Wednesday 1 June 2011

Review: Mr Darcy goes overboard - Belinda Roberts + a challenge

Genre: Pride and Prejudice variation
Pages: 176
Published: June 1st 2011 Sourcebooks

Mr. Darcy Goes Overboard replaces ballgowns with bikinis, country mansions with luxury yachts and the militia with a fiercely competetive squad of local lifeguards...

The Bennet family is enjoying their seaside home in Salcombe when Mrs. Bennet hears that the nearby magnificent villa Netherpollock has been taken by a young man of great fortune. She is determined that one of her daughters will go out with him, until Mr. Darcy glides into the harbour on his yacht and she decides he would be the better catch.

My thoughts:
Yes I am back with another P&P variation, what more can you all expect from me. I am hopelessly addicted.

This one is set at a little fashionable town near the sea. The players are all the same, the story is the same (with exceptions of course, this being a variation and all.) Lizzy still feels hurt by Mr Darcy's remark, Bingley is still very much in love with Jane, Charlotte still does the reasonable thing and Mr Collins is still a creep. But there are no soldiers, instead there are lifeguards and instead of parties they attend different festivities and sail a lot.

The book is fairly silly, though in a good way. It's an amusing story in a different setting and everyone is very young and hip. It's a good book to take to the beach. You will read it fast and be a bit amused during it.

Sure there were things I thought were a bit too strange. Lydia's change of heart, now that was the freakiest thing ever. And why Mrs Bennet was so set on them getting married, in this age they are all kids still. But like I said, it's meant to be funny and not taken too seriously. I also noticed that the author has written plays before, and yes I could see this story as  some kind of farce. Especially Mr Collins would do well on the scene ;) Don't think too much, some books you just read.

Conclusion:
A nice little beach read.

Cover:
Cute

rating:
Ok


Source: Publisher

-------------------------------------------------
And now to something else. I decided to be a part of a challenge since it has been so long since I last took part. 

Timeline: 1st June 2011 ~ 30th Sept 2011. Only books started on June 1st count towards this challenge.
4 months, 8 books or double it to 1. All romance genres and subgenres













16..why not :D

I will even try to list the books I mean to read
1. Demons prefers blondes - Sydney Ayers (since I started it today ;) (PNR)
2. Soldier - Grace Burrowes (HR)
3. Follow my Lead - Kate Noble (HR)
4. Nightfall by Ellen Connor
5. Succubi like it hot - Jill Myles (PNR)
6. Alien in the family - Gini Koch (Scifi romance)
7. Love and Freedom by Sue Moorcroft 
 8.The Secret diaries of M C - Julia Quinn (HR)
 9.Ten things I love about you - Julia Quinn (HR)
10.Seven nights of forever - Evangeline Collins (HR)
11. Heartless by gail Carriger 
12. Play of Passion - Nalini Singh 
13 In the heat of the Bite - Lydia dare (HR PNR)
14 Touch me if you dare - Stephanie Rowe 
15 A wife for MR Darcy - Mary Lydon Simonsen (HR)

 Dreams of dark warrior - kresley Cole (HR)
Midnight Brunch - Marta Acosta (PNR)

A gentleman never tells - Amelia Grey (HR)


 Burning up (PNR and more)
.Prelude to scandal  - Delilah Marvelle (HR)
 The madness of Lord Ian McKenzie - Jennifer Ashley (HR)

But this will of course change, but I at least have a plan :=)

35 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect for the beach :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently started reading Austen variations, thanks to your reviews :) I have enjoyed most of them; Mr Darcy goes Overboard is another one to add to my long list of Austen retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe how many Pride and Prejudice variations there are out there! I had no idea:) This one sounds especially cute though:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a cute read!

    Good luck on your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, despite my hate of most chick lit covers, I do kind of like this one -- it's rather sweet and seems to fit the feel of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My review of "Mr. Darcy Goes Overboard" will be up tomorrow - - we seem to share some of the same opinions. Definitely a fun summer read!

    Good luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually read Austen variations, but the cover on this is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, sounds perfect if you are addicted...I mean hopelessly infatuated with Mr. Darcy. I am not.

    By the way what kind of challenge is it for you my dear? It's as if a marathon runner promised to run some measly 20 kilometers...;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mary
    I do like a book about a beach while on the beach

    @Misha
    YaY, I am so glad you have started reading variations and there are sure many out there. For all tastes

    @Jenny
    Hihi, there are ..A LOT ;) Ok not that many but it has sure exploded

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Carrie
    :D

    @Chris
    Thanks :D I have already made some changes to that list, who am I kidding with a list

    @Audra
    I love silly covers ;) But I am glad this one is to your liking despite previous feelings

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lori
    I have to come by and have a look at it then :) Compare notes ;) Talk about Lydia, so crazy

    @Carol
    It sure is :)

    @Ana
    Hey! But yes I do confess that I saw the challenge, laughed a little and signed up. 16, easy! As long as I do not read too many fantasy and UF books and can't count them towards the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds cute!! 'replaces ballgowns with bikinis, country mansions with luxury yachts'....lol.
    have fun with the reading challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a lot of HR books, won't you be needing some variation in your reading diet?

    Glad you liked this Austen spinoff again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh another cute one. I may need to read this one.

    I may try that challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm starting to really look forward to these reviews. :) This one seems like it was fun. Thank you for letting me live through your reviews on these Mr. Darcy books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I passed on this one because I thought it sounded silly..maybe I need to lighten up huh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It definitely sounds cute, though I have to say the sheer number of P&P adaptations overwhelms me haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the cover as it looks very fun and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book screams summer beach read. The great thing about P&P is that it is timeless and infinitely variable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have joined the challenge too! It should be fun.

    I love the cover of this book, but not sure it is for me. Glad you loved it though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Naida
    Lol, Mr Collins at the beach, not a sight I would like to see

    @Aurian
    I know, it was a lot of them. But no worry that is over 4 months. I will also be reading fantasy and UF

    @Melissa
    I haven't participated in one for so long so it will be fun

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Melissa
    I am glad you enjoy them even if I can't tempt you to read them :) But that is what I am here for

    @Staci
    It was silly, but then we all need a bit of silly in our lives sometimes

    @Melissa Sw
    Lol, oh yes and you know there will be more ;) I have one for July, though none for August, the horror

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Jenny
    I like cute :)

    @Steph
    And you could easily read it if you stayed on beach all day :)

    @Vivienne
    It was all thanks to you I joined up. It just looked so fun and summer is great for reading romance

    ReplyDelete
  25. You must check out Jane in June:
    http://www.thebookrat.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mr. Darcy.. hip? How is that possible.

    LOL

    Wow, girly, you do read a lot of JA variations! I think that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Juju :D

    @Missie
    Silly me, I did not even think about that. But then Mr darcy was still so very proper and did not take part in silly things

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh wow! I have to have this book. I'm going to B&N right now to look for it. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for joining the challenge - I hope you reach your goal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Yvonne
    Thanks :) It should be too hard, well if I suddenly doens't decide to read only non-romances ;)

    @Book Chick
    I hope so too :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sorry this wasn't better, but it does sound like something good to read over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Bermuda
    Sometimes you just do not need much. It was simple and nice and that is ok

    ReplyDelete
  33. I haven't seen too many positive reviews, but I'm glad to hear it's silly. That'll make it easier for me to read (I hope). Good luck with your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Anna
    It could have been better but just think of it as silly and you will do better

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP