Tuesday 4 October 2016

The game and the governess - Kate Noble

Three friends. One Wager. Winner takes all.

The Earl—‘Lucky Ned’ Ashby. Pompous, preening, certain that he is beloved by everyone.
The Miller—John Turner. Proud, forced to work as the Earl’s secretary, their relationship growing ever more strained. 
The Doctor—Rhys Gray. Practical, peace-loving, but caught in the middle of two warring friends.

Their wager is simple: By trading places with John Turner and convincing someone to fall in love with him, Ned plans to prove it’s him the world adores, not his money. Turner plans to prove him wrong.

But no one planned on Phoebe Baker, the unassuming governess who would fall into their trap, and turn everything on its head…

My thoughts:
The premise is...well I honestly want to kick Ned and John in a very private place. The game was a really crappy thing to come up with.

They change places, John Turner pretends to be an Earl. But he will start to fall for someone and he is just a miller (but his book is book 2.) He does seem like a good person except when he tries to ruin things for Ned.

Ned, oh yes, he is way too sure of himself and is all look at me. Now he has to pretend to be a secretary. And win the hand of a lady of birth. But how he bumbles along. Still, he does learn not to be so arrogant. But you know, he is an ass at first.

Pheobe then, she is a governess. Her dad died after losing their money. She is angry at a certain lord and drama!

Conclusion:
I still liked it cos Ned does change and he genuinely likes her. It was a sweet book.

Cover
It's missing half a head


  • Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
  • Published July 29th 2014 by Pocket Books (first published July 22nd 2014)
  • Winner Takes All #1
  • Historical romance
  • XoXo After Dark Free reads

33 comments:

  1. That is a really shitty wager! But I'm glad Ned grows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well. It's always good when a character goes through a transformation of sort. I like the switcheroo. Sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to get back to this genre. I just don't really like any of the ones published this century. LOL! I have a shelf full of 80's and 90's from my aunt but I have yet to get to them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Ned won you over in the end, I kind of want to punch him at the moment for making that wager:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol on the cover is missing half a head. I cannot tell you how many times I've written about those headless covers and how they annoy me.

    While this isn't my type of book I'm glad to see you liked it even after the wager.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol it's missing half a head, thats funny.
    Yay for governess stories tho

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy to hear that you didnt' want to kick Ned's junk by the end. Cover missing half a head... snort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read anything by this author but I'll have to check her out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet can be good, must try her some time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, these guys are "friends"? That must be one messed up relationship, and what a messed up up wager!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One works for the other one so there are tensions from before

      Delete
  11. Hmmm do you think I'd enjoy this one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A horrible wager but I read something like this before which all turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Men...always asses. ;) But this does have an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know that there is some character transformations...I do love that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh wagers are mostly so bad! Glad he won you over though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, I want to say I'd like this one... but in today's day and age, especially with what's in the media, I think my head would taint what is a fictional story and make it something worse.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP