Wednesday 11 February 2015

Shades of Milk and Honey - Mary Robinette Kowal

Shades of Milk and Honey is an intimate portrait of Jane Ellsworth, a woman ahead of her time in a world where the manipulation of glamour is considered an essential skill for a lady of quality. But despite the prevalence of magic in everyday life, other aspects of Dorchester’s society are not that different: Jane and her sister Melody’s lives still revolve around vying for the attentions of eligible men.


Jane resists this fate, and rightly so: while her skill with glamour is remarkable, it is her sister who is fair of face, and therefore wins the lion’s share of the attention. At the ripe old age of twenty-eight, Jane has resigned herself to being invisible forever. But when her family’s honor is threatened, she finds that she must push her skills to the limit in order to set things right--and, in the process, accidentally wanders into a love story of her own.

My thoughts;
Ok so here I go, it was good, but I expected more. Dang you expectations! *shakes fist* I could, I would have enjoyed it more if I had not constantly thought, it could be better...

Which is wrong to think cos it was a perfectly enjoyable book. Jane and her horrible sister Melody (I hated her, she was a sulking bitch) want to find men. But Jane is plain, Melody is pretty. And tadaa there are new neighbors, eligible men.

So yes this is written in the Austen way. It's not a re-telling since all her books are thrown in in a way.

I did have some issues though with the world building. Had there always been "magic"? Does other countries have magic? Is there only glamour and illusions? Why not other things? Why do only bored women who want to catch a man use it? I did want more answers about this part. I think the book would have been fine without it now when it was just a plothole.

Conclusion:
But, life goes on. There will be hearts broken, hearts mended. Drama and a ball. I did enjoy the book. I guess it was just a bit more ordinary than I would have expected.

Cover
Pretty

Paperback, 320 pages
Published 2013 by Tor Books (first published July 26th 2010)
Glamourist Histories #1
Historical romantic fiction paranormal
Own


43 comments:

  1. LOL, darn expectations. It sounds kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when books don't meet my expectations... those evil expectations... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you enjoyed it, I say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard when you expect one thing and get something else. At least it was still good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was that, it just...could have been more

      Delete
  5. My friend this one and she thought it was ok. Probably won't pick it. Plenty of other books I'm more excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that is a bummer. Expetations and reality are frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun book as long as you ignore certain glaring holes in the worldbuilding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The premise sounds good. I know what you mean about those darned expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm it sounds interesting enough and your questions have me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read the second book, Glamour in Glass. I've always meant to go back to this one, but still haven't found the time. I have to say, I like this cover so much better than the one I've seen.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen that other girl, not good at all. While this one is so pretty

      Delete
  11. sorry to see you wanted more. I was quite curious about this one because so gorgeous cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover is really nice but if you had issues I would have a DNF ;P.

    ReplyDelete
  13. expectations haha but it sounds like a pretty good start for 1st book in the series. I am in love with that cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds interesting this meld of magic and history. Plus, the Austen-esque style... But since you were disappointed... Dunno what to do now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the premise, Austen and magic! But she did not truly pull it off

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Not yet, another 10 hour workday before me, le sigh

      Delete
  16. I DNF'd this one. It was a book club read and I just couldn't get into it. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I read on cos it was easy and not long. but issues

      Delete
  17. I hate it when a book doesn't live up to my expectations. I hate being left with questions, especially about the world. People have magic and what do they do, make themselves look pretty to catch a guy. Probably not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was weird, there could have been so much more and it fell kind of short

      Delete
  18. That cover is amazing...sorry it wasn't spectacular but at least it wasn't awful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate it when a book I'm will be great ends up only being MEH. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember reading this review...why did I not comment? I thought I did comment? My BRAIN! *face desk*

    ReplyDelete
  21. They have magc everywhere!I remember reading that the glamourist hero came from the continent :) Anyway, s glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wished it was explored more..and told ;)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP