Wednesday 15 June 2011

Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N.K. Jemisin

Series: The Inheritance trilogy #1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 398
Published: 2010

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history. With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, Yeine will learn how perilous it can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably together.


My thoughts:
This will again be a hard book to review. Why is it that the good ones are always the hardest ones to review?

There was just something about this book. At times I felt like I should be confused by the writing, by the characters or by how it was narrated, but I never was. I was swept away in a dream and experienced this book as the tale it was. It is being narrated by Yeine as she looks back on what has happened and it just feels so good. The writing is flawless and the tone is just right for this kind of book. It is also different on other levels as I usually go for epic quest kind of fantasy. This one takes place during a short period of time. There are a lot of questions regarding her mother’s death and why she left her place as heir to the throne, questions about the Gods that are imprisoned and used as toys for the high and mighty, and questions about why Yeine is there. Politics, love and mysteries is what this book is about.

The book is a part of a trilogy but there is an ending in this book as the next book will be about someone else. I did wonder how there could be an ending as everything pointed to her death. There are two cousins who want the throne, her grandfather does not like her and she spends time with the Enefadeh. That is the Gods who are slaves. You just have to read and find out.

The world, I wanted more. And what I liked the most was the Gods. One rules now after he killed his sister and made the rest slaves to the ruling king. It was horrible. They who once were mighty now have to do everything they are told. And some people are not nice at all. I felt sorry for them; even though I knew they were deadly. Fascinating tale of the gods. 

 I realized that did no even talk that much about the characters because I was so in love with it all. But I should not forget the cast, Yeine who was so strong and would not back down. And the Gods, like the Nightlord, oh he was dark, horrible and wonderful and the same time. Sieh, the god who is a child, the trickster who was so fun and many more that made the book what it is.

C
onclusion:
There you have it. A great fantasy story that was not like any I have read before. In this world of plenty she delivers a fresh story. I highly recommend it and I will certainly read more by this wonderful author. I could not put the book down and I had to keep on reading. 

Rating: 
Go and read it 

Cover:
Ok 

30 comments:

  1. I loved this book too. I know what you mean by the dream-like quality of teh writing. It was like reading a fairy tale!

    I have the sequel The Broken Kingdom in my TBR pile - I ran out to get it the moment it was released but not read it yet. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book to me Blodeuedd, I guess it is time for some new fantasy authors on my TBR mountain range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read only rave reviews of this book and since I am starting to get into epic fantasy, I might move onto this one next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have the hardest time writing the reviews for books I adored as well. It's difficult to find the words to do them justice sometimes! This sounds like a wonderful series though, it's new to me so I'm glad I read this review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so true that the really enjoyable books can be so hard to review! I love the cover of this one and on your recommendation, I've added it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh this does sound good. I love the title.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree it's harder to write about the ones you love - but I have no idea why! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous cover and a great premise! I need to get my hands on the book. I have not read a good fantasy novel since a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mel
    I am glad I was not the only one feeling that. It was just so hard to describe the feeling you got when you read this book.

    Oh please read it soon and tell me if it is good :D

    @Aurian
    Yes do read some more fantasy and new authors. I promise it will be good

    @Steph
    Yay, I do hope you will enjoy it. it was so different in a good way.

    @Jenny
    It is just so hard. The words do not want to come to me, and it is not cos I write in another language. They do not come to me in Swedish either. Some books are just so good that I can't express it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Audra
    You know I have looked at that cover SO many times and first now I saw that there is a face behind the castle/town o_O Lol

    @Vivienne
    Everything about it as just superb.

    @Alyssa
    Thanks! :D I am glad to hear that. I just want everyone to know how good it was

    @Misha
    You haven't? Then you really need one. A good fantasy novel now and then is a must

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh a lovely fantasy series - I do want it!!! Fabulous review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm glad. I have this book on my tbr and I really need to find time to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like how you mention that it is a fresh story. perhaps i'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Ana
    I hope you get to read it :)
    Aww fantasy, I love it

    @Melissa
    You do?! Then put it higher up on your TBR pile :D

    @VV
    I hope you do :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeine sounds like one tough chick plus I always love a good fantasy series. I will have to add this to my reading list as everything about the story sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, the best books are the hardest to review. This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do like that castle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds really unique! i'm glad you liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good, but I'm not really into fantasy very much. You did a good job at reviewing it though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. AaaAaa, I read and enjoyed this book as well. I even have the second book here to read, and I want to read it. But you know how this reviewing stuff goes. ;)

    I have to say I loved the gods and all in this book. Very cool. And neat world created. :) So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't read enough straight fantasy because it's hard to come by. This one sounds awesome. Fab review :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've noticed that too. Some books are so hard to review. Great review! Sounded like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Jenny
    I do hope you get to read it because it was just great, and the Gods, yes they fascinated me the most.

    @Naida
    So very hard, but I try my best.

    @Chris
    I'd live there ;)

    @Carrie
    It was very unique and I am glad too, lol, nothing makes me happier

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Yvonne
    Thanks! I am glad to hear that you think so,even if the book is not for you

    @Melissa World
    Oh yes I do know. Books I really want to read can sit there on a shelf for a long time before I pick them up by a whim. But I do hope you read the 2nd book soon and review it ;)

    @Melissa Swim
    I know, dunno why but it just is. Especially here. I am so glad I can order online

    @Carol
    It's a really good book :D The good ones are the hardest

    ReplyDelete
  25. They are always the hardest because greatness it hard to articulate

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like an epic read and one that I am seriously considering!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Staci
    Do read it :D And the best thing is that you can read book 1 and then be done

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm reading this one now, though I admit by this time tomorrow, I may instead be devouring A Dance with Dragons... but maybe this one will suck me in enough to keep me till the end!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Arti
    Lol, well if you have a book you really really really want to read it is hard to concentrate on another book

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP