Monday 10 October 2011

Review: The Goblin King - Shona Husk

Series: Shadowlands #1
Genre: Paranormal romance
Pages: 352
Published: October 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source. For review

Cursed by a Druid millennia ago, Roan lives a bleak existence in the Shadowlands, desperately trying to retain his soul and not succumb to the goblin horde. When a beautiful human summons him to grant a wish, he sees a glimmer of hope. But will she ever agree to be his queen?


My thoughts:
Ok so the guy on the cover might not look much like our hero, he has got dreads and when he is a goblin he is all icky, but then this can be how he looks at the end :) 

Anyway, to the story! Roan lives in the shadowlands, a horrible place of nightmares. He is cursed and has been for 2000 years. He used to be a good king, but now he is a man whose greed might make him into the goblins he hate. He is loosing little by little to the curse. But there is something there, and sure at times in the beginning I thought he was a bit too alpha idiot, but I still could not look away. 

Eliza, the deal that annoyed me there for a moment was how fast she fell, but come on, this is a romance after all. So I went along with that, cos in the end, Roan is a hottie, he is alpha, and he is a mighty warrior. Eliza has grown weak and scared. She is being bullied by her idiotic fiance and even though she has everything her lives sucks. She just wants out. And when these two meet, a woman who needs something more, and a man who needs help fighting his demons, well you can guess what happens. Flames of passion and lots of drama. 

Because life is not easy. She has her ass of a fiance. He has not much time left to live with his fading human soul. The goblin is taking over. They are doomed from the start, but they still can't stay away from each other. 

It was the goblins, the curse and the world that did it for me. It was good, and I also really liked his brother Dai. When the book ended I kind of wanted a book with him too, must be because he was a nerd. I do like nerds, and since this is book 1 then fingers crossed that Dai is getting that book.

Conclusion:
All in all a good book that had me reading fast, I enjoyed the romance and the passion they shared. It was a fairytale happy ever after with goblins, fights and the will to love. 

Rating:
Good

Cover:
Hottie!


31 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I think I'd like Roan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry can't read the review, too busy drooling over the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hottie. I would pick this one up just to drool on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I agree, life is not easy when your fiance is an ass.

    LOL! Woman, you always make me laugh.

    Love the cover for this one, even if its not really an accurate picture of the hero, it's still Hawt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do the cursed goblin men always have better abs than me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very funny review but a romance is a no-no unless it is written by Courtney Milan ;))))).

    An ass fiance is how the reality usually is...been there, didn't want a tee-shirt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, finally a positive review about the book with the gorgeous cover! Thanks B!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like it ended up being good, sometimes it bugs me when covers don't look like the characters even a little. I like it when the cover artist has added small details like a necklace, whatever to let you know it really is the character inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naida
    He was...hot ;)

    Vivienne
    I know *droooools*


    Linda
    Lol, he is one of the better ones


    Missie
    Hehe, nope not easy at all then. And I am glad that I make you laugh.

    I could be a pic of the end, yes let's call it that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie
    Lol! Well he had lots of time to work on those perfect abs ;)


    Ana
    Oh you and your Milan, haha, I never thought I would say that!
    Sorry to hear that, but asses should sure be behind you,
    Haha, I crack myself up


    Aurian
    I was worried cos I had seen a few reviews but it was just fun :)


    Carrie
    The dreadlocks was perhaps a bit too much, but he cuts his hair at the end of the book so let's say this is from there

    ReplyDelete
  11. If that's how the hero looks at the end, I'm all for it:) I really like the sound of this one, I can't say I've read many books that deal with goblins so I'm excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny
    Si far everyone does seem to like him, and yes he sure looks great...a bit of Dean in Spn over him..or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a first one? Why did I think it was later in a series? *scratches head*

    I don't think they would sell too many PNRs if the hero was slimy... well, except me... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a fun book for Oct!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want Dai's story too! I can't resist a sexy book nerd. ;)

    I think the cover model should have at least had dreads!! (Maybe use THIS GUY?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not so big on goblin stories but I might read more of them if they had covers like this one...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to read that you enjoyed it. I don't think i've ever read a paranormal romance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm, interesting take with goblins. :) I like the sounds of it, but.... I don't know. :) Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good and I loved the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's nothing like a good, fast-paced read! Fab review, as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So nerdy goblins is your type, huh? I was about to say that the man on the cover looks nothing like what I pictured a goblin to look like, king or no.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmmm, yes he is definitely drool worthy! Glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've seen reviews for this book circulating around blog land. I still haven't been convienced to check it out yet. Hmmm...you're review is great and I'm glad you enjoyed it and flew through it quickly. Maybe I need to reconsider this one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. woot woot. Sounds like a book I'll be reading someday! It wasn't just the cover, but the story line sounds good (but....the hottie was a big decision maker on my part). I love the nerdy characters too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melissa Books
    I can't help you there, maybe you are thinking of another book.
    Lol, yes I think I have to agree with you there.


    Amused
    It was :D


    Diana
    I know, sexy nerds rock!
    Ok, yes I like that suggestion :)


    Simcha
    Goblins are not excatly sexy now are they, poor creepy bastards.


    Mrs Q
    never? Ever? I do hope you read one one day


    Melissa
    Perhaps not for everyone, but still a nice book to unwind with.

    Yvonne
    I know right

    ReplyDelete
  26. Melissa Swim
    Thank you!


    Steph
    Lol, well that is in human form ;) As he is not entirely goblin yet


    Darlene
    Lol, I think we all agree on taht


    Deanna
    It was a good one for me, I like the fast ones, a bit of action, a bit of romance, tadaaa


    Carole
    The cover is mmmm. And yes nerds are teh best so I promise you a good side character

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just dent sound like my thing but I like the hottie in the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been curious about this one but haven't really looked into that much. Your review made me laugh and I think I'll give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Staci
    Lol, who doesn't ;)


    Jennifer
    Yay, lol, I do like when reviews make others laugh

    ReplyDelete
  30. Agree with you about Dai-I liked him the most..and I totally didn't picture Roan like he was on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bucky
    I sure hope it is Dai's bok that is up next *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP