Monday 27 December 2010

Review: Real Mermaids don't wear toe rings - Helene Boudreau

Genre: YA/MG, paranormal
Pages: 224
Published: December 2010 Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

Freak of nature takes on a whole new meaning...

If she hadn't been so clueless, she might have seen it coming. But really, who expects to get into a relaxing bathtub after a stressful day of shopping for tankinis and come out with scales and a tail?

Most. Embarrassing. Moment. Ever.

Jade soon discovers she inherited her mermaid tendencies from her mom. But if Mom was a mermaid, how did she drown?

Jade is determined to find out. So how does a plus-size, aqua-phobic mer-girl go about doing that exactly? And how will Jade ever be able to explain her secret to her best friend, Cori, and to her crush, Luke?

Plot:
Jade finds out she is a mermaid. Her best friend spends a lot of time with another girl, and Luke, her crush, why would he ever look at her. There is a lot to handle.

My thoughts:
This was a short cute book, and I loved the mermaid explanation. That was really original and it almost made me believe it could be true. So here the author really thought about how and why there are mermaids.

Jade is a nice girl, her mum drowned a year earlier and she is trying to cope. She gets her period and her dad goes all out and buys a cart filled with products, hilarious and funny. Then she finds out she can become a mermaid, and she is really scared. Who wouldn't be since she know nothing at all about being a mermaid. There is also friendship drama since a new girl tries to move into their group, and she is not that nice. And of course then there is the crush, and Luke is a really sweet guy. But the teenage drama is never too drama, instead the focus is more on her coping with this new situation and what that brings.

There is also some action, I shall not give any details, but something is going to happen.

All in all this was a sweet book. I started to read and read it in one sitting. I was amused, and the mermaid angle, oh so good. I wonder where she got the idea of their origin?

Recommendation and final thoughts:
A yes there, this is something young girls would enjoy. First there is mermaids, cool, the crush, and issues with friends. The paranormal and the down to earth things all young people go through. It's a 3,5. I enjoyed the book. 

Reason for readings:
Jumped on the mermaid wagon

Cover: 
Cute

review copy from the publisher

30 comments:

  1. I like books which has a high authentic feel to it... I can connect more with the book if it rings true to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be an exciting book if you were able to read it in one sitting! I like the mermaid angle too -- life under the sea has always intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does sound like a cute book B! What a great review. Thanks for sharing I hope you enjoyed a lovely Christmas :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting premise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry
    The evidence of things were just so good, if she just made it up like that then she sure has some imagination.

    Yvonne
    Thanks, and yes it was :)

    DC
    Lol, well, I was a bit bookstarved and suddenly I had finished this one :=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice review! the title of the books is really cute LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see the book is as cute as the title.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds cute, but maybe a little too teenagey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mermaids and I won this book so now I can't wait to read it. Sounds like a cute read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lea
    Thanks :) I hope you had a nice holiday too. I got books, yay.
    And yes such a cute book.

    Chris
    Fun and short, yay

    Larissa
    Lol, yes I do like cute cute titles, and for a YA/MG title it is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bermuda
    I do like when that happens :)

    Carol
    Well, that is true, so of course so much better for that crowd

    Melissa
    I hope you like it! Can't even remember the last time I read about mermaids

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mermaids are a new one for me..sounds like a book that I could see some of my students reading for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A cute and simple story for teens - thanks for your review! Life as a mermaid must be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL - cute title and sounds like a cute story too

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi B!

    Have to try this one, sounds cute! And I read a lot of YA anyway, have to try a new author!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds cute, don't think I've read any mermaid stories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not heard of this book before, but I guess they cant wear toe-rings, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Staci
    I do think the book would be great for them :)

    Ana
    All the fish you could see, or being eaten by sharks! Scary

    Velvet
    Cute all the way around :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dottie
    I do like some YA or MG sometimes, hihi, for me it's so short, and they are so sweet too. I like sweet

    Teddyree
    The more I think about it, the more unsure I get if I have read something other than this before

    Girls
    Lol, can be pretty trick with that tail :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review. This book sounds and looks just too cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mermaids seem to be pretty popular this year. I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nina
    I am sure you would like it :)

    Darlene
    They are everywhere so had to check them out to see what was happening

    ReplyDelete
  23. this sounds all around cute. The title and the premise.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. This does sound like a cute book. Perhaps I'll see if I can get a hold it it for when I'm in the mood of a light and fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Naida
    You got it :)

    Simcha
    It was perfect for me, cos I was struggling with this book fantasy book (it's good, but it takes so long to read) so I finished this book and then I was on a roll again

    ReplyDelete
  26. i am definitely on the mermaid bandwagon!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carrie
    Let's jump in the ocean then :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP