Sunday 4 December 2016

Carole's Sunday Review: The boy who wanted wings - James Conroyd Martin

Author: James Conroyd Martin
Title: The Boy who Wanted Wings
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 358
First Published: September 2016
Where I Got It: My Shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)

Aleksy, a dark-complexioned Tatar raised by a Polish peasant family, holds in his heart the wish is to become a Polish hussar, a lancer who carries into battle a device attached to his back that holds dozens of eagle feathers. As a Tatar and as a peasant, this is an unlikely quest. When he meets Krystyna, the daughter of the noble who owns the land that his parents work, he falls hopelessly in love. But even though she returns his love, race and class differences make this quest as impossible as that of becoming a hussar. Under the most harrowing and unlikely circumstances, one day Aleksy must choose between his dreams. 


I could hardly put this down. So good, so good. The beginning was a little slow, but after a few pages, I was utterly hooked. I finished this book in a couple of sittings. I needed to know how Aleksy was going to get what he desired and what he deserved. 


I loved Aleksy! Even though some people treated him horribly, he had a big heart and he wanted to serve Poland. 



Krystyna was okay. At first, I didn't really like her and I thought Aleksy deserved someone better, but she proved herself and her love for him. What she did made me like her. I can't say what, but any other noble gal wouldn't do what she did. 



Krystyna's brothers were so annoying. Okay...I get why they hated Alek and they only wanted what was best for their family. However, I wanted to kick them! I'm glad the author humanized them. Yes, they were anti-Alex and whatnot, but they were not horrible people. It was the times! They wanted what they thought were best for them and their family. 



Now, the main reason I picked this book up was because this is set in Poland. There are not a lot of books out there set here! I also loved the cover and the title. The summary sounded good, so why not try this out?? I'm SO glad I did. This was really good. The characters were dynamic. They time period and setting were well brought to life. 



GAH! The ending, I wanted more. I wanted to more of their story. 



In the end, this was an addicting book. I could hardly put it down. The characters were very dynamic and the author brought the world to life. The beginning was a little rough, but the rest is worth it. I highly recommend this to historical fiction lovers. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 5. 






5 comments:

  1. always awesome when a character redeems themselves

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued by the place and era. Thanks for sharing about this one. I want to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, good thing you gave it a try. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP