Wednesday 7 December 2011

Review: Theft of Swords - Michael J.Sullivan

Series: The Riyria Revelations #1 (1 and 2)
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 704
Published: Nov 2011 
Publisher: Orbit
Source: Shelf

Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles—until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom. 

Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires in order to keep a secret too terrible for the world to know? And so begins the first tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend. 

My thoughts:
I think I would like to start with a damn, damn that I do not have book 2 ready. It was not like it ended with a cliffie, now, it was just that I need to freaking know!It is just the kind of fantasy I like. Quests, kingdoms, baddies and a great cast.

Our “heroes” are Royce, a thief and Hadrian, a mercenary. Together they form the band Riyria, and steal their way through life. The chemistry between these two is just great; you can feel that they have been friends for a very long time. They are also so funny together, one wanting one thing, the other one another thing, but they are friends and the trust each other (even if the other one has a stupid plan for instance.) That is truly what is good about this book Royce and Hadrian.

And once more, I just do not feel I can do it justice. It started off ok, then it got better, then it got even better, and I was hooked, and even though I was nowhere near the end I lamented the fact that I did not have book 2 ready (getting it for xmas). The books grabs hold of you and won’t let go. And you do not want it to let go either.

I could say a lot of things, of the banter between them, of the two quests they had, of Myron the monk they met, but I will just say that it had a solid plot. It was originally a 6 book series, and now it is a 3 book series. So this book is about 2 things, but they are connected since everything will lead up to one thing in the end. The world is looking for someone, and then we have an evil church too (they always make good baddies.)

Conclusion:
So yes just read it. I am SO glad Melissa got me to read this book because it was well worth it. My review may not amount to much since my mind is all “want book2!”. But in the end that is all you need to know, it made me want book 2, and I that book is as good as ordered already. I can’t wait to read more.

Cover:
Now this is my kind of hunk ;)

50 comments:

  1. I really, really love the cover. I'd like to meet him in a dark, medieval forest. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes! YES!!! :D Soooo glad you loved it. And the best part.... the books just keep on the same path, getting better and better! :D Now scream the book from the roof tops. ;D hee hee... now you have to listen to me. 2 for 2! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana
    Hihi, you and me both ;) Fantasy covers are my hunks, i would take him any day over a bare chested romance guy



    Melissa
    *bows down* I admit you are good, first Sprunk and now this. I shall listen...well try, cos I am a rebel that do not know what is good for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I just have to tease you. :) I always get nervous giving suggestions as I never know if others will enjoy books the same as me. So glad they are working out wonderfully so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa
    I know, I almost hate giving recommendations in a way cos I feel so sad when people do not like the book :( But it's not you can know truly what others want.

    But sometimes it works wonderfully :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here, here! And I love when it works out great. :) Just icing on the cake, to share a loved book with others how enjoy it as much. I'm really glad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa
    true :) Nothing makes me happier when someone loves a book that I got them to read. Book love all around :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want book one...but maybe I would prefer all three together? When your recommendation works it is pure magic...what a pity I am a non-magical being. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so suck at waiting, so gonna read books 1 and 2 together :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah! Waiting for book two is so hard when you loved book one so much or when you just want to know what is going to happen. That has happened to me a lot, so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ana
    Hm...well if you do then you do not have to wait long since book 3 is out late January :D YAY!


    Cherry
    I know, and silly me wished for it for xmas! Arghhh, if not then I would have had it already.


    Missie
    It is the worst, but I can be brave, especially since I know I still hve to wait for book 3, arghhh waiting!


    FV
    I do love it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really great Blodeuedd! I could use some new good fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well this sounds like one I have to read now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's quite the chunkster of a book so it's good you enjoyed it so much. Good thing you're getting e second one for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aurian
    With that name you certainly do :D


    Amused
    It was so good, need more, asap

    ReplyDelete
  16. ROFL... I was like... I did? I want to read it, but haven't yet... and then I realized you ment the wonderful Melissa of My World! Yes, she is the awesome person of fantasy. She has me wanting so many books.... AND now YOU are doing it to me in fantasy. *sigh* I will cave.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You just recommended this book and now after reading your thoughts, I am going to look for this book, perhaps tomorrow or later today I'll take a drive to the bookstore :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG the COVER!!!! Love it! And the book sound good too!

    Hugs
    Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've reminded me that I haven't read a traditional fantasy book for ages!! I've heard quite a few positive things about this series so I think I will add it to my wishlist for when my buying ban finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darlene
    fantasy books should be chunksters :D Then they make me even happier. The more the better


    Melissa
    Lol! Yes I should have put the rest there, and not confused the rest of you melissas out there ;)

    Yes yes yes, a person needs to read fantasy, it is good for the...brain ;)


    Amy C
    YAY :D It was very good, kind of old school, and I love old school. I felt right at home. One more yay for fantasy


    Hawk
    I love fantasy covers, total hunks ;)



    Mel
    Ages?!?!?!!? You poor poor woman, you must be starving! I could not surive without proper fantasy, it feeds me

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, a double damn! Is it that good? I like the hunk on the cover too - a very manly man.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great review! You always get me so interested in genres I never knew I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now this is a book I would do ANYTHING to get my hands on. Can't wait to go and buy it today! Won't be surprised if one of them ends up in my first ever BOOK BOYFRIEND post next Wednesday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was one that had an add on Goodreads I think. It made me curious about it. Might have to see if the library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You and I are on the same page about the hunk on the cover!! LOVE IT!! this sounds bad ass...I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love me some fantasy, and that cover is hunky and dreamy! It sounds right up my alley! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed this series! You don't have long to wait for the other two books, at least :-) I really enjoy Royce and Hadrian, too, though I have a *feeling* that I won't enjoy one of their romance stories once I get to the end of the series (so soon)!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Chris
    *waves*


    Steph
    I do like my hunks, lol.
    Yes a double damn indeed


    Yvonne
    I am glad to hear that :)


    Scienctist
    Hihi, I sure hope so, hm, yes I do think I know which one of them I would choose as my book boyfriend. Totally

    I hope you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sarah
    Dunno if I have seen that add, there are so many, but yes to read it.


    Staci
    Totally hunky, fantasy covers are the best. I will take a hunk like this any day over those romance ones.


    Melissa
    Good to hear, and do try it out. It was so good, so, I just felt at home.


    Aarti
    That is a good thing, cos I hate to wait. But I can wait until after xmas cos I still have book 3 to wait for then and can't take it! Lol.

    Hm...ok when you mentioned it....I might have some ideas too

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooooh, that cover guy is yummi! THis book sounds great. Is it the one you chose in my contest?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mari
    It sure is :D So glad I won a get your own book and this one was the best choice

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am loving the cover! Wow sounds like a pretty good book. =D

    BTW, thanks for having my blog be the 'Blog spotlight of the Week'. It makes me feel loved. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love that cover. Sounds great and I like that it's only 3 books, even if they are long. A trilogy seems to be about as long a series as I can stick with lately.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Carole
    You are welcome :D You got such a cute button too. He is just so hot ;)


    Carol
    I feel the same, a trilogy is perfect even if the books are long. I am not a 10 book girl (even if i love it)

    ReplyDelete
  35. ooh this is definitely going to my wishlist! Good sign if you can't wait for 2nd book :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. First off the names Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn are very cool :)
    Secondly, the book does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The cover does attract me to the book. Since I know you will reading book 2 I wonder if the cover for that one would be just as good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Naida
    You are right, the names are very good :D


    Jenny
    I have the UK versions and the split the friends up so there is another hunk coming ;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. You know a book is good when you are thinking where the heck is book 2 and how do I get my hands on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hahaha, he is a hottie. =) A guy I use to work with looked like him. Just shorter and thicker. Hahaha. Too bad he was married. :P

    ReplyDelete
  41. Carole
    Really? But oh too bad :/ Lol

    ReplyDelete
  42. lol My mind is screaming for book 2! So Blodeudd :)
    Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh man your review makes me feel like I'm missing out. Hope you get book 2 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Looks like I should order a copy for myself as well LOL

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP