Monday 30 April 2012

Review: Second Grave on the Left - Darynda Jones


If you hang around with dead people, life can deliver a whole world of trouble. Take it from Charley Davidson, part-time P.I. and full-time Grim Reaper. The deceased find her very sparkly. Demons find her irresistible. And one entity in particular wants to seduce her in every way possible… When Charley and Cookie, her best friend slash receptionist, have to track down a missing woman, the case is not quite as open and shut as they anticipate. Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally.) has left his corporeal body because he’s being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can’t let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they’ll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven…well, let’s just say it wouldn’t be pretty. 

Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Can she keep those she loves out of harm’s way? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel her as she does?

Series: Charley Davidson #2, Genre: Paranormal thriller /urban fantasy romance, Pages: 326, Published: 2011 by St.Martin's Press, Source: Own

My thoughts:
First, honestly, Reyes *wipes away a bit of drool*. He is just hot as hell ;) Is just that sexy cos he is all mysterious and all, or is it cos of his origin? What can I say, he is the ultimate bad boy. 

Right, I was supposed to say something about this book. Well Reyes is missing, his body that is, he still visits Charley in his other form and she wants to find him. The second part of the story is her trying to find a missing woman and that lands her in trouble again. People are gunning for her, but what else is new. She is as kick-ass and smart-mouthed as she was in book 1. 

Romance, eh, not so much, sexual tension? Yes lots of it. Reyes tries to protect her so there aren't really any make-out sessions. More longing in this one. Not that that matter cos it's still awesome. Reyes is a guy that was meant to be lusted after. Not to mention he is freaky too. Darn it, there I went talking about Reyes again. I do try writing a review without mentioned Reyes' name every second but it's pretty hard. I just keep... 

Ok, I had to restrain myself there. Back to business. The book was fun, I like the mix that it is, what it is? Hm, paranormal romance mixed with urban fantasy mixed with thriller and throw in a lot of humour. I really can't put a lable on it. It's amusing, that's what it is. 

Conclusion:
I want book 3! Cos there was a cliffie. Not a OMG I falling of the cliff!!! More a shit, look there, someone is about to fall of that cliff.

Cover:
Cool, but still meh


65 comments:

  1. I have this book - and the first one waiting to be read as you and others have raved about how good it is! I think I will add it to my relaxed reading planned for June - one I get all the review copies out the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea :) I..wait, oh yes I did put book 3 on my wishlust! Yikes, I am a mess lol. I am waiting for the paperback

      Delete
  2. Sounds good! Especially since it has you drooling over Reyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH you need to read the third one stat! I am telling you it is my favorite of the 3 but then you will be like darn it where is four!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Then I must wait cos I hate waiting if book 4 is that needed

      Delete
  4. "Reyes is just hot as hell" made me LOL. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't this series awesome???

    I LOVE it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is fun :D And how on earth will it turn out ok?!

      Delete
  6. yummm. I love me my bad boys...but yeah sounds like a fun book! The main chicka reminds me of Anita Blake. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have not read about her so can't say..she wasn't the annoying one that has sex all the time is she?

      Delete
    2. Not at first but in the last book or two she is a little on the whoreish side. lmao

      Delete
  7. Hot as hell! Ha ha ha! That's a good one. And I totally agree with you. Nice review! I can't wait for you to read book three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ì know I am so witty ;)
      I hope it's a good one!! Cos yes that ending..ohhh

      Delete
  8. Sounds very good! Wondering why I have never heard of this series before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never? Well then I am very glad that I introduced it to you :)

      Delete
  9. Since Reyes sounds so irrestible, I would love to see a book boyfriend post on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, good idea, but who would play him..hm

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a fun and hot book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooo I love sexual tension! I've heard nothing but good things about this series, I can't wait to meet Reyes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will love him too. He is so mmmm, like chocolate melting in your mouth

      Delete
  12. I just went through the first book and I can totally see what you mean about Reyes!! OH MY YUM! I would so fight you for him. ;) Oh Reyes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, back off! He is mine! Then again he can separate from his body so you can take one and I will take the other, lol

      Delete
  13. Sounds good! Love Reyes ... I mean the review. Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, Reyes just gets under your skin ;)

      Delete
  14. I picked up the third book and realized it was part of a series. Can you believe my Library does not have books 1 and 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hate when they do that! I mean, come one library

      Delete
  15. LOL! Please feel free to talk about REYES all you want. I could read about him all day. *swoons* Yes, hot as hell is a perfect way to describe him. *melts*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *melts into the same puddle again* Reyes Reyes Reyes, and his real name, dang that was sexy as hell too ;)

      Delete
  16. I adore this series. I just made bf start book 1. Muahahah- he loves it too. Reyes *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does? Oh my bf would never read it, buuuuu, bad bf, then again, then he would find out about my Reyes addiction

      Delete
  17. I just love Reyes. *dreamy sigh* Book three is just as good. Love this series-so glad that you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reyes is..addictive ;)
      I am waiting for the paperback and then it's mine!

      Delete
  18. I totally agree with you, Reyes is sex with pants! I loved book three, I really hope you like it as much as ı did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm *goes back into that puddle of drool*
      I can't wait to read it then

      Delete
  19. YOur last few sentences just made me laugh out loud!! This series sounds fun and steamy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. But was Reyes in this book? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just sit down and i will tell you about every scene ;)

      Delete
  21. I abso-freakin-lout-ly love this series. Reyes...is hot! I love your comment sex no..sexual tension?? YES!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don’t think you’ve ever written a review this ...appreciative of the male protagonist before. And the dude doesn’t even have a body!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not you too!??! I need to get to this series seeing how much everyone is enjoying. ;) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes me too. I hope you get to it one day

      Delete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, please :D Sounds like a delicious b boy! I recently read the funniest quote from the first book in this series along with your review of the second one I'm officially sold. Nice review, B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you try it :D And of course enjoys it then too

      Delete
  26. Nice review, I need to catch up with this series, and read this one. Or shall I wait for book 3 to arrive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm..nah, you can read it now. Like I said, there is a cliffie but it's not a falling of a cliff cliffie

      Delete
  27. Now I wanna know more about this Reyes guy! Seems my wishlist is about to grow again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That darn wishlist ;) It can't keep still

      Delete
  28. Ok this sounds awesome, I need an exciting, hot urban fantasy series to replace my Cat & Bones obsession LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this would be the series then :) 3 books out,a 4th coming this year (I think)

      Delete
  29. One of my friends love this series so I picked up the first one the other day. I hope to read it soon. I'm glad to see you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I do hope you will enjoy book 1 then!

      Delete
  30. Aack! This is ANOTHER series that I really, really want to read! I just can't keep up but these sound like that are really good reads!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I got book 1 in the TBR shelf... after that cliffie bit... I might wait until I got books 2 and 3 too before reading... ??

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP