Thursday 1 December 2011

Review: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish - Grace Burrowes

Series: The Duke's Daughters #1, Windham #4
Genre: Historical romance
Pages: 384
Published: October 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: For review

All she wants is peace and anonymity...
Lady Sophie Windham has maneuvered a few days to herself at the ducal mansion in London before she must join her family for Christmas in Kent. Suddenly trapped by a London snowstorm, she finds herself with an abandoned baby and only the assistance of a kind, handsome stranger standing between her and complete disaster.

But Sophie's holiday is about to heat up...
With his estate in ruins, Vim Charpentier sees little to feel festive about this Christmas. His growing attraction for Sophie Windham is the only thing that warms his spirits-but when Sophie's brothers whisk her away, Vim's most painful holiday memories are reawakened.

It seems Sophie's been keeping secrets, and now it will take much more than a mistletoe kiss to make her deepest wishes come true...

My thoughts:
In this new series from Burrowes it is time for the Windham sisters to find love and we start with Sophie.

This book is different from the 3 about the brothers. This one is slower, not in a bad way, but the other books had their big secret and a bit of drama connected to that. While this one had a more peaceful pace and even if there was passion it was not as big. I will get to the reason of this all soon enough.

Sophie has been out for a long time, but she has yet to marry. She is the sensible daughter who takes in strays cats and limp horses. She is quiet and nice and she is all alone in a big house with a baby that was left behind. In comes our hero who she meets and who helps her. This book is also as much about the baby as it is about these two. Vim stays to help, he a good man, nice, helpful and falling for a woman who he does not know is a Duke's daughter. That is where the tiny drama comes in, mostly because of a misunderstanding. 

I liked how they grew closer together thanks to the baby. They cared for him together and fell in love (and lust). There is where the stillness of this book comes in, for a long time it is just the two of them and baby Kit. Then when it changes the tone of the book changes to a bit, the stillness is not as still, but there is still a calm as forces try to get them together.

Conclusion:
A nice Christmas tale about love and family.

Cover
Ok


27 comments:

  1. I agree this looks very sweet but the cover is just ok. They should have either gone "historical" or "man candy" the mixing of the two--makes it a little hokey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series, but this sounds like a good book. I agree this is an 'ok' cover, but I'm not crazy about most romance book covers. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a cute and sweet story, those are always nice around the holidays:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felicia
    Lol, I agree, I would have preferred just her or just him, or them embracing instead of him hovering in the background

    CE Hart
    I sent the email to the publisher by the way :)
    I am not crazy over most either

    jenny
    I agree, perfect for this month

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like quite a sweet story but not really my thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to the Windham Sisters stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel
    I'll get you to read one one day ;)

    Nise
    I am sure it will be a fun ride

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops, someone forgot the baby?!! O.o

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris
    No it was done by purpose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like a story which would make me commit a murder and roll in the blood of the victim just to shake off all that fluff...and no, it shouldn't be called historical. It should be called a costume drama/comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a sweet holiday book. Hm... maybe it's not for me. I need mayhem at this time of the year! ;)

    Seriously, you have me wanting to read more Grace Burrowes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not big on historical books but this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need some more fun Christmas reads - don't love the cover, but it sounds sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes slower developing stories fit your mood if your having a lazy day. :)

    But I think I like the sound of the ones about the brothers better. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris
    Big time parentign fail, I guess we are supposed to feel sorry for the girl cos she was onyl 16 but still

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ana
    Oh dear friend, you crack me up every time, keep it coming :)
    You are really scared of the fluff and pink, and all things sweet are't you? ;)


    Melissa
    mayhem!? I can't see where that is coming from. I need it sweet and lovely :)

    Yvonne
    They are worth a go


    Melissa
    It is perfect for the holidays. Not really a symmer read when they are stuck indoors cos of snow


    Missie
    They were different indeed. But thsi slow one (not a bad thing)fitted my mood as the day was stormy and grey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christmas and historical all together! Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  18. awwww sounds like a nice calm love story. Yea...I feel like the cover was trying to do to many things at once. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice review, though I don't really run to the shop to read about with a baby in it ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blodeuedd, thanks for a very nice compliment! I do abhor pink and fluffy but I know no fear...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Christmas books and this one sounds like a goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a sweet Christmas story. I don't usually like babies in my romance but it seems pretty integral to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh boy, another historical I think I'd enjoy.
    Especially since Christmas is involved in the plot. Sounds like a nice series.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vivienne
    I know :D Two of my favorite things all in one


    Carole
    I do fear is the lurking guy in the back that has to go


    Aurian
    The baby worked well for me, it brought them together and it made them stay together


    Ana
    Pink and fluff is one of the best things a girl can get, of course I would not have been caught dead in pink during my teen years. I fear I was rather emo.


    Amused
    I am glad to hear that


    Karen
    It does seem to be something most do not want, and I do get it.


    Naida
    So fun to read this one now

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a good book to read now since it take place around Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenny
    It sure is perfect for that, and well yes meant for it too

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP