Sunday 15 May 2011

Review: Fallenwood - Leslie Soule


Genre: Fantasy/paranormal
Pages: 199, ebook
Published: March 3rd 2011
Review by Lis

Fallenwood—a land where magic is the life force, dragons are sages, and wizards good and evil battle for supremacy. When 16-year-old Ash is thrust into the middle of Fallenwood’s power struggles, she is also forced to face her own inner battles. Life on Earth was hard enough on Ash, who is locked in grief for her stepfather. Now, the fate of Fallenwood rests on her shoulders. She must destroy the Great Crystal—the catalyst for all the land’s magic. As the kingdoms prepare for war, Ash must look inside to find the power to save the world, and herself.

-----------------
Do you ever have that feeling like you don’t belong? You go through the routines, but nothing really makes sense. You question why it is you do what you do, but you don’t know why you do it. You just go on and on and one until one day you’ve had enough. That one day you just know something has to change and something has to be done because enough is enough! It’s a bit like that for Ashley Kensington. For her it gets harder and harder to get out of bed each day and face the world. She goes through her routines, goes to her dead end job day after day. Then one day the ashes of her stepfather are spread, it all becomes enough and Ashley runs into the woods to end it only to end up in Fallenwood a magical world where Ashley has a role to play and is part of a legacy.

This is certainly an interesting book. It’s not often that you meet a character who is as depressed as Ashley and who has such a big role to play, but I loved that she doesn’t give up. She struggles, yes, and she fights her depression, but with the guidance of the wizard Will she doesn’t give up.

The story of Fallenwood is fast paced. It’s not hard to keep up but a lot of things happen. At times it left me going: “huh?!” and then: “ohhhh right got it!”

There are also a lot of characters in this book. It’s almost like a high fantasy book in that regard. You have to keep track of your characters and their part in the story. From wizards to locked-up princes to shifting cats to other humans Fallenwood has it all. I would think that it’s not easy writing a story with such a big plot and such a cast of characters and at points you could see that the narrative wasn’t quite up to par. Luckily it’s nothing major and you can overlook it. This is the first book I’ve read by this author, but I think that a little practice will make perfect.

There is also a lot of world building in this story, which you would have to if you switch from good ole earth to a magical mystical one and I found that it was done just right. The author gives you enough to get a clear view of Fallenwood but doesn’t do so that it’s intrusive.

Fallenwood was not an easy book to review. While I liked it, I’ve been in a book slump and am very critical of the books I read and get easily bored (something I hope to overcome very soon). As a result this was not a book that suited my mood, especially with Ashley fighting depression. At the same time I could really appreciate the time and effort that went into this book and I can see why people would really like this book. So invite you to pick it up and find out for yourself! If you like a good fantasy book with a wide cast of characters and flawed character that are not your typical run of the mill cast of characters and an epic happenings then Fallenwood is definitely for you!



24 comments:

  1. Definitely one I want to read! I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems quite a different fantasy novel - I haven't seen any fantasy with the MC suffering from depression. I think it will be an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something doesn't look quite right about her head on that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the way you described this book. I haven't really gotten back into the swing of fantasy yet...but I'll keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might work for me too. Depression is a topic close to my heart and I like fantasy. There's just one but. I don't like books which resemble a movie script. I am willing to try this one, though. Great review as always, thanks Lis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the review Lis! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vivienne
    I am glad it sounds good to you

    Misha
    It sure sounds different, and it is fun that authors try new things

    Chris
    *turns head* huh, I see it

    Staci
    I love fantasy myself but that is not secret. That is how I met Lis btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana
    I have said it before, Lis is the best, I fear her reviews are much better than mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love characers that dont give up and just mope around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds good...yet another book to add to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may not have felt like it, but it was a good review! Hopefully you will really enjoy the next book more. Sounds interesting and a bit different. I will have to check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the nice review of this Decadent Publishing title. I am checking out your blog and do like it! Fabulous job.

    Heather Bennett
    Decadent Publishing

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean about the book slump. I seem to be harsher on my books these past few weeks as well, when I put the numbers to it anyway. I've enjoyed a few books and will keep with the series, but they wheren't as "out of this world" as many people had me feeling they would be. But, books go on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blodeuedd your reviews are just different than those of Lis but I like them both (and for different reasons!)

    Lis I hope your book slump will pass soon - everybody experiences it from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone! Yes, it was certainly most different from other fantasy books.

    Decadent publishing: you're welcome. B. has a wonderful blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gah! I can imagine reading this one while in a slump would make it hard to get through.

    I would have given up, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kudos for being honest. Our place always affects our taste I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to repost my lost blogger posts from last week too - so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoy fantasy, but I don't think I'll be picking this one up. Sounds like she tried to almost accomplish too much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenny
    Just like characters should be :)

    Yvonne
    That poor wish-list, lol

    Melissa
    She certainly did well

    Decadent
    Thank you so much for stopping by and enjoying the blog :)

    Melissa
    And I have been enjoying books that others weren't too keen about, lol

    Awww thanks Ana :D I guess I always feel like I ramble on, lol

    Missie
    I do like that she did not give up cos those slumps are just evil

    juju
    So true, it can change a lot

    Amused
    I know, so very very annoying! So upset with them

    Carol
    Thanks for stopping by though

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you come out of that book slump. I'm the same when I'm in one - nothing really makes me happy whether it's good or not. That being said this one sounds good except maybe for the multitude of characters. I don't always like that. The cover is great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dar
    They are the worst, I do not even wanna say the word in case it affects me and I get it too

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never heard of this book but it does sounds interesting, and rather different. I've also been going through a reading slump lately and have been gravitating towards fast, easy reads, so if I do try this one I'll probably have to wait a while until I'm in the right frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Simcha
    reading slumps are evil, but I usually go for short reads then too. Short and especially easy where I do not need to think

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP