Thursday 23 June 2011

Review: Shadow's Son - Jon Sprunk + I am being interviewed ->

Series: Shadow Saga 1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 280
Published: 2010

In the holy city of Othir, treachery and corruption lurk at the end of every street, just the place for a freelance assassin with no loyalties and few scruples.

Caim makes his living on the edge of a blade, but when a routine job goes south, he is thrust into the middle of an insidious plot. Pitted against crooked lawmen, rival killers, and sorcery from the Other Side, his only allies are Josephine, the socialite daughter of his last victim, and Kit, a guardian spirit no one else can see. But in this fight for his life, Caim only trusts his knives and his instincts, but they won't be enough when his quest for justice leads him from Othir's hazardous back alleys to its shining corridors of power. To unmask a conspiracy at the heart of the empire, he must claim his birthright as the Shadow's Son . . .

My thoughts:
This was the start to a new fantasy series and I was soon caught up in the intrigues. I even wanted to look at the end, but I managed to keep myself in check. But I tell you, it was hard!

Caim is an assassin. Yes he kills for money and he does not have a problem with it. Up until he saves a young woman who thinks he killed her father. Poor Caim is in the middle of a big plot and everyone is gunning for him. What can I say, I have a weak spot for thieves and assassins in fantasy books. And Caim is a good man when it comes down to it. He is just driven by revenge and he has lived a harsh life. Of course I liked him at once.

Other characters are Josey, the daughter of a murdered nobleman and Caim's friend Kit who no one else can see and who hovers around like a ghost. She was a bit of a comedic relief in a way as they bickered. Then we have the bad guys and I will not say more other than the bad guys are really evil. And I want to go and kick some ass. *gives the bad guys the evil eye*

Intrigues, I liked that. What was going on? Who wanted who dead? And then when I knew the plot, could Josey and Caim get out of it alive? It came to the point where I no longer could put the book down.

It did not end with a cliffhanger but with a nice enough ending and yes with questions. Like the shadows he can command.

Conclusion:
A good solid start to this series. I will read book 2, and I am very glad that I have book 2 ready since I want more. 

Rating:
Recommended

Cover:
Nice, I like hoods, lol 

 -------------------------------------

Simcha over at SFF Chat is celebrating her blogaversary and I am being interviewed :D So come on over and say hello (she got a contest too in another post ;) And she is so nice and has excellent taste in books 



33 comments:

  1. Thanks to you I have discovered so many great fantasy series! I had almost given up on finding anything that I would like as much LoTR.
    Btw, I commented on your interview. It was great to read more about you.

    P.S This is completely unrelated, but I wanted to ask you if you have read The Game of Thrones and if you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna :)


    @Misha
    I can't remember how much I read. Perhaps I stopped at book 2. Reasons, well he killed so many and suddenly I had no one to root for. Should go back and pick a new person to like. I mostly disliked the lot. But the big reason was that I hated Daenyrys. It started with how she turned her rape to enjoyment and took control. That was just gross. And something else she late did. I guess there are just some characters I do not want to read about. But people do like the books but for me, nope not my kind of epic fantasy. He slaughters too many.

    Yay that I made you discover more :D ps. Read Wheel of time, and the Death gate cycle my Margaret Weis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read much fantasy, but I'm a sucker for a thief/assassin type hero too so this is definitely intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite like assassin books as well - have you read the Brent Weeks Shadow trilogy? I think assassins know the cost of human life more which makes them interesting characters to read about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great start to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love thieves and assassins too. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *makes mental note about the hoods*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course assassins are good people. Who would question that? ;)

    Sounds like a fun new series. Glad you discovered it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I've been drooling over this series since Melissa (My World) has been showing them. I personally love the cover and I'm SO glad that it doesn't end in a cliffhanger. Questions I can have as long as there is a good chance they will be answered later. Yep.. .need this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Assassins are very nice in fantasy books AND in Martin's books there are plenty of them. I am in two minds about that series though - although I would love to know what will happen to Arya, my all time favourite, there are also some characters which I simply abhor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. got this book on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. *waves* Hi, B! :) Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview!And love the book cover;p

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jenny
    Dunno what it is about them, I mean they really should be bad guys but hey I love them

    @Mel
    Yes I have :D I liked them a lot! Though they were so dark so I had to put it down every 100 pages or so. True, those are the bes

    @Jenny
    It was fun for sure

    @Alyssa
    Thanks!
    They do make good books

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Chris
    Lol

    @Missie
    My thoughts exactly ;)
    Someone said it followed the good old formula and hey I love that

    @Melissa
    I have seen that she is reading book 2 at the moment, now I really want to start book 2 also. Yes no cliff at all, very lovely since I abhor cliffhangers. I am not good with waiting

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Ana
    Ugh, I know! It's very seldom I put down a book just because I hate a character but I just had to with those books. If I ever started them again I would go in and find a new champion

    @Cherry
    I hope you get to read it

    Thanks Janna!

    @darlyn
    It is good :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one sounds pretty good...did it remind you at all of Hobb's The Assassin's Apprentice by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful! :) So glad you liked it. :) Now I feel better about pushing the book. lol. And can't wait to see what you think of Shadows Lure. I was soo into it, but had to stop to read another book for a chat with friends. But CAN"T WAIT to get back into it. ;) And I think there will be answers to the shadows there for ya! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for you for not peeking at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A weak spot for thieves and assassins, eh? I hope not in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You do find some amazing books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like it's very hard to put the book down! ;) Great review. I really want to try the genre fantasy again. I may try this series. ;) I will wait and see if you love the sequal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Staci
    No not really. They different feels to them so nothing alike :) Oh Fitz *hugs him in her mind*

    @melissa
    Shadows!! Omg, I am so very curious! It is on my list not this week but the next or something. So soon I hope to read and discuss it. And a perfect push, I like this kind of fantasy. Nice and old school

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Patti
    It was hard I tell you

    @Yvonne
    Thanks!

    @Steph
    Haha, no not in real life. I would run the other way if I met one

    @Vivienne
    Lol, I try my best and blame it all on the blogging world

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Nina
    I do hope you try fantasy again since I absolutely love love love yes love the genre :D I hope to read and review book 2 soon so stay tuned

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like a great fantasy series. And nice interview! 'The Life of Daydreaming Booklover' suits you well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You always get me so excited over book I would have never even glimpsed at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Naida
    Thank you :D Aye I do think the name suits me

    Liz
    Yay, I am glad I manage that

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP