Saturday 10 December 2016

Saturday Movie Night: Gilmore Girls


This month we have a special edition of Saturday Movie Night! We will be discussing "Gilmore Girls - A Year in the Life"! This is a TV movie series that is pretty much a continuation of the TV show. 



Title:  Gilmore Girls -  A Year in the Life
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Drama 
Running Time: 1 hour and 37 minutes
Rating: TV - 14
Released: 2016

Set nearly a decade after the finale of the original series, this revival follows Lorelai, Rory and Emily Gilmore through four seasons of change.


TRAILER: 



DISCUSSION: 
C: Now...this was a long time coming! I have been waiting for years for them to give some sort of closure/continuation of the show!

B: I can honestly not remember the end of the last season so for me it was a pleasant surprise.



C: I remember a wee bit. It's been SO long...so I think I forgot a lot.

C: Valid, valid. Now. What did you think about the structure of each episode/movie? Each one was over an hour long and took place in each season.
B: Eh, new eps, new life, all the better :D

B: They did feel looong, I would rather have had more eps. Now they were mini movies and sort of slow at times. But I did like the seasonal thing.

C: I think I would have preferred more episodes instead of short movies. I liked how they structured each piece IE Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. However, you are right...some parts dragged...especially in the first and last one.



B: They all blur together now, do I can not remember what dragged, except for the musical, snooooooze fest

B: It felt like they had nothing else to show so they invented that stupid musical! I was not really a fan of the Wild thing either.

C: . I hated the musical part. Like...it was so unnecessary to the whole plot. Ugh. I get that the one song had “meaning” and blah blah blah, but they could have cut out the rest of the musical bits. Too long.
C: Hahaha you are bad ;) I like Luke a lot. However, I am not the biggest fan of Lorelai (*gasps ensue*) I know, I know...she is like the main character next to Rory. But...I feel like she treats Luke like crap. And she horrid to her parents (which I get they have a bad relationship, but eh).
C: MMhmmmm I was neutral. I hated how it made Luke feel. But I think it was good for her...GAH so hard not to give spoilers….as a character. B: You know what, speaking of that, I am not a fan of them. They make me feel meh. I always wanted them to date but when they finally did I was all eh, bored now.
C: LOL the parents are stupid, but the whole funeral scene was so wow. You can’t think of one thing? ONE THING? >_< Yes, what Luke said wasn’t nice. BUT that was their original plan set down by Lorelai. They have separate lives and they come together at nighttime and sleep. I think they are both selfish people….but Lorelai is worse. She only ever considers Rory. Don’t mind my deep rooted contempt of her. XD
B: No comment on the parents, they have a bad relationship. As for her and Luke, well I still remember what he said. I take care of mine, you take care of yours. That had to stung. I also felt like they had grown apart. Sad but true. But the end gave me hope B: LOL, OMG. Let us agree to disagree, I like Lorelai more than Rory ;) I think Rory was a leaf in the wind in these eps. How could she be so unsuccessful?
C: Yesss! It killed me! Like….WTF? WHY? Rory is not a stupid girl...but she acted SO stupid. The ending. GRRRR!
C: Haha. Finnneeeee ;) I like Rory, but she bugs me with her love issues. I’m not sure how I feel how they made her unsuccessful and flighty. It seems SO not her. B: I thought she would be on top of the world, and she was just SO not. I did like her storyline in that aspect. I expected more. C: In a way, it made the show more interesting to see her be at her lowest. It was not AT all what I was expecting. B: True, it made for a good story, but it was just so not her. Not even to mention her lovelife, wtf, not cool.
C: Nope. Same here. BTW - which of Rory’s bfs was/is your favorite and least favorite? My favorite was Jesse (I liked Dean a lot too) and my least favorite is Logan. My hatred for Logan is like a dead red rose…..lolllll
B: That ending messed it up! I did NOT like it. It felt cliche and ugh no. I have seen that. C: Sad thing is I totally called it was going to happen, but I didn’t think they actually would do it. There was a huge foreshadow about 15 mins before the ending. I legit said, “No...they better not.” ugh and they did it. No. B: We all know how the history will end… C: Yup….I can already see how the future eppies are going to end up looking like. Sighs. However, I am a fan I know I’ll watch it. B: I will watch too, but I am not looking forward to it now



B: I lost all respect for Logan. I did not like how she and Dean had that thing. I am not really a fan of her and Jesse, but he is her Luke and after she has tried a few they will end up together. I want a new boyfriend, and not Paul ;)
C: Paul? Who’s that?.......BAHAHAHA! I think I’m funny today. But I can get behind a new and better BF for Rory B: That was honestly so weird, poor Paul.
C: I’m done. It was good, but it could have been better. Hopefully the next eppies don’t do what I think they are going to do.
C: Hahaha I thought it was hilarious. XD Mainly bc I had an ex with that name and he was nice like him, but forgettable. I barely can even remember what he looks like. B: Bad you ;) Done? C: *fingers crossed* The end?
B: The end



22 comments:

  1. I could never listen to them talk for more than 5 minutes at a time so I didn't watch the original.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to watch these soon. Loved watching the original show :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to skip these so far. They really sound dreadful to me :( I'll stick with the end of the original series I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to watch, but yes disappointed too

      Delete
  4. I watched the original series with my youngest daughter (she was in high school at the time). So far I've only had time to watch the winter episode. I thought it seemed long as well. I'll try to remember to come back and read your entire review when I finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watching this right now and I want to skip all the Lorelai and Rory scenes because they are awful people. Honestly, I'm only watching for Kirk and the other secondary characters now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, well I'm a fan of GG's. I caught on to it late though. A few years ago reruns were playing. Then it was available on Netflix so I was able to watch it right from the beginning. I really relate to Lorelei's strained relations with her parents. So, the revival series? I actually loved it. The musical was stupid though. Overall, a nice character development for all except Rory (she has some growing and work to do). That makes sense though and I kind of like that the story line showed her flaws for a change. No one is perfect! I was actually very moved by the last episode with Emily's growth and change as a widow. It actually brought tears to my eyes.

    p.s. I just popped over from KimbaCaffeineted book reviews. I often see your comments there and this topic drew me in. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the musical, sigh, unnecessary.
      And yes it was nice to see Rory with flaws, but still, she could have had some flaws and still made it. I just wanted to see her do something big :D

      Poor Emily, it really made me feel for her

      Delete
  7. I used to be a fan, but haven't decided if I want to watch this. Truthfully, I'm a bit tired by the endless parade of remakes, returns, and sequels. I'd rather just have my good memories and leave it well alone.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice, I watched this on and off when it was first on, and might catch a bit of this too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I skipped it because I still need to watch but soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I am actually one of the few who wasn't all giddy for this revisit to Stars Hallow. While I loved MOST of the original show, I felt the last couple of seasons went downhill. Repetitive story lines, bad decision making by the 2 main characters. so now that I read your review, I'm thinking I would just be annoyed by the whole thing. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with those last few seasons, especially the last one :/

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP