Thursday 19 November 2015

The Goblin Emperor - Katherine Addison

The youngest, half-goblin son of the Emperor has lived his entire life in exile, distant from the Imperial Court and the deadly intrigue that suffuses it. But when his father and three sons in line for the throne are killed in an "accident," he has no choice but to take his place as the only surviving rightful heir.

Entirely unschooled in the art of court politics, he has no friends, no advisors, and the sure knowledge that whoever assassinated his father and brothers could make an attempt on his life at any moment.
Surrounded by sycophants eager to curry favor with the naïve new emperor, and overwhelmed by the burdens of his new life, he can trust nobody. Amid the swirl of plots to depose him, offers of arranged marriages, and the specter of the unknown conspirators who lurk in the shadows, he must quickly adjust to life as the Goblin Emperor. All the while, he is alone, and trying to find even a single friend . . . and hoping for the possibility of romance, yet also vigilant against the unseen enemies that threaten him, lest he lose his throne–or his life. 

My thoughts:
A stand alone, yes that is rare among fantasy these days. I did like that fact.

The elven emperor and his 3 sons dies in an accident (their airshipballon goes down, yes did I mention this was fantasy with steampunk elements. Even if they were few.) The one left standing is Maia, his half goblin son. Let there be drama.

A half goblin to rule over the elves? A boy of only 18? One that has not been to court, not learned the politics or manners. A boy they gossip about since his mother was sent away and his father did not care for him.

This was about politics. If you do not want that in your fantasy then this might not be for you. Maia learns how to navigate the backstabbing court. He learns to rule. And he is a natural, because he is kind, being kind he surprises people. But there are still intrigues. Who killed his family? Will they come for more?

Oh btw how the royal we got stuck in my head. Yes, of course we must speak like this. We are royalty. Anyway, I liked Maia, and I enjoyed this book. It was a fun change. 

Cover
eh

Paperback, 483 pages
Published March 3rd 2015 by Tor Fantasy (first published April 1st 2014)
Fantasy
Own

29 comments:

  1. A goblin King?? That just sounds weird to me lol - but I don't read much fantasy.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goblins are grey, some are big, elves are prettier. That is what I learned, lol

      Delete
  2. i love that they are using goblins in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting premise....buttttttttttt IDK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a half goblin that isn't all grotesque.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stand alone fantasy book with elves and goblins? How can I resist? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the idea of a stand alone every now and then. Series are great, but I don't think authors do enough stand alone novels (outside of horror, which is funny because their movies are extremely long series LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, so true!
      But yes stand alone can be so awesome. Sure I love a good series, but yeah

      Delete
  7. Sounds a great read and I have no objection to political push/pull, makes it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Political intrigue, my cup of tea

    ReplyDelete
  9. The standalone is different, for sure. I like the idea of a half-elf half-goblin and palace intrigue. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember my friend Carien loving this one. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh goblins. I can't say I've read a lot of them in my days. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a book you either love or hate. When I read this one I happened to have been in the right mood, and I really enjoyed it. glad it worked for you too!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh... this one sounds interesting. I actually like politics mixed in with sci-fi and fantasy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP