Sunday 22 May 2011

Review: Green Rider - Kristen Britain

Series: Green Rider 1
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 592
Published: April 2011 Gollancz (re-print)

On her journey home from school after a fight, Karigan G'ladheon ponders her future as she trudges through the immense forest called Green Cloak. But her thoughts are interrupted by the clattering of hooves as a galloping horse bursts from the woods, the rider slumped over his mount's neck, impaled by two black-shafted arrows. As the young man lies dying on the road, he tells Karigan that he is a Green Rider, one of the legendary messengers of the king, and that he bears a "life and death" message for King Zachary. He begs Karigan to carry his message, warning her not to read it, and with his dying breath he whispers, "Beware the shadow man..."  Karigan's promise changes her life forever. Pursued by unknown assassins and following a path only her horse seems to know. Caught up in a world of deadly danger and complex magic, compelled by forces she cannot understand, Karigan is hounded by dark beings bent on seeing that the message, and its reluctant carrier, never reach their destination.

My thoughts:
This is the beginning of a fantasy series with Riders who uses long lost magic and a kingdom on the brink of war. A good start is what I would say.

Karigan was a brave young woman who left her school cos she fought an aristocrat and she was only a merchant daughter. Not fair at all. When she then met the Rider she could have said no (of course the magic urged her on), but she wanted to do what was right and she also wanted an adventure. And that she sure got because on her journey she met funny old ladies, monsters, bandits, and saw the how angry the people in the north are. I liked her because even though it got tough she never gave up. Then we have the evil guys. The king’s brother wants the throne and the Grey Man uses magic to make people do his will. He is an evil killer and he has also made a crack in a wall that separates the badlands from the rest of the world. I liked the Grey Man, as much as one can like an evil guy. He was just a good bad guy. All evil and nothing at all to like about him.

The kingdom has lost its magic. There are still some magic left and the Green Riders uses some of it. I always do like when magic is lost and found again. And these Riders risk everything and still they are only seen as messengers, but they have a calling that they follow.

I have to say that there is a hint about romance. I truly mean a hint, one flutter in her heart, but I have hope for more in coming books.

Conclusion:
A good start with likable heroine who says what she wants to say. There is adventure, wild rides, magic and a race to save a kingdom. I will read more to see what happens next and I do like a fantasy series with a fantasy heroine  that feels down to earth. Not too tough, not soft,  but still willing to do what is right.

I recommend this series to fantasy readers.

Rating:
Enjoyable

Cover:
Pretty but still meh

Source: Publisher

27 comments:

  1. This sounds like it could be a good series. I have to say though that I love that cover. It's so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover doesn't draw me in, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about buying this book for a while...it looks like fun and a couple of my favourite boggers have given it a thumbs up - including you! So I may pick it up soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad but the cover art doesn't appeal to me at all. The series might be nice so I will try to get it! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of this before and it sounds very good! I have to put this on my wishlist.
    I like the cover, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *waves* Hi B, hope all is well with you! Must be when you're able to read a book with nearly 600 pages. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darlene
    It is pretty, just oh I do not know. Perhaps it just looks so pretty

    Chris
    It looks more like a book about horses

    Mel
    I hope that you enjoy it if you decide to get it :D It sure had a lot of adventure

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana
    It's just too..well a horse and that's it. Is the book about a horse, not really. Perhaps too sweet..though very stunning

    Elysium
    It's been out for a while but it has been republished now

    Janna
    All is well. And I did have time for one LONG book, but it took some time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I like it when you have a hint at romance, but it is saved for the later books. Sounds good!

    I like the cover art as far as the drawing is excellent, but it looks like cropping destroyed the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does sound like a good fantasy series. I don't read much in this genre, but I do enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I remember starting this book once but I don't know why I didn't finish. It does sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard a lot of people talk about this series and enjoy it. I've thought about trying out some day. :) Thanks for the review and reminding me of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this one ages ago and loved it. In fact, I still have it in my library!!!!!!!!!!! And my cover is way better than the one you posted...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I love fantasy novels that have good heroines, and liberal doses of humor, too! I'll keep my eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always like a little romance in everything I read so good to hear that there might be some in future books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been eyeing this one up - I love the blurb...

    Definitely getting this one...

    Love the cover myself....

    ..E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fantasy series with a likable heroine, lots of adventure and magic sounds like my cup of tea. I don't even mind the lack of romance.
    The cover is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melissa
    I do wonder if that hint will become something :D I am reading book 2 this week so we will see if anything happens there. Exciting!

    Naida
    And I love it. I wish I could read more but it has always been easier finding other genres

    Simcha
    Hm, can't help you there. Perhaps you thought the journey was too long? But then if you gave up early..

    Melissa
    Gotta spread the word :D I do like when books are published again so I hear about them

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Staci
    Yay, I am glad you liked it :D I have seen the other cover. I actually printed the art once cos it was so pretty

    @Aarti
    And even if she does discovers abilities I felt like I could connect with her. Cos she wasn't a total bad ass. So I liked that

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Jenny
    I will keep you posted as I hope to review book 2 this weekend :D

    @EH
    I hope you like it too. I have read too few fantasy books with female heroines. I am always reading the male ones

    @Misha
    I do not mind it either, since I read fantasy for fantasy and romance doesn't have to be there at all..of course if it is hihi then I like it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sold! I'm adding this one to the tbr, becuase I love the sound of it. Thanks Blodeudd :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Jenny
    I am glad you like the sound of it :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmm....only the barest hint of romance?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Steph
    It is fantasy after all, and not much romance there. It's not needed since there is so much else

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like an interesting read. And I like the cover thanks to the horse but I agree, other than that its still meh.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Paper
    (should I call you paper these days?)
    Indeed pretty but meh, a shame really

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wonder why they changed the cover - the original was far more interesting. It's nice to see this book reprinted, however, as it's got a great, original story!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP