Sunday 15 November 2015

Carole's Sunday Review: A fistful of evil - Rebecca Chastain


Author: Rebecca Chastain
Title: A Fistful of Evil (Madison Fox, Illuminant Enforcer #1)
Genre: Urban Fiction, Fantasy, YA, & Paranormal
Pages: ebook
First Published: August 2014
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given by an author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


Madison Fox just learned that her ability to see souls is more than a sight: It’s a weapon for fighting evil. The only problem is she doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing. 



On the positive side, her money problems are over, she’s possibly discovered her purpose in life, and her coworker is smoking hot. On the negative side, evil creatures now actively hunt her, and deadly experiences are becoming the norm.



When she thinks it couldn’t get worse, a powerful evil sets up shop at a local hotel’s video game convention, and it’s got its eye on more than the gaming geeks: it is hungry for Madison’s soul. Madison needs to become an expert illuminant enforcer overnight to save her job, her region . . . and her life.



This is the first of the Madison Fox Illumnant Enforcer series. I'm excited to see where the story goes from here. 



Madison has an interesting power, she can see souls of people and things. She randomly finds a job posting and goes for it. Well, it leads her to use her ability to fight pure evil. However...she is a complete newbie and is thrown to protect a whole region. She meets new people and a new world.



I love the whole concept of the book/series. This is an interesting ability she has and it was very refreshing for this genre. I did like Madison. She's not kickass yet, but she is learning and is funny. Honestly, I'm glad she wasn't a "natural" at battle the forces of evil, she has LOTS and LOTS to learn. There is a lot of training still in her future. Yes...she does have her dumb moments which made me roll my eyes, BUT she is a complete newbie in this world and this job. 



Ooooh Niko you hot, hot man. ;) I liked him a lot and I want to learn more about him. But I did like Dr Love the Vet as well. I know, I know - Dr Love is a lame name, but I think its kinda funny and clever. I feel like there is a possibility of a love triangle in the future....BUT I have some suspicious on Dr Love...I hope he's not a baddie, but he seems too perfect hmmmmm. HOWEVER, what I really REALLY liked was that romance was not the center of this story. It wasn't Madison's main goal to find love, yes, she thought Niko and Dr Love were hot, but her main concern was saving her region. Major props to avoid the pitfall of a making the story to loved filled. I hope this remains the same in the second book.



My only issue was the lag that occurred after her first meet with a stronger evil. The lag only lasted about 25 pages, but it picked up again and thank goodness. 



In the end, this was a fun read. It was a refreshing read. Urban fantasies were blending together, but this was a fresh new story with an interesting cast and power. Also, I loved the fact that the romance was there a little bit, but it wasn't the center/core of the story. The lag killed me, but it didn't last too long. However, I am super excited for the second book in the series! I can't wait to see what Madison is up to next. I highly recommend this to those that want to read UF, but want something refreshing and fun. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 4 stars. 













16 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading about a heroine coming into terms with her abilities slowly as the book progressed. I think it makes her a bit more realistic than one with a built-in "badassery", if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I guess I'm over my slump as I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this looks like a promising UF. And I just saw the 2nd book is already out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for more UF - I kind of had a slump there for a while.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks veeery interesting, I'm adding it to my "next" shelf, thanks ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo Carol this sounds good and like you the premise has me curious. Adding to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! I hope you like it as much as me. :)

      Delete
  7. This one's been on my list for a while. The funny heroine with a cool power sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for the review! I'll have to go and buy this one. It's even on sale for $.99

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP