Tuesday 21 June 2011

Review: Destiny's Star - Beth Vaughan

Series: Star 3
Genre: Fantasy romance
Pages: 336
Published: UK Gollancz June 2011

Bethral, a beautiful warrior, and Ezren, a quick-witted storyteller, are confronted with a civil war and a tribe or warriors with their own code of honor and their own rules of pleasure and partnership. To stay alive they must learn new customs, confront their enemies, and conceal Ezren's fiery power.

My thoughts:
This is book 3 but you can read it as a standalone novel. I read book 2 two years ago and I had forgotten some things but thanks to the book I was soon up to speed on things. Because each of these books are about a new woman. I actually read book 2 first, then book 1 and then this one (you know how it is.) Also to be noted is that yes this is the series by Elizabeth Vaughan but she is published as Beth Vaughan in the UK.

Bethral is in love with Ezren and he is on love with her. But neither thinks they stand a chance and therefore they do not make a move. Bethral is your typical warrior woman, strong, tough and she can take on any man. Ezren is a storyteller, not a warrior. They are in a way like night and day. He thinks she pities him, and she thinks he wants someone soft. Oh people in love are fools. 

Magic brings them to the land of Bethral's mother. The books known from Vaughan's War series. And they also tie in to those books since the civil war no going on got started in the War books. I do like this land of nomadic warriors because it is just so weird. Like how men and women need to have 5 babies each before they can commit to anyone and they are also very free in their sexual life. She has done well with creating this rich world and as two strangers with very different ideas they are certainly out of place.

The book is also about adventure as they try to find a way back home and escape those who want to kill Ezren for the magic he holds. They meet new friends, learn about a new culture and since this is about romance too they fall in love.

Conclusion:
A good fantasy romance. There is love, magic, action and a strange new land in this conclusion to a great series.

Rating:
Nice

Cover:
Meh


25 comments:

  1. Cover is a total meh, the rest...I am not sure how much romance I can tollerate in a book. Sometimes it is more, sometimes it is less. Well, maybe - colour me uncertain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, people in love are damn fools! It must be a refreshing change of pace to read about a leading male who is not a warrior.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A warrior woman and a storyteller - sounds interesting! Like Missie said, it must be refreshing that for a change, it's the woman who is the warrior.
    Agree about the cover - so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great adventure...and a warrior woman - very cool!

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review again Blodeuedd, still not sure about the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pst pst Blodeuedd, visit my blog tomorrow, you might find a post of some interest! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ana
    I know, sadly very meh :(
    Lol, it is a very romantic journey...towards the end. Cos those two are so thick-headed

    Tomorrow? Oh, you are so evil for making me so curious! What is going on *hundreds of ideas swimming in my mind*

    @Missie
    I did like that the roles were somewhat reversed. Cos he could not fit, lol, they even laughed when he rode a horse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Misha
    I agree. It was fun to see that for once. She was no pretty little princess in need of rescue. She actually rescued him.

    @YA Queen
    Hi :)
    I do like it, must be all that Xena I watched when younger (liked Ares ;)

    @Aurian
    I will convince you one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good fantasy romance. Maybe I will read this series one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this series before bit it sounds good. I like books about about women warriors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every woman needs her own storyteller! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh because of Has' never-ending bookpushing I bought Warprize a while back. I really should start it. I love fantasy romance.

    And I agree about the meh cover. And why did they change her name? Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good review but I'm not sure fantasy romance with warrior woman is my thing lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. People in love are such fools! You're right. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love strong women! I like the idea of a warrior woman! You should change the cover. ;) Oh and I have no idea what it is like to read out of order... *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  16. But you read them in order, so all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 5 babies each before they can commit?! Yikes. Commitment before babies sounds healthier to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that though it's part of a series it can stand alone - not enough books are like that! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantasy and romance - what more can a girl ask!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Jenny
    I hope you will

    @Simcha
    I like those two. It's nice to see strong women that feels human too

    @Mel
    Lol, that I can agree with

    @Susi
    Ohhh I really fell for Warprize. Who would not fall for a hunky barbarian.
    Yes I do not know o_O Weird

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Teddy
    It's not for everyone

    @Dana
    I know, ack fools in love! But they realize things later

    @Melissa
    *coughs* Yes it was a very very momentarily collapse from my part. I shall never ever happen again *coughs*

    @Chris
    Yeees...I sure did *bites lip*

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Carrie
    Thanks!

    @Steph
    Yes! Crazy but that was the fun part. Oh and the just left the babies at a nursing camp too. freaky world. So they had babies with left and right with everyone

    @Melissa
    I like that too since I tend to read out of order ;)

    @Mystica
    I know :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantasy and romance together...could be good!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP