Thursday 27 April 2023

Kill the queen by Jennifer Estep


By: Jennifer Estep


Narrated by: Lauren Fortgang


Series: A Crown of Shards Novel, Book 1


Length: 13 hrs and 4 mins


Release date: 10-02-18


Fantasy /own






I had heard meh things and never gave this one a try, but now I thought why not!




The world felt rather simplistic, and sure I saw those twists coming a mile away. But I enjoyed it




Evie is 17th in line for the throne. She lost her parents young. The crown princess is a bitch. And then everyone is slaughtered! Damn, but Evie has a secret and survives.




So she trains as a gladiator. And she proves to be awesome (sure again, it happened fast, but hey I can roll with it.) The love interest, well I never felt it, not even a slow burn it was more...hmmm. More lust or something That is the one thing I could neg about.




I enjoyed it. I have started book 2. Action, magic and conspiracies.




I listened to the audiobook and liked it. I am trying to audiobook site for free thanks to my grocery store (I know, weird, but thanks Lidl!)






In a realm where one’s magical power determines one’s worth, Lady Everleigh’s lack of obvious ability relegates her to the shadows of the royal court of Bellona, a kingdom steeped in gladiator tradition. Seventeenth in line for the throne, Evie is nothing more than a ceremonial fixture, overlooked and mostly forgotten.




But dark forces are at work inside the palace. When her cousin Vasilia, the crown princess, assassinates her mother the queen and takes the throne by force, Evie is also attacked, along with the rest of the royal family. Luckily for Evie, her secret immunity to magic helps her escape the massacre.




Forced into hiding to survive, she falls in with a gladiator troupe. Though they use their talents to entertain and amuse the masses, the gladiators are actually highly trained warriors skilled in the art of war, especially Lucas Sullivan, a powerful magier with secrets of his own. Uncertain of her future—or if she even has one—Evie begins training with the troupe until she can decide her next move.




But as the bloodthirsty Vasilia exerts her power, pushing Bellona to the brink of war, Evie’s fate becomes clear: she must become a fearsome gladiator herself . . . and kill the queen.




14 comments:

  1. i read this years ago and remember liking it too

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days I'll read this author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely on the simplistic side, but oh so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do like fun :D Not every fantasy book has to be 800 pages lol

      Delete
  4. Free audios from the grocery store sounds perfect! Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I put it badly, the grocery store had a deal so I got a free trial from this store that is like nordic audible ( a few fighting it over here to win)

      Delete
  5. I'd like to get to this one someday. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot I have this on kindle. I don't mind simplistic if it's fun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then give it a go. It is nice and simple, and rather violent

      Delete
  7. Sometimes a meh for others is gold for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. And better than meh. It was amusing

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP