Tuesday 31 May 2011

Review: Delirium - Lauren Oliver

Series: Delirium 1
Genre: YA, dystopia
Pages: 441
Published: 2011

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

My thoughts:
I had heard the hype, I was curious, and I am happy to say that for me it totally lived up to what I had heard. This book was great.

Sure it made me wonder a few times. Since you can't love any more  you live in a grey bubble. Then how can marriages work, should it not make people not care if they remember to make food for the other one. And if the other person looks like a swampmonster then how can they even have sex? Since sex is not fun any more either and it's not like people want babies since they do not really care at all. Would it not be better if they just went to a doctor instead of being intimate. Because that would make more sense in a world where love and passion is illegal. You do not love your spouse that the government chooses for you, you do not love your children or particularly want them. The government tells you how many you should have. Anyway that was mostly what I wondered about.

This was then the horrible world Lena lived in. It was all so normal and grey. She waited for the cure and wanted it. Love was a disease, again here I wondered, not all have the "Love symptoms", people can sure function and still be in love. Anyway, yes I when really like a book I always question it. The world was perfect in its silent horror. Mothers did not care to hug they children if they fell. Because that was bad. How anyone could grow up in that world beats me. But that is what made it so good, it all seemed to make sense. Yes love can do horrible things, and can lead to violence and now the world was better. But not really as Lena slowly finds out when she falls in love. The world and lives are gray, lifeless and boring, but love is not something you should live without. It makes you feel alive. Of course the people in this book do not see it like that.

Great world and a sad love story about two people falling in love in a world where that could get you killed.

The ending then, I am just going to leave you with a omg! 

Conclusion: 
This book was amazing. I read it fast and I could not get enough. Freaky dystopia worlds are the best to read about. And now I really want book 2 and I will sure be buying it when it comes out.Of course I recommend it.

Big thanks to Janicu for sending me it :D

Rating:
I am telling you, read it.

Cover.
meh

39 comments:

  1. Ok - I'll read it! Again, I do have a copy at home...and will be picking it up soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really glad to read your review! Initially I was very excited about the book when it released, but after reading a very negative review of the book, I was no longer interested. Reading your thoughts makes me want to read Delirium. I cannot even think of a world where love is considered a disease! :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been pestering you on Goodreads about this but I'll say it again; I'm so glad liked it :D This is so far one of my favorite books this year.

    And YAAAY for Janicu for sending it to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vivienne
    I sure did :D

    @Mel
    Then you certainly must pick it up. So good!

    @Misha
    It was horrible, I mean your parents doesn't even love you.It's more that they tolerate you being there. What a world. But then it was that which made it a great dystopia book

    @ladybug
    It will be one of my fav books this year too :D Since I do not read much YA then perhaps the best YA this year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it! I could not put it down. Look forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So glad you enjoyed this one:) I was hesitant to read it as well since there was so much hype and I didn't want to be disappointed, but once i read it I realized I shouldn't have worried. I loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds so good. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. B,

    I just finished this book and wanted to pull my hair out at the ending.

    I hope there is another one because I really want to know what Lena is going to do now. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL-freaky dystopia, now i'm interested ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I am glad to see it lived up to the hype! This is one I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, this really is not my thing, but glad you liked it this much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I must read it for sure...lovelorn and loveless dystopia...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes -- also v glad it lived up to the hype!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving all the YA dystopia's right now. Even my cousin has read this and told me to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree about the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Nise
    I was the same. I could not and did not want to put this book down

    @Jenny
    I am always so scared of the hype cos I have been disappointed more than once. But like you I started it and realized that I would not get disappointed

    @Linda
    I hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Michelle
    Omg the end. I just sat there dumbstruck and did not know what to do. And then I cursed myself for not waiting to read until book 2 was out. I need to know

    @VV
    I love freaky dystopia

    @Amused
    I sure love when they do that, so I can gladly recommend the book

    @Aurian
    Too bad cos it's good ;) But then dystopia is not for everyone

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Ana
    I hope you like it, even if I am sure you would perhaps think about those same things as I did. It did make me question things but then the best books makes me do just that ;)

    @Audra
    I was relieved cos I sure hate being disappointed by a book

    @Jenny
    You must read it! I tell you, it's awesome

    @£Chris
    They can't all rock :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. swampmonster? LOL

    You always make me laugh. Yeah, I would say that there seems to be a lot of plot holes if people are still able to function without emotion. how do you do that?

    But it is a good sign if you still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good to hear you liked it! I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Not that common with YA :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree about the cover - very forgettable. I have a great amount of disbelief over the dearth of love in human society. It just doesn't seem probable to me - for love and affection is a basic human need. However, the fact that you enjoyed the book very much urges me to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you liked it. I've heard only good things!
    'a world where love and passion is illegal'<-what a shame if that were true!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey with you saying OMG at the end... you should have put an *evil laugh* there. :)

    Yep, this is going on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woohoo so glad you loved it too! Totally agree with you on the ending; can't wait for the next one LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmm, I think I would have to be like you and question a world with out love too. But Caring and love I guess are two different things. Sounds really interesting and so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds wonderful! I really enjoy reading a good YA novel. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm joining it and must read it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. YESSSS! YES YES YES! I loved this book so much. I was one of the ones that loved this book and couldn't read Matched...so glad you loved it! Fab review :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Missie
    I never really question books, I just go along for the ride. But for some reason if I really like it I start to question things..weird..anyway it was still freaking amazing!

    @Elysium
    I know the feeling very well. Me and YA, it's a troublesome relationship

    @Steph
    It does seem like religion had much to do about it too, religion and science together. And it did end violence..well sort of

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Naida
    You could not even hug your cat without being punished :( But of course with the cure you would not want to

    @melissa
    Forgot! ;) Hihi *inserts evil laugh* Oh you know it's big then

    @Melissa
    Actually caring is not allowed and doesn't exist either. Lena has a sister that forgets to visit cos she does not feel a need for it. Horrible world

    ReplyDelete
  31. @teddy
    That ending! I am just...wow, I really need the next book

    @DC
    I do hope you read it cos it's great

    @Staci
    yes yes :D read it! Lol

    @Melissa
    I am so glad I liked it :D It was just amazing and I do love Lauren's writing

    ReplyDelete
  32. This book does sound interesting and I always enjoy a good dystopia but I think all the questions that you ask would probably drive me crazy as well. Many of these books leave too much unexplained for the dystopian world to really make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't imagine love being a disease! This sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow sounds awesome!! i've been curious about this one

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Simcha
    They will sure always make me question things, but still I always fall for them :)

    @Bermuda
    They had some crazy ideas for sure

    @Carrie
    You really have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great review. I've heard so many mixed reviews on this one but I really want to read it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a good example of how a cover can make or break a book and how awesome bloggers who review books are important and helpful. I saw the cover of this book and almost, I did say ALMOST, skipped over this review to go to the next. You know I'm trying to catch up so sometimes I'll just look at covers and read the title and if it doesn't catch my eyes I'll move on to the next one...well I'm very happy I saw that you had placed this as a must read. So I read your review, it sounds amazing, and it is now on my Goodreads TBR list! :-D Thanks for the awesome review lady. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Darlene
    You really should try it :)

    @deanna
    I know about that. Many times I have skipped over books cos the covers have been ugly or bleh, and then later I have heard people rave about it. I am horrible ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP