Thursday 26 February 2015

A darker shade of magic - V.E.Schwab

Kell is one of the last Travelers—rare magicians who choose a parallel universe to visit. 

Grey London is dirty, boring, lacks magic, ruled by mad King George. Red London is where life and magic are revered, and the Maresh Dynasty presides over a flourishing empire. White London is ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. People fight to control magic, and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. Once there was Black London - but no one speaks of that now.

Officially, Kell is the Red Traveler, personal ambassador and adopted Prince of Red London, carrying the monthly correspondences between royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell smuggles for those willing to pay for even a glimpse of a world they’ll never see. This dangerous hobby sets him up for accidental treason. Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs afoul of Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a dangerous enemy, then forces him to another world for her 'proper adventure'.

But perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, Kell and Lila will first need to stay alive — trickier than they hoped. 

My thoughts:
Now this was an interesting world. There are 4 worlds and people can travel between them...well they could, now only a few can.

All those worlds are different from each other but there is one fixed thing. 4 cities, all named London, all in the same place. Though the country they are in change; smaller, bigger, called other things. But London on the Thames is there and a capital.

The main character, Kell can travel between worlds because of what he is. He has named the worlds too. They all have their faults and their good points. I could not say which London I'd like the best. Maybe red, or ours (even if ours was the boring magicless one).

So yes the world was obviously great. I really liked it and I would love to explore it more, but then more books are coming so yay for that.

I liked Kell too, the girl he meets...eh, I mean yes she was nice to read about just, she was not nice ;)

I just checked on the next book, 2016, that is ages away! Sad panda.

I realised I have said nothing about the actual story..right, so he gets in trouble, he helps a girl, let the adventure begin.

Conclusion:
Interesting world, interesting characters, a good adventure. I look forward to more of this world.

Cover
ok

Paperback, 400 pages
Expected publication: February 27th 2015 by Titan Books
A Darker Shade of Magic #1
Fantasy
Own

42 comments:

  1. Oh good! I haven't seen very many reviews for this one yet so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it overall. Looking forward to picking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I love when the world sucks you in, because it is written so well and it is just an interesting place to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked her book Vicious, so I'll definitely have to read this one.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good. Sounds cool that he can travel between the worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be interested to see how the four Londons differ between worlds. Sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were different, in interesting ways...

      Delete
  6. This is one of the books i want to read. glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does sound like great world building

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, made the wrong comment!

    Was it easy to understand the travelling part? Also I've beenseeing this author around. Curious if I will get along with her books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got to read the preview for book bloggers and I absolutely loved it! I can't to get it and read the full thing... The hardback cover is way better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool :D
      I do hope you like it when you read the whole book

      Delete
  11. Oh that's a different world. Love finding those. That is very sad about 2016. Goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is new to me. And sounds really good. I like the idea here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, this is really good - but meh! 2016 is SOOOO far away, right? :) I think I'll put it on my list, but wait a while, so I won't have to chew on my nails while waiting for the sequel. Logic! :P Another lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo far away, along with a bunch of other books I want that comes out then.

      Logic is awesome

      Delete
  15. It makes me think of a Charles Stross series I'm reading but it's 3 worlds

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a good read. I like the world buildling, but 2016 is a long time to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like something I would like, but 2016 it's too far away. I guess I should wait until more books are out to start this series.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like the tv series Fringe I used to watch, and then it got too weird and I stopped lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you enjoyed the worlds in this one - they do sound fascinating. I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so liked Red the best from the sample. I wasn't sure if I liked Lila either, but Kell was cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red was nice, still I'd take out boring world, red was to close to white

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP