Sunday 2 October 2016

Carole's Sunday Review: Short stories

Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Title: Markheim
Genre: Short Stories, Classic, and Horror
Pages: 48
First Published: 1885
Where I Got It: On my shelf (Been on my shelf so long - its collected dust...I can't remember)

At Christmastime, Markheim, the protagonist, comes to a dealer’s shop, pretending that he is looking for a present for a lady. His real plan, however, is to murder the dealer so he can steal his merchandise and money. 


A horror story set during Christmas time? Yes! Perfect for everyone. 



Now, this short story was not to horror-y. It was much more thought-provoking and creepy. Markheim is not a nice man, but he is very charming and handsome, but he gets a true glimpse at his soul through a mirror that the dealer shares with him. 



At first I was very confused by what was going on and why Markheim decides to kill the dealer, but it all made sense after the introduction of the "devil".



This was good overall. I stamp this with 4 stars.






Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Title: The Body Snatcher
Genre: Short Stories, Classic, and Horror
Pages: 22
First Published: 1884
Where I Got It: On my shelf (Been on my shelf so long - its collected dust...I can't remember)

A young man studying medicine in Edinburgh is asked by his professor to be responsible for receiving the cadavers to be dissected by the school's students. Though he knows many are stolen from graves, he keeps his silence. Then one night he recognizes one of the cadavers as the victim of murder. Instead of turning in the culprit, he allows himself to be drawn deeper into the gruesome intrigue. But justice has the last laugh when the evidence of the man's crimes -- evidence he thought long since dissected and disposed of -- mysteriously resurfaces to his everlasting horror.


Now...now this was creepy and horrifying! At first I was okay with the story. Kinda grossed out with these fellas and then it quickly and suddenly turned scary! I wanted more...I wanted to story to continue. I really feel that the author could have done more with the story. Maybe I am just being spoiled? But the story was good and the concept was intriguing. 



There is for sure a lesson to be learned with this story....leave dead bodies alone dammit. Bad things happen



This was very good and I recommend it if you are looking for a quick, creepy, horrifying, Halloween read. I stamp this with 5 stars. 








8 comments:

  1. Oooh that second one does look like a good Halloween read :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh....yay for some good halloween reads!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my wife would love The Body Snatcher. I will have to throw it her way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both new to me. I never knew that Stevenson did horror and crime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that's a different Christmas story. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love horror or creepy stories this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! "Leave the dead bodies alone!" So true. These sound fun and scary, glad you got it off the shelf and enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP