Sunday 19 December 2010

Review: You dropped a Blonde on me - Dakota Cassidy

Ex Trophy Wives, 1

Genre: Contemporary romance, humour
Pages: 368
Published: Dec 2010

She was the perfect party-planning, haute-to-the max trophy wife. Now Maxine Cambridge is broke, unemployable and living with her mother and teenage son in a retirement village, with her self-esteem kicked to the curb.

Until her geeky former classmate Campbell Barker returns, all grown-up- and off-the-scale smokin' hot. Campbell refuses to believe Max isn't that smart, funny girl he's crushed on since high school. The more Max tries to show him he's wrong, the more she rediscovers her long-retired mojo. Now, she's ready to throw down some payback on her ex-life and fight for what she deserves.

Plot:
Maxine had it all, but then her husband traded her for a younger model and she, thanks to an iron-clad prenup, had nothing. Forced to live with her mother in an retirement village, together with her son. No job, no future, and one big volcano of anger brewing inside of her. Then she meets Campbell Barker, and old classmate, and perhaps there is hope for an ex trophy wife after all.

My thoughts:
I always wanted to read a Cassidy novel, they all look so adorable and this one was sure looked so too.

Maxine is one big mess. She has tried to get every job there is, but not so easy when she has no experience, either than being married to a cheating scum bag. She continues to be a mess too, but with less and less meltdowns. Her ex sure did a number on her, and I kept waiting for him to get what he had coming to him. Cos Max was smart, and sexy, but she could no longer see it herself. She mostly thought her life was over at 40. But there is always a knight in shining armour and that is Campbell in this book, he is hot, and he wants her, and has wanted her since high school. And if anyone needs a hot man lusting after her it's Maxine.

I liked Maxine, sure she freaked over some things, but she was scared. Campbell is one great hero in my eyes, he just kept coming back, and would not give up. Then there are the side characters, like her hilarious mum Mona, and all the rest of the elderly in the village. They spiced up the book for sure. There is also a sidestory about her friend Len, who has mourned her husband for years and a man she meets. A mysterious man who is after something.

This book had romance, and it had humour. Like when she visits WallMart and gets really excited over tampons because they are so cheap. She was never a silly spoiled wife, but still she did have everything catered to her so she forgot how to take care of herself, and she learns that in this book.

One thing though, it took me a while to read it for some reason. Strange, I do not know why. I guess some books just are meant to be read slower.

Final thoughts and recommendation:
To all you romance and humour fans. A fun book about self discovery, and then throw in some passion, an idiot of an ex, a bunch of old people who is not afraid to say what they think, and you got this book. A 3,5 cos I would recommend it, and you know you want to know if that cheating ex gets what he deserves.

Reason for reading:
Her paranormal books look so cute, so of course I wanted to try this one and see how she writes.

Cover:
Cute



33 comments:

  1. Sounds a good pick-you-up book; what a pity in reality such women as Max rarely meet a knight in a shining armour... nice review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read one book by her a paranormal romance, it was cute, but also took me awhile to read.

    Her books always seem to be filled with humor-I'm going to have to try a contemporary one now after your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana
    So true, she got lucky there to meet such a good guy, but then this is romance :)

    Bucky
    Hm, so maybe all her books just takes awhile to read then for some reason. I could never put my finger on it.

    And I have to try those paranormals.

    Sabrina
    Hm too much, well it was not like that here. The humour was rather toned down, or at least I though so :)
    Ohh here is to hoping you will get the book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I LOVE Dakota's Paranormal books and this sounds great too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie
    I love cute :) and I needed cute. I have been on such a historical, kick-ass adventure tour lately.

    Larissa
    So wanna try them, those covers are just too cute to be true :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the cover and title is fabulously funny. Great review makes me want to read it and it is not my genre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have to read this one! I added it to my wishlist. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've loved the title of this one and want to try it. Especially when the ex is bad and gets what is deserved. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marce
    Yay, that is good to hear. Perhaps you wanna take a look at another genre then :)

    Yvonne
    I do think you would enjoy this one

    Janna
    Lol, I guess, if you like doggies that is

    Melissa
    He is such an ass, I mean leave his wife and son with nothing more than the clothes on their backs, what a creep

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know why but I've never read any of Dakot Cassidy's books but this one sounds like a lot of fun. If I see it at the book store I'll certainly buy it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm. I haven't read any of her stuff. I wonder if I would find it TOO cute?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the title. Great review. I'll keep an eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a big fan of romance, but I do like humor and I think that title is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds a light fun read! we all need that at some time or the other.

    I have a book on my Mailbox Monday Country Pursuits which I think you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey honey! I have a few Ms. Cassidy books. OF course I have not gotten to them yet... one day... one day I promise I will get to them! They seem like great reads!
    Your review is great honey!
    I hope you had a great weekend and I hope your week is just as good!!!! Hugs honey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds cute and fun...something I need every once in a while! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried to read one of her books once. It was a paranormal and the second of the series. I stopped after the first couple pages because I found the heroine annoying and although there was humor in it, it was annoying to me that it seemed to be let's get these charecters together from the previous book at the expense of the plot of this one.

    This is making me want to try her again. Maybe I'll like this one better since it's not a paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simcha
    I don't know either, with myself that is, cos I have been eyeing them for some time now.

    Chris
    Too cute, hm, nah, I don't think so, nothing fluffy really

    Linda
    I do think you could enjoy this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bermuda
    The title sure caught my interest, I love a fun title.

    Mystica
    Ohhh, I must come on over and have a look at that one.
    And yes, light reads are such a must sometimes

    Cecile
    Lol, I am sure you will one day :D And when that day comes i hope you will enjoy them
    Wishing you a great week hon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melissa
    Same with me, it has been a while since I had something light, so this one did the trick

    Lynette
    Hm, I am sorry but can't help you there, since I have not read her PNR books. Still no peeps from other books in this one so perhaps you would enjoy it better

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the review of this one -- it sounds like something I'd like for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic! I didn't know she even wrote stuff like this. Great review, thanks!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yeah this book sounds like a really fun read and I agree with you, that cover is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Darlene
    I think so :) All sweet and nice, and with some drama too

    Sassy
    It should be, if I remember correctly, her first non PNR, but might be wrong

    Amused
    Isn't it :) So fun and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always humour between the pages... it makes for a good reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol! "married to a cheating scum bag'!!?? Hilarious. I need me some humor so I may just go for this one.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't heard of this author before, but this sounds like a fun. light read -- perfect escapist fare!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lilly
    Thank you :) Merry Christmas to you too *hugs*

    DC
    That is just what it is :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP