Monday 13 December 2010

Tradition Post and Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Ok tradition time again. But first, I am not speaking for the whole country here, as I in the  end belongs to a minority. So some things are for the entire country, some for just my parts, and some things just differ from place to place.

pics have been removed....

"Little Christmas"
This is celebrated on a Saturday before the first of Advent. There is usually a Little Xmas tree (now we just have a tiny plastic one), and it's the first time you feel Xmas is near.

When I was younger we made Little Xmas cards, and then we took those and went from neighbour to neighbour and opened the door and threw them in. Then you had to run as fast as you could so they would not catch you. It was so much fun, but that tradition seems to have died out with my generation ,now I sound really old! But we have not gotten one in the last 10 years, and the thing is, people lock their doors more often now too.) I also usually got a Little Xmas present, this year (haha I am still a kid) a chocolate calendar.








December 6th
This is our Independence Day and it's a quiet celebration. We light candles, and the president holds this big ball, and people usually watch that on tv. There are also soldier parades, and we honour those that fell for our freedom. And they always show Unknown Solider on tv. In the end it's not a day you celebrate, it is more a day that is.


December 13th Lucia Day
How to explain this one then. It's a Saint's day and the only saint we celebrate in the end. One girl is elected Lucia, so she gets this white dress with a red ribbon and she wears a crown of candles. She has her maidens with her, they holds candles in their hands and they sing Lucia songs, and some Christmas songs too. It seems to be an saint we held on, because she brings light at the darkest time of the year, when the sun barely makes it up before setting again. And perhaps  her origin is also from  a Goddess of Light.

Today Lucia has more followers, a few little santas, and Staffan Stalledräng, now what the heck is he, a stableboy? Ok did some digging, he comes from  when young people went around collection money and sang Staffan songs. Seems he comes from Saint Stefan, but since he has horses, perhaps some old God with horses too.

We also eat Lucia buns (not my fave). And a Lucia is elected in every school, city, for the whole of Finland. I never was Lucia, always only a maiden. They always pick the really pretty blonde girls,well or like to.

It's a pagan day mixed with Christian tradition, since you can never get the pagans truly out of us.


As for the real Lucia, she was a Christian martyr from Sicily. Her fiancé turned her in when she gave money to the poor. So she cut out her eyes and sent them to him.

Nightly, go heavy hearts
Round farm and steading
On earth, where sun departs,
shadows are spreading.
Then in our dark house,
(she) arises with lights lit
Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia!

Night-darkling, huge and still.

Hark, something's stirring!
In all our silent rooms,
Wingbeats are whisp'ring!
Stands on our threshold there,
White clad, lights in her hair,
Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia!

"Darkness shall fly away

Through earthly portals."
She brings such wonderful
words to us all!
Daylight, again renewed
will rise, all rosy-hued!
Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia!


Next Tradition post is Dec 24th ;) Edit: yikes, where is my head


And last a short review for 
Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness
Chaos Walking 3

Genre: YA, dystopian, sci-fi
Pages: 603
Published: 2010

"War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge.

Truth be told I was disappointed. But that happened first at the end. Book 1 was so freaking amazing and I could not put it down. Book 2 was ok but things did not feel the same, and then this third one was ok. But not spectacular anymore.

Though I like how he brings in choice, genocide, feminism, and terrorism into this strange world. Because it is a good world, where the thoughts of men and animals can be heard and there is never silence.

Todd had to free the mayor/president so that he could lead the army against the spackle, the indgineous people of the planet. Behind Prentiss' army is another army, the women's army, they who the men wanted dead because the were silent. Then the spaceships arrive.

So it's a book about war, and terror.

Now why did I not like it, well the last 50 pages you got me mad. I got disappointed in someone and then angry cos in the end I just did not get it. Was it a happy ending, three words does not make it so. it could have been 2 other things too. So after reading 600 pages I wanted it a lot clearer and the whole book just got destroyed by it.


I am so forgetful!

The winners of The Heir by Grace Burrowes are
Melissa (Iswim) and Carrie (hammock)

Congrats! :)

42 comments:

  1. I love your tradition post! Lucia Day sounds especially wonderful, you're lucky that you celebrate it.

    Sorry the book disappointed you. But we can't like all books. I hope the next book you read will be to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B,

    Thank you for sharing your traditions with us. :)

    When you threw the cards in the peoples doors and ran - did they really give chase - or was it just pretend? LOL

    And I agree, people can't leave their door unlocked anymore. My mother in law is terrible about doing it - she is 85 and used to do it all the time years ago - but it is too dangerous now.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like reading about the tradition post! I spent a bit of time in Finland but never during Christmas! Makes me feel nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! In Croatia St Lucia is also celebrated but it is nothing fancy. We plant wheat in small pot and if it grows green and healthy until Christmas it means the next year will be fertile and rich. We usually put that wheat on our table as Christmas decoration.

    Sorry the book wasn't your thing :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learning the story behind St Lucia's Day... Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your holiday traditions! The Lucia buns look yummy to me. Are they sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to have won, Linda!

    I loved learning about your traditions, and about St. Lucia Day! I miss the traditions from South Africa when I was little, but I suppose the US traditions are still nice - much too much about money though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irena
    Thanks :D It was so well received back at Easter so gonna continue all year around. But how busy December is.

    So true, I know people loved this one so I can be one of those that just didn't then.

    Michelle
    :)
    Well some came out on the porch and some did chase. This one guy came out running in his socks, and we hid behind boat. And this is Finland, so snow and cold, lol, so much fun. People still do leave their doors open, at least on the country side, but of course not when they are gone anymore.

    Mystica
    I did not know you have been here :D How fun.
    Thanks, spreading some knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Host
    I like your tradition, we have nothing like that. I should start that too ;)

    Chris
    Yes, and it got more brutal, oh those Romans.

    Diana
    They taste like normal wheat buns really, but I do think they have saffron in them too. And raisins on top, bleh

    Melissa
    Sighs, it's about money everywhere :( Look who is talking, I love presents, Still nothing feels like when I was a kid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry that the book wasn't that great. ;) I like this post, to hear all the fun stuff that you do before christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so nice to see how other countries celebrate Christmas. I love this post.

    I didn't enjoy Monsters of Men as much as the first book either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi B!

    Thanks for sharing your traditions with us, always enjoy hearing about something besides the US. Is this where the opera comes from I wonder?

    Sorry the book disappointed you, sometimes I'm expecting one type of book and get another, always infuriating! LOL

    Excellent honest review!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the tradition post. I would have had tons of fun giving out cards like that!

    Almost makes me want to do a post about our Posada tradition in my little town. Everyone, even those who aren't Catholic or Christian, enjoy the parade. That is what I like about it. :)

    I don't think I would have liked the book without a good ending either. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting post. ewww, that is a morbid lucia picture. cool story about her though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tradition post is really a splendid way to show how your country differs from the others - thank you and keep doing the good work! I hjaven't heard about St Lucia's celebrations!

    I was also interested in the review as I've just ordered the first part of the series (or I hope it is the first part - "The Knife of Never Letting Go"). Pity it doesn't keep the high level but it is often the case, unfortunately.

    Congrats to the lucky winners!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your traditions posts. I remember learning a little about St. Lucia day back in elementary school. I always loved the pictures of the girl with the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nina
    I am glad you enjoyed it :) They are fun to write, cos all countries has such different traditions.

    Vivienne
    It's sad, but some sequels just don't have that extra that the first book had.

    Dottie
    Opera? Is there a Lucia opera? Must be a depressing one. We usually don't think about the real Lucia in the end.
    But yes, some books, I mean it was ok, but I was disappointed :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melissa
    Please make a post cos I have no idea what Posada is :)
    I am so glad you all enjoy these posts.
    And yes the cards were so fun to deliver. I loved it as a kid and then when I stopped it was so fun to rush out and see if I could catch someone.

    VVB
    It kind of popped up so I used it, but yes, not a pretty sight at all

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your tradition posts. It's all so different from what I know and that makes it so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ana
    Oh the first book is just amazing! I am sure you will love it. And sadly books often start to drag out a bit as they go on, though the series was still ok. But still I would totally recommend the first book to everyone.

    Glad you enjoyed the post. I wanted to share our traditions cos I do know that so many differ. And I still have a couple more to write about

    Carol
    Oh cool, so you have heard about it :D Lucia is sure a sight, I always liked it. Everything was dark and then there was light

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so much fun to read about your traditions. We don't have these specific ones in the Netherlands.

    Happy Lucia Day, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this post and learning about your Christmas traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Darlene
    I am so glad you enjoy them :) just what I wanted for them

    Janna
    Thanks! Yes some seem to be very specific to certain countries

    Amused
    So glad you liked it :=)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing - I love hearing about other people's traditions. I'd heard of St. Lucy but not these traditions - very beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I totally loved your tradition posts and am slightly obsessed with the Pagan traditions as I've often felt more drawn to them.

    As for the series, my son read #1 and really didn't care for it so I haven't bothered to read it. So many people rave about it but after reading your thoughts I think I will finally put this one to rest and just pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love reading about traditions. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Patti
    When googling pics I saw that you spell it Saint Lucy, made me think of Narnia ;)

    Staci
    I did love book 1 but after that one, not so much.
    Oh me too, I love the old Pagan stuff really, that is what holidays are all about, lol, mixed in. Now it is just about money

    Thanks Yvonne :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's interesting reading about your holidays and customs. I wish you a warm, happy and safe holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Saint Lucia celebration sounds wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely Tradition B!! Your decorations are so pretty..

    I love this time of year and to read about celebrations across the world makes it all the more special.

    Nice review too.

    Thank you for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Hk :D
    the same to you

    bermuda
    It sure brings light into this eternal darkness that is Finnish December

    Lea
    I am happy to share with you all :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing your holiday traditions with us :)

    I remember reading about St Lucia day in my american girl books!! Kirsten's story :) I think she was from Sweden.

    St lucia's tale is pretty gruesome!!!

    I hope you enjoy your holiday season!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Carrie
    Oh yes it's Swedish thing and we got it from there, my peeps speaking Swedish and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I so enjoy reading about your Finnish traditions. I love learning about other cultures. Thanks Linda.

    Sorry the book wasn't such a great read too. Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jenny
    I am glad you enjoy reaidng about them :D I do have fun writing them too

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your posts on traditions! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great traditions! They all sound sweet, especially Lucia Day.
    sorry the book dissapointed. I'd be upset too after reading 600 pages.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Anna :)

    Naida
    I truly was, I just felt like why?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I loved your review but I really loved your discussion about your traditions. How way cool. Thank you for sharing.

    I love the little Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am glad you enjoyed reading about this JuJu :D it truly is for all of you

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP