Friday 30 December 2016

Best of 2016



To be honest, it seems I had a pretty bad book year. Rating wise, my average rating is 2.9! Now that is bad. These days I even try to avoid those ok books, but I guess I finished a lot of them this year. Sigh.

I have read 265 books this year, 25 of those were 4 star books....

Taking a quick look at the list and trying to remember ;) I might miss quite a few
I read:
8 audio books
14 novella/short story
1 graphic novel

And now to Best of

Best Historical Romance


I love HR, I read them for the fun of it, but even though I really like them, they seldom get that 4, because I am very cruel. Therefore I was very surprised when this one got a 4 this year. It was just that good.

Best Fantasy

This is book 2 in a series, and well I have suffered from book 2 syndrome a lot. But here, wow. Such a good book. Even better than book 1! I was impressed. That is how a series should evolve.

Runner-up

I usually do not do this, but when looking through GR and checking my reviews...well, I used the word intense a lot. I mean A LOT! Another series that just keeps getting better.

Best YA

I like how she writes, I liked the darkness of it all, and the world created. Great YA.

Runner-up

This one has not been translated, a shame really.

Best UF

This was one of those where it did take me a while to warm up to the series- But this one was excellent and one of those I need to pee, but F IT! I have to finish this book.

Best Steampunk

Ok, so it might be one of two steampunk books I read this year, and it was fantasy too, but it has to be on this list. Also BEST sidekick cat ever!

Best Er  tic romance

I seldom read this since I skim already in contemporary romance, but I read it, and damn, it was good! It was better than the contemporary romance I read this year. It gets both prizes.


Best Historical Fiction/Horror

This one actually gave me the chills. After having finished it I had to look out the window so no one was watching me. Such a claustrophobic feeling.

Best Fiction

How to be a young woman in a country where women are worth nothing. A powerful story.

And last, Best Memoir *coughs*
My cheat genre pick ;)


Because the series is just so fun and everyone should read it.

..........................................

And last a shout out to


 You all keep me motivated. Thank you!! This is the best challenge to have



40 comments:

  1. I hope to read a Hoyt book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the best of lists and see several books I want to read on yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun to read, and I get way too many books on my wishlists

      Delete
  3. Ohh I've always wanted to try reading Jim Butcher's books but now that you've mentioned that it's steampunk, maybe not so much. Lol. Thanks for sharing your best reads this year! Mine goes up on Jan 1st because I'm just too lazy this week. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steampunk fantasy, well still steampunk but maybe I can tempt you with that

      Delete
  4. Great list! I need to read Brennan, Bishop & Schwab!

    Adorable baby too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post. I love reading the Best of type posts. I'm going to think about joining FitReaders. That looks like fun and I always enjoy your posts each week.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New year!

      They are sure fun to read.

      And yes do join in!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of those but I'm quite behind on my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are really an eclectic reader looking at this list. yay for the Anne Bishop series. And may there be more 4stars + in your future 2017 reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved This Savage Song and Marked in Flesh! I haven't checked out the other novels you mentioned, though, so I definitely have to add those to my TBR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still need to read This Savage Song but I have high hopes for it. Hashimi's book sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. KITTY!! :D Good list. I need to read more HR b/c I do enjoy it too. Will have to pick up that one. Oh and I don't think you are really cheating with the memoir since it is written like one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so enjoyable! That is all I need

      Hehe, true

      Delete
  11. Sorry that your book year wasn't as good as you hoped (referring to the low ratings). Glad you had some really good books, though. I hope fyou find more great books in 2017.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were working hard to clean out older books and freebies so it doesn't surprise me there were a lot of lower average ratings.
    Oh neat. I'm eager to read the Elizabeth Hoyt and Anne Bishop series so glad to see them on your list.

    Congrats on your Fit Readers challenge, too!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I did not look at it that way.

      That Hoyt book was pure awesome. And Bishop sure threw me for a loop

      Happy New year!

      Delete
  13. Couldn't agree more with your fantasy picks, I loved both City of Blades and Saint's Blood. Also laughed at your memoir cheat pick :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, it had to be mentioned ;)

      It was a good year for second and third books, and fourth

      Delete
  14. I haven't read any of these.. 😳 I just bought this savage song though! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like some great books here!!! I am currently reading Duke of Sin and LOVING it, way more than I thought I would. Hope you enjoy more books in 2017!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for Cunning and Hoyt. I enjoy both of them :D Hope we both have a better 2017 for our books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. holy cannoli! Not a 5 in the bunch??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I have not given a 5 in YEARS. I do not give them

      Delete
  18. Marked in Flesh and Duke of Sin both made my Top of 2016 list as well! Woo Hoo! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP