Friday 20 February 2015

Romance Friday: Dukes to the left of me, princes to the right and Carolina Home

Most women would not be pleased to be labeled a spinster. But Lady Poppy Smith-Barnes isn’t most women. In fact, Poppy has invented an imaginary fiancé, the Duke of Drummond, to deter unwanted suitors. A very useful fellow, this duke, until the real Drummond turns up and uses Poppy’s ploy to trap her in a betrothal.

A good spy flies below the radar. Which is why being named one of the Prince Regent’s “Impossible Bachelors” is so inconvenient for Nicholas Staunton. Every society female will be out to ensnare him. Nicholas needs a fiancée—and Poppy’s ruse is the answer. How could he have known she’d be a brazen, sensual siren with an irresistible taste for adventure? Now nothing less will do than to convince his fiery Poppy to revoke her spinster status…for good. 

My thoughts:
The first 100 pages were the best, those had me giggling. Later on it was also good, just not as funny. It started to take itself too seriously then. I have never really been overly fond of historical spy novels, sure I can enjoy them but they always feel too fake.

Poppy is a spinster and is so old as 21, omg, horrid (and here I just got used to older heroines where that seems more normal.) Anyway, Poppy wants to marry only for true love and she is in love with a Russian prince.

Nicholas is a spy for the crown and gets told to marry Poppy so he sets his course. And falls for her because she is impossible and wants nothing to do with him. I guess he likes a challenge.

They fight the attraction. But that will not work when they want each other. Of course she wants her prince, and Nicholas tries to avoid a certain princess. Btw, I wanted to wring that bitch's neck at the end. NOT COOL! Ugh, I hate women like that.

Oh the spying, yes it's about a painting and Poppy wants to spy too. Honestly I could have done without the spying. But it was not bad.

Conclusion:
Cute and fun.

Cover
Good

Paperback, 416 pages
Published November 30th 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks
Impossible Bachelors #2
Historical romance
Own


Home to the Fletcher family for generations, Dare Island is a fishing village rocked by changing times--its traditions slipping away like sands of the North Carolina coast. Single dad and fishing boat captain Matt Fletcher deferred his own dreams to support his innkeeper parents and build a future for his sixteen-year-old son. Matt has learned to weather life's storms by steering a steady emotional course...and keeping a commitment-free approach to love.

Newcomer Allison Carter came to Dare Island to escape the emotional demands of her wealthy family. The young teacher aims to build a life here, to make a lasting place for herself. She doesn't want to be another Woman Who Once Dated Matt Fletcher. It's both tempting and dangerous to believe she can be something more.

Then Matt's brother Luke makes a sudden return home, with a child of his own--and a request that will change all their lives. With a child's welfare at stake, Matt must turn to Allison to teach him to let go of the past, open his eyes...and follow his heart. 

My thoughts:
A bit of drama, two people falling in love, and a small town. Concepts I enjoy.

Matt is a fisherman, Allison is the new teacher. She was actually closer to his son's age than him btw ;) Ok that did not matter bit still. Moving on...

She is rich, but trying to find her way. He is a single dad. She teacher's his son's class. He never dates anyone for long.

But we all know they will fall for each other. She is hot, he is hot, it's a small island. She wants meaning in life, he does not know this is what he needs.

The drama is the niece that suddenly shows up, and the tiny tiny tiny should we should we not...and they quickly decided they should so they did.

Conclusion:
A nice romance. 

Cover
meh

Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published July 3rd 2012 by Berkley
Dare Island #1
Contemporary romance
Own

41 comments:

  1. Why are the guys always shirtless on covers of historical romance novels? I cringe on the 21yo spinster label. Shit! I'm a turtle then!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of the first one even if it does start to loose some of it's humor along the way. Sounds like their relationship is a bit antagonistic to start with the way they fight their attraction, and I always enjoy that kind of setup:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does "love" that other guy, and the hero, well he is just doing his job :) Fun times

      Delete
  3. LOL,that tittle has me singing a popular pop song. I tend to like spy/suspense angle in the plot so you have me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of the first one. I don't mind the spy angle unless it leads to a kidnapping, which seems to be fairly inevitable for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can read about spies, I just...well they could find a better spy than her

      Delete
  5. I like the Dare ISland series. It's kind of sweet, low level angst romance.

    Why do all the funny HR's seem to lose steam near the end? The drama takes over and all the cuteness evaporates.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Keep the cute, less drama, I want some more humour and fun

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It's always so silly, I can get him being a spy, but then she wants to tag along and I am just no

      Delete
  7. I love the title of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both sound like fun, but the historical speaks to me. I think I want something just slightly absurd. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. image of you wanting to "wring that bitch's neck" had me snort/laughing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get so mad at characters some times ;)

      Delete
  10. Ah, I love the title of the first book, I assume it's a Steeler's Wheel song lyric reference. Now I have the song in my head. "Dukes to the left of me, princes to the right...here I am, stuck in the middle with you!" Ha! Pardon me, just me being silly.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that makes sense. And she is engaged to a duke and in love to a prince, guess they author made it so ;)

      Delete
  11. Oh it's nice to have spy in historical romances, I always love that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like shirts on the historical cover guys. I mean, was there a day spa that offered chest waxing for the men of the ton back then? Or is that something a valet would do, ha.
    I liked Carolina Home. Need to read the next one in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Totally! More chest hair, or more shirts. Pick one please

      Delete
  13. 1) I am lame and I like when their are spies...but it has to be done right like Willig's novels.
    2) A rich teacher? What? Never heard of such a thing lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who I still have not tried

      Well she was rich BEFORE she became one

      Delete
  14. Dukes to the left of me, princes to the right sounds fun.
    Historical spy novels can be cute when done well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the sound of the first one. Spinster at 21...! Gasp. She was practically ancient, poor girl. Excellent reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed that one by Kantra. I'm listening to the rest of the series and loving it.

    Kramer is a fave of mine but haven't read that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it, but liked it enough.hm, maybe not

      Delete
  17. LOL! always nice to have a beard like a duke to keep away those unwanted suitors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure about this one. I like that the HR was funny, but only first 100 pages... so I don't know.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP