Thursday 15 December 2011

Review: Cry Wolf - Patricia Briggs

Series: Alpha & Omega #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 294
Published: 2008
Publisher: Ace
Source: Bought

Anna never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack... and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. Then Charles Cornick, the enforcer- and son- of the leader of the North American werewolves, came into her life. 

Charles insists that not only is Anna his mate, but she is also a rare and valued Omega wolf. And it is Anna's inner strength and calming presence that will prove invaluable as she and Charles go on the hunt in search of a rogue werewolf- a creature bound in magic so dark that it could threaten all of the pack.

My thoughts:
I am giving it a 4, but is is not a full 4. Mostly because I did not love it as much as the Mercy books, but I still really enjoyed it. 

The funny thing was that it was not Charles and Anna I liked the most. Sure they were ok, poor Anna all scarred from her horrible time in an evil pack, and Charles being a good little assassin. Together they tried to find a way to be together since she had lots to work through. But here it comes, when Bran showed up now and then I forgot all about these two. I was totally crushing on the Marrok in this book. And I demand he gets a series of his own and a good woman so that he is happy and so that she is happy, cos like it is now it is just sad. 

So what have we learnt then, I love Bran, oh right about the book. Well it was a nice little mystery about who is going around killing in the mountains. I liked Asil, the old wolf who longs for death and there was a nice backstory. 

And yes do read the short story before reading this one. 

Conclusion:
I will continue this series of course, Briggs rocks and Bran, now look there I go again, major crush alert.


Cover: 
Nice

30 comments:

  1. This is my series to read in 2012 :) I have the first two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did you like that Bran guy or what? Now I'm more interested in Bran than the rest of the group. Funny that you were way more taken with the secondary characters. And hopefully Marrok will get his own book. I'd better get to the short story so I can then get to Bran!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one a few years ago after reading the short story. I don't remember it too well but I do remember enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read her Mercy series which I own before I try any of her others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book. =D I love me some werewolves. hahaha. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your demands are heard! Marrok needs his own book or at least a novella! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, that short story rocked!!! I have this one but haven't read it. I also need to catch up on my Mercy books! GAH! I feel so behind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love this series too. Unlike the Mercy series, this one is written in third person, which also changes the feel of the books a lot. Still, each book is better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and yes, more Bran in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of these days I'll get around trying this author. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Felicia
    Ohhh, nice :) I hope to get back 2 soon.


    Alyssa
    LOL. Oh you tell me.
    I love love Bran *happy sigh* Bran Bran Bran


    Linda
    And I all I can remember now is Bran ;)


    Darlene
    Yes do read the Mercy books cos they are great

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carole
    Werewolves are the best :) So much better than those pale vamps.


    Missie
    Yes yes yes...but considering his situation it looks bad.


    Melissa
    I am all caught up on those and I want a new one! Stat.


    Aurian
    I did not think of that, but you are right, it did bring another feel to it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I don't like this offshoot as much, either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris
    Not as much, but still, good

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good little assassin? Are you kidding or teasing? I have still Mercy before me so maybe later...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been enjoying this series though it really annoys me that the story starts off in an unrelated anthology (On the Prowl) and if you don't read the short story there first you really miss out. That's where Anna and Charles first meet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally understand your Bran crush! I read this book and while I agree it's not quite to the level of Mercy, Briggs writing does win through. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you read Alpha & Omega - the novella that sets up this series? I liked it more than I liked this book. Not a bad series overall but like you I'm not really that attached to Charles & Anna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, Love the cover and the story does sound good...sounds like an interesting series.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am putting Briggs on my must read list for 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another author I've heard so much about but haven't read. I really need to add her to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here's to hoping that Bran will get his own story :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ana
    Lol, I am not kidding and I am not teasing. He deals with problems.


    Simcha
    I know, I do not like that at all! And how many knows that when they start? It is really easy to miss.


    Mel
    Not on the level, but still good enough and Bran makes the book ;)


    Karen
    I have read it, but I do think I prefer the book to the novel.


    Hawk
    De Santos is a a true master, he makes such beautiful covers.


    Staci
    yes do must! :D

    yvonne
    And you too must read Briggs :)


    jenny
    *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is an author I've never read but want to. I have heard good things. lol...maybe Bran will get his own book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love the mercy briggs series so i tried to read this one too, but the beginning was just way too sad for me, so i didn't make it far.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Naida
    Now that would be great but...but there is something...


    Carrie
    The beginning here? How come?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've had this book on my shelves for awhile now. I keep meaning to read it but then I grab something else instead. Soon...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Samantha
    I know that feeling ;) I hope you grab it soon and enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  29. I borrowed this book from the library instead of buying it because I thought I wouldn't like it that much after having read the novella which preceded this book titled Alpha And Omega (published in the On The Prowl anthology)... it was too dark... didn't like that... but I did like this book, just not as much as I did the Mercy Thompson series... And I agree with you that this book is a 4 out of 5 -ish...

    ReplyDelete
  30. CHerry
    Not Mercy standard but still good :)
    And yes I was not sure about this one either after having read the novella. That is why it took me a while to get to it

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP