Thursday 5 January 2017

The Fifth Season - NK Jemisin

A season of endings has begun. 
It starts with the great red rift across the heart of the world's sole continent, spewing ash that blots out the sun. 
It starts with death, with a murdered son and a missing daughter. 
It starts with betrayal, and long dormant wounds rising up to fester. 
This is the Stillness, a land long familiar with catastrophe, where the power of the earth is wielded as a weapon. And where there is no mercy. 

My thoughts:
I haven't always had the best of luck with her books. I really liked one, next two in that series were ok and good. Then I tried another series and dnfed at once. So I came in with doubts, but it was a fresh new interesting world. I did wonder at times about a few things, but it all made sense in the end, and I can not say anything more about that.

The book is about 3 women. The first one has a murdered child and a missing child. She has a journey to make. And she is different from other humans. She has powers and they are looked down upon and considered dangerous. She also lives with those powers in secret. Here I got to learn about the outside world.

The second woman has been ...well honestly property all her life. There is a "school" for those with powers and she is sent on a mission. Her story showed me about what is really going on with people like her.

And last, there is the story of a young child discovered outside and being sent to that place for her and others safety.

All while the world is breaking like it always has. It has broken before, new empires have risen. The world has changed and will change again. I liked that because there are remnants left and questions to be had.

Nice characters, good story and a few twists.

Conclusion:
An interesting story that surprised me. I look forward to reading more.

Cover
meh

Paperback, 468 pages
Published August 4th 2015 by Orbit
The Broken Earth #1
Fantasy
Library

34 comments:

  1. I tried one of her earlier books and it wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this one! :) Agree, the characters are definitely interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to read her books! I have her other trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting! I haven't read books by her before, but she sounds like quite the hit or miss author with you. I'm glad this was more on the hit side for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...sounds interesting but I'm not sure if it would work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Glad this one wound up working out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I truly love that you read and like such an eclectic mix of books. This sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a good thing you kept giving the author a shot then. Glad you found one to like again.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds all sad!

    New url: http://www.caroleraesrandomramblings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard amazing things about this book so I'm curious to see how you find the rest of the series! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I got it from the library I told them to get more ;)

      Delete
  11. Whew maybe not for me but yay for a good surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm... interesting. I think I'll wait to see what you think of book 2 before I jump in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was my first book by Jemisin and I really enjoyed it. Hope you have a good time with the sequel too.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds kind of like a dystopian fantasy. Good that it is engaging you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the world has fallen many time and I am sure they had better tech at times, and will again, before it falls again

      Delete
  15. it's nice to see that this one was a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read this author before but that story sure does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this book and the next on my shelf. I need to get to them. But I'm going to hear the author talk tomorrow night too. Cool! :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP