Wednesday 18 November 2015

The Winter Mantle - Elizabeth Chadwick

Fresh from his defeat of King Harold at the Battle of Hastings, William of Normandy has returned home in triumph, accompanied by the English nobles he cannot trust to leave behind. For Waltheof of Huntington, however, rebellion is not at the forefront of his thoughts. From the moment he catches sight of Judith, daughter of the King’s formidable sister, he knows he has found his future wife.

When Waltheof saves Judith’s life, it is clear that the attraction is mutual. But marriage has little to do with love in medieval Europe. When William refuses to let the couple wed, Waltheof joins forces with his fellow rebels in an uprising against the King. William brutally crushes the rebellion, but realizes that Waltheof cannot be ignored. Marrying him to his niece, he decides, is the perfect way to keep him in check.

But is the match between the Saxon earl and Norman lady made in heaven or hell? As their children grow, Waltheof and Judith must choose between their feelings for each other and older loyalties. At the same time, the reputation of Waltheof’s Norman acquaintance Simon de Senlis continues to flourish. The son of William’s chamberlain, he shares a special bond with Waltheof, who rescued him from being trampled by a horse when he was a squire. Now Simon enjoys the confidence of both the King and the rebel earl. And when tension between the two ignites once more, it is Simon who is set to reap the reward.

My thoughts:
I have read almost all of her books, and I do like how she take characters that makes you want to read more.

In this one we have Judith, she is the niece of William the Conqueror, and she married a Dane/Englisman, Earl Waltheof. We get to see those big events, and we are also on the side, which I liked. You do not have to be in the middle of things to get the picture.

Judith, oh she was nice and turned into a bit of a shrew. Waltheof was nice, but did not really see the big picture.

But yes I thought the book would be about them, nope after half the book we get the POV of their daughter Mathilda and her marriage to Simon de Senlis. And it ended before the good part! Well the good part for me, I wanted to know about her second marriage to King David of Scotland. She was just so old, I get that they wanted a connection, still so old, could have been too old for kids (but was not), and I would have wanted to see the take on that.

Conclusion:
Interesting, but still not one of her best. She has many books after all. But worth the read.

Cover
nice

Paperback, 512 pages
Published January 31st 2007 by Sphere (first published January 17th 2002)
Historical fiction
Own

36 comments:

  1. I've read a few of her books, and I should read more. I love historical fiction set in medieval England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) I think I counted, and there are
      3 I have not read

      Delete
  2. Will there be another book do you think that focuses on her marriage to the King of Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that ship has sailed. The book is 13 years old after all :/

      Delete
  3. funny! I was just looking at this today, I love historical books like this, so kind of hoping I get an chance to read it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of her books work for me but I am not sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her books but haven't read this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How old was too old? Like geezer status?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Married at 39, and then have at least 4 more kids. And back then that was old

      Delete
  7. At least it was still good even if not her best. I have read a couple of works by her and I do like her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know she can do better, and did do better since this was an earlier book :)

      Delete
  8. Glad you enjoyed even if not her best

    ReplyDelete
  9. They cannot all be winners, but glad it was an ok read :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still need to pick up an Elizabeth Chadwick book. I've got a few others on the list. However, these are historical figures I'm unfamiliar with so now I'm curious about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have never read her?! Omg, you have to read her

      Delete
  11. That's cool. So the POV changes to the next generation in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the transition between two "stories" was seamless in any case. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. still have this one to read ... don't want to run out of EC's.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP