Friday 20 November 2015

Midnight Never Come - Marie Brennan

England flourishes under the hand of its Virgin Queen: Elizabeth, Gloriana, last and most powerful of the Tudor monarchs. But a great light casts a great shadow.

In hidden catacombs beneath London, a second Queen holds court: Invidiana, ruler of faerie England, and a dark mirror to the glory above. In the thirty years since Elizabeth ascended her throne, fae and mortal politics have become inextricably entwined, in secret alliances and ruthless betrayals whose existence is suspected only by a few.

Two courtiers, both struggling for royal favor, are about to uncover the secrets that lie behind these two thrones. When the faerie lady Lune is sent to monitor and manipulate Elizabeth’s spymaster, Walsingham, her path crosses that of Michael Deven, a mortal gentleman and agent of Walsingham’s. His discovery of the “hidden player” in English politics will test Lune’s loyalty and Deven’s courage alike. Will she betray her Queen for the sake of a world that is not hers? And can he survive in the alien and Machiavellian world of the fae? For only together will they be able to find the source of Invidiana’s power—find it, and break it...

My thoughts:
There are two courts in London, and two queens rule England. One Mortal, one Fae. I do like the Fae, and I'd loved to read even more about the different Fae and lands. 

Elizabeth and Vididiana They know of each other. To the rest The Fae ares stories. The tricksters, the fair ones.

Do I like Elizabeth? No, she is always so petty. Did I like Vivi? Gods no, she was one mad cow. You can see my point, things are not better in the Court of Onyx.

I need to get to the point. Lady Lune is sent to the mortal court. There she will gather information. At the same time we have Michael, new to the court and trying to get into Walsingham's good graces. And uncover who a hidden player is at court. The will obviously meet at one point, and maybe even like each other, at the end. Hint hint.

We have political intrigues. A spot of romance. The dangers of the fae. The dangers of a mortal court. And it makes so much sense. Of course the Fae were in the background, this works so well.

Conclusion:
I never expected the conclusion to actually arrive in this book, which was good! But it also makes me so curious what will happen in the rest of the series. 

Cover
meh

Paperback, 480 pages
Published November 13th 2015 by Titan Books (first published May 1st 2008)
Onyx Court #1
Historical fantasy fiction
For review

33 comments:

  1. As long as your curious about the next one, hey why not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this one! I'm always up for a book that features the Fae:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not usually a fan of the fae. They piss me off lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like books with the Fey. It is nice to know you enjoyed this one even if it had such unlikeable women in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear that it was a good conclusion

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love Fae, this sounds interesting, a mix of history thrown in? sure why not :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been some time since I read this and don't remember much other than that it was just meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the beginning it felt like that for me too, but it picked up

      Delete
  9. Oh so mysterious and this makes me curious. I can also see me wanting more of the fae. Might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omigosh this is the same author of the Lady Trent books? Damn, I'm so clueless this is the first I've heard of this one. I really should have researched into her older books. Looks like this was first pubbed in 2008 but I'm glad Titan put out a new edition. It sounds fascinating and I so prefer this new cover.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But not as good as the Lady Trent books. Those were awesome. This one was good. But then she was finding her voice here I guess

      Delete
  11. It all sounded so nice until you wrote 'series'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well it is perfectly fine to stop after this book.

      Delete
  12. This sounds like an interesting twist on the usual Tudor stories. Think I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at FAE. I love them and fear them

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha one mad cow ... I think I might like this one

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm... interesting. Reminds me of Harry Potter - with two ministers, one mortal and one magical!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP