Sunday 5 June 2011

Review: Belladonna in Hollywood - Alex Severin

Series: Vampire Vintage1
Genre: Paranormal romance
Pages: Ebook
Published: March 2011
Review by Lis

Belladonna knew her life was about to get even worse the day she had to throw Rosie off the Hollywood sign. What she sought was Golden Age glamor, fame, flashbulbs, and the man who played Dracula. What she got was Hollywood's underbelly – drugs, degenerates, phoneys, and a vampire with one hell of an attitude.

Blood, Revenge, Gangsters, Vampires, Bela Lugosi & Guns.

----------------------------

Well this sure was something different. When the book first came to me, I was intrigued – not because this  was a vampire book as there are so many of them – but because it noir/vintage. Outside of Josh Lanyon I’d never read anything like this. To say the least this book was good. I haven’t become an instant fan of noir or vintage, but this book is a rare gem. How so you ask? Well, sit back, relax and let me tell you!

This story is set in Hollywood in the time of Bela Lugosi and Clara Bow. The golden age. Belladonna is one of the many girls who dream of a life in the spotlights of Hollywood. So she trades her small country life for fame and fortune as an actress. Preferably with Bela Lugosi. It doesn’t take her long to find out that’s she not the only one and it’s not all that easy. So her dreams are gone and she’s feeling down.  Enter Vivant. The vampire. The I-love-him-but-hate-him sorta hero of this story. He’s certainly no knight – ‘scuse me vampire – in shining armour, set to save the damsel in distress. He does, however has a certain charm to him that makes you not hate him in sight and clench your fists in anger whenever he crosses the pages. While Belladonna possesses a certain naiveté and sweetness about her, Vivant is arrogant and egotistical. Though both possess talent.

What I loved about this book is not only did this author do her research on the era, she also enters many details in this book that make the story ‘real’ – in so much as that’s possible with vampires. I suspect that this author is a fan of the era. She also doesn’t hesitate to show the seedy side of Hollywood.

Alex Severin spins a vibrant tale of love, hate, fame and fortune, jealousy and revenge. She certainly knows how to pull a reader into a story and keep them there. While the writing itself is neither bad not exceptional, it’s the story itself that is the gem of this book.

Be warned, this book doesn’t have a Happily Ever After, but a Happy For Now, which I found a nice change of pace and completely fitting for the story.

If you are looking for something different from your ever present urban fantasy/paranormal romance vampire stories then Belladonna in Hollywood is certainly the book to pick up!




27 comments:

  1. this looks like fun!! love that era in history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I found your blog on goodreads! Great review by the way, I've never heard of this author but I'm now intrigued :-D

    Leanne @ http://magicofreading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. I like the era in history, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I totally love the sound of this. Vampire novels either takes place in the present time or the 19th century, but the Golden Age? Vontage/noir? Hell yeah! Going on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lis,

    Thank you so much for your wondeful review! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    I'd love to know what you all think if you pick up my book. I love reader feedback and all comments and crits are very much appreciated.

    Thank you!

    ~ Alex Severin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would like this one very much indeed. Thanks for a great review Lis, you are an incredible reviewer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always looking for something different that delivers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks cool. i like the time period it is set in. must read for me ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a nice change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Carrie
    I have sure not read a lot from the era

    Hi there Leanne :D I am glad you found my little blog

    @Yvonne
    I do like it too

    @Irena
    Very different. I do like when authors mix things up

    Thanks for stopping by Alex :)

    @Ana
    I wonder what you would think of it

    @Staci
    And that is what I am here for, lol, well I and Lis

    @VV
    Such a cool period

    @Chris
    Even without any m/m action? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think there should be more books set in the 'seedy side of Hollywood' because its such a cool/dark part of history!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I think I would like this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I don't think I've ever read anything like this either. Sounds really neat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I'm loving that it's different, of course. I'll have to read more into it. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book has a lot going for it. I am intrigued by the character names alone, Belladona, Vivant, but the clincher is the fabulous time period.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi all!

    I'm always on the lookout for reviews, so if any Book Bloggers / Reviewers would like a free copy for possible review, just drop me an e-mail -

    alexREMOVE@alexseverin.com

    and let me know which site you review for and I'll fix you up with an ebook.

    Thanks for your interest! I look forward to hearing what you think.

    ~ Alex Severin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not my genre though I did like the post and the comments are also so marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That first paragraph had me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seems like a different kind of vampire book, especially the setting! I am ashamed to say that the first time I heard of Bela Lugosi was while watching the movie, Ed Wood (which is a fabulous movie!).

    ReplyDelete
  20. This books sounds really fun. And although I secretly prefer a HEA I still like different sort of endings that add a little spice. Happy for now works!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Amused
    I agree with you on that one :)

    @Melissa
    :)

    @Melissa my world
    Neither have I, but at least there is a review of one on my blog now

    @Melissa Swim
    Wow all three after each other, what are the odds.
    And yes different can be good

    @Steph
    They are sure different but cool

    @Mystica
    Btw I hope you are not having comment problems here. I saw your post. I am glad that I have not come across it yet, well except for on one blog

    @Vivienne
    Just like it should be

    @Misha
    I do think that might have been my first time too so i can hide in shame with you

    @Mishel
    Secretly? I will shout if I do not get a HEA, lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another book for my wishlist, you have got to stop doing that Blodeuedd!. Or I should stop reading blogs perhaps, and read some books instead to decrease my TBR mountain range of books ...

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Aurian
    Lol, well this one was not my fault since it was not I who read it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This does sound different! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, I need to get ahold of this one. Looks like the Kindle version's cheap too. Ordering it now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Carol
    I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP