Wednesday 15 November 2017

Audio Review: A companion to wolves - Monette and Bear

A Companion to Wolves is the story of a young nobleman, Isolfr, who is chosen to become a wolfcarl -- a warrior who is bonded to a fighting wolf. Isolfr is deeply drawn to the wolves, and though as his father's heir he can refuse the call, he chooses to go. 
The people of this wintry land depend on the wolfcarls to protect them from the threat of trolls and wyverns, though the supernatural creatures have not come in force for many years. Men are growing too confident. The wolfhealls are small, and the lords give them less respect than in former years. But the winter of Isolfr's bonding, the trolls come down from the north in far greater numbers than before, and the holding's complaisance gives way to terror in the dark. 
Isolfr, now bonded to a queen wolf, Viradechtis, must learn where his honor lies, and discover the lengths to which he will to go when it, and love for his wolf, drive him. 

Audio CD, 12 pages
Expected publication: November 14th 2017 by Tantor Audio (first published October 16th 2007)
Iskryne World #1
Fantasy
For review

My thoughts:
This was a really good book, and the narrator put so much emotion into it. But it was also a book that dealt with a strange world where consent...yeah, I will get into that.

Think Vikings with mega wolves. Wolves they communicate telepathically with. They all live together and protect the rest of the land from trolls. And I get where the authors are coming from with their we do as wolves do. Still it makes for hard reading.

The story is about Isolfr, a Jarl's son who becomes a wolfcarl. About his companionship with his wolf Viradechtis and how they explore this to him new world of wolves and men. And lots of troll hunting.

And this is where the spoilers about consent starts. Highlight to see


So, the main character goes through the entire book being afraid of the rapes that will come. He thinks about it and is all She is worth it. I will make this sacrifice for her. But srsly man, you are gonna get raped! And he does have 2 encounters before that to make him more comfortable, but I never get the impression that he ever likes men. Or will...

To the rape then. See, when his wolf is in heat everyone gets on edge, as they always do. All the male wolves wants to sire pups on her  and he feels this. And those bonded with male wolves feels the need to. The need to take him. And so they do. As they always do with those bonded with female wolves.

I was all, damn, I would not bond a female wolf. BUT, I sure would not bond a male then if they go all barbaric. Still, not all do. One is nice, then it gets brutal and he is in bed for days after it. Wtf is wrong with this world. Can't they just go easy?

I also did not like the whole this is my sacrifice thing. Yes I would have liked it so much more if he had been attracted to men. And if they men they had been nice and not all we are wolves. Hey Viradechtis did not suffer as he did! SO men are worse.

It is their way. Still the dread he felt...


Conclusion:
But it is a good book. I liked the world. I would read more from this world, and I would wish someone would change the ways things are done.

Narrator Chris Chambers
I really felt Isolfr through his voice. He did a great job with getting in all the emotions Isolfr felt. He sure made it easy listening to it.

14 comments:

  1. I read the spoiler and yeah - not a book I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the concept of this

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW..I didn't read the spoiler b/c I may pick this one up. But now I am worries about what the spoiler may be :( I love the concept of the bond and telepathic communication with the wolves though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good, except for the spoiler. That's too bad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever way to hide the spoiler but... definitely this one is not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait. So hold up. If you are a male wolf who is bonded to a female, when it's mating season, the other male wolves with rape the bonded male?
    o.0? Am I understanding that right? I loved the sound that they are wolves and do as wolves do but that highlighted part seems a bit out there for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, euww, sorry my bad. The men bonded o the wolves will take you. The wolves ovbi go for the female wolf

      Delete
  7. Id not heard of author or narrator. So many books...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really curious about this narrator. I don't think I have listened to him yet.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP