am missing out on some good stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like you have to have read the series in order to enjoy the short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vivienne
    Lol, do not look then! Not even a peak


    Nina
    Not even Singh? I have reviewed her ;)


    hawk
    I know, you can't tell a good lovestory in such a short pace, but some does it very well still :) But must be hard


    Ana
    Melissa is just evil! Evil I say.
    *secretly congratulates Melissa for bringing poor Ana to the dark side*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aurian
    You have not read the rest? Bad you ;)


    Cherry
    Yes a psy-changeling fan must not miss this one :D


    Carrie
    Yay for Brook, she is so good!


    Felicia
    Well...what can I say, some are bad, some are good, but so are books


    Staci
    The Psy not so much, the Kantra, no, Brook...hm, yes perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was Stephanie not Staci, ooops

    ReplyDelete
  13. So far behind on the Psy-Changeling books...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah... well, insta love often happens in short stories due to word count. Still good authors. I need this one. :)

    PS... I know I'm not the only one to shift Anachronist toward that dark side... *looks at Blodeuedd* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't read slot of paranormal, especially adult paranormal. I think I want to explore the genre a bit more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will have to pass this along to a friend that love reading about sex of any kind!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like an interesting collection. I have heard of Angela Knight and Nalini Singh before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It reminds me that I have a couple anthologies I have to read. But I always put them off since a lot of the stories have characters from the authors other series and I haven't started those series yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always been a bigger fan of Nalini's changeling characters than her Psy characters (with the huge exception of the Lauren family, I adore them). I really enjoyed Meljean's story too, the Iron Duke was a favorite of mine last year - can't wait for the next book! Yay pirates:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chris
    I am not :D Well ok I did sip those two books...


    Melissa
    What! I? No, I did not do it..well ok I did tempt her a lot, but alas she never seemed to listen, lol.


    Mrs Q
    Yes you really should, I like the funny, light ones. The rest, well ok, but I want more


    Staci
    I wrote this 2 months ago, must check back what i wrore about sex ;)


    Naida
    I had not tried Knight before so that was fun for me, oh and Kantra


    Jenny
    I know, that sucks, I just feel so left out sometimes. But these are beginning stories mostly

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like to many parts of other series for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lol. I'm kind of with Viv on this one. I don't mind the sex, I just don't want the story overwhelmed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carol
    It can be overwhelming

    Darlene
    Well i would not say it was that hot

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Nalini Singh but not a big psy fan, either more of an Arch Angel fan! Love those fallen angels!

    Sounds like a great book! Sometimes I like to read short stories, just finished Enthralled and really liked it :o]

    Fab review, my Chica!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmmm, another anthology! :) And Meljean again. I think I need to read more of her books. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kristi
    I told the librarian where I am today that they should buy the Angels series! So fingers crossed :D


    Melissa
    She is everywhere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ugh I'm not into the insta-love. It usually ends up just being lust. *sighs* Great review and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP